Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would think at a minimum that DHS/TSA should have to produce evidence that supports the necessity of this type of ban/limitation.

Frankly I don't trust TSA to be honest in their dealings with the public. So show us why this extreme step is justified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daallo...nes_Flight_159

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/africa...ia-plane-bomb/
Old May 11, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
Doped up at home, transported naked except for passport and credit cards to the airport, wake up at your destination, buy clothes and things for your stay, repeat on the way back.
Where's that old Onion article?
Found it. They thought they were kidding.
Enjoy.
http://www.theonion.com/article/faa-...ssenger-ban-44
Old May 11, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Various news agencies are reporting that the TSA is considering expanding the ban to all flights from Europe to the US.

What about those of us that actually need to work on flights? This seems crazy to me. Is there really such a threat that all electronics will have to go be checked? What about the practice of banning Lithium batteries from the hold? How is this all going to work? AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!
Old May 11, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
DHS should at least exempt trusted travelers and flight crews from the ban.

nrg
Old May 11, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by mikeef
Ready to invest in Air Canada? Not so fast, mes amis. No way that the US doesn't bully Canada, not to mention Mexico, into joining us.
Invest in Cubana!
Old May 11, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Invest in Cubana!
And think about all of the neat aircraft that you can fly...like the IL-96, An-158 and the Tu-204.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:27 pm

Could this be a big decoy thing to get people talking about that and not Comey and Russia investigation?
Old May 11, 2017, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

If so-called “leaders” were required to follow the very policies they create for others, we most likely would not see as many implementations of ideas which seem to be ridiculous at best.

This thought is not limited to airport security.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Barciur
Could this be a big decoy thing to get people talking about that and not Comey and Russia investigation?
That would be brilliant except that I don't think that anyone other than 100 people on FlyerTalk are paying any attention.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An event from more than a year ago. If this is the root why 14 months to take action?

One other significant point with this 2016 event, it was an insider job.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 11, 2017 at 5:01 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is my biggest concern. I can live without a device other than my phone with me on board and in the airport (although I would hope that lounges would bring back computers if this happens--for example the DL SCs at NRT used to have lots and lots of apple machines), but I'm concerned about it being stolen from checked luggage or damaged in transit.
This is my concern as well, although I don't need a phone on the plane unless that's the only way to read. I can go back to taking enough books for flights, however.

A loaner laptop or using a public one while gone isn't a solution. No laptop will have the legacy and other specialized software I use regularly for my job--and need even on leisure trips to keep up with business emails I can't ignore for two weeks. (I'm self-employed, and, unfortunately, some of the work is always with me.)
Old May 11, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by linsj
This is my concern as well, although I don't need a phone on the plane unless that's the only way to read. I can go back to taking enough books for flights, however.

A loaner laptop or using a public one while gone isn't a solution. No laptop will have the legacy and other specialized software I use regularly for my job--and need even on leisure trips to keep up with business emails I can't ignore for two weeks. (I'm self-employed, and, unfortunately, some of the work is always with me.)
Same here and that applies to a lot of travelers from the EU to the US and the US to EU. We all need our computers to get work done and if traveling for business our employers expect that we are getting things done. I cannot image what my employer would do if I had to check my computer and then it didn't show up at the other end when i am expected to be productive.

I know that restrictions are coming on electronics. I hope that they do a reasonable approach. Not that i would like it, I would tolerate and could probably live with a one phone, one laptop/tablet restriction per/pax restriction. Though as i said earlier I wonder what happens if/when the EU bans the carriage of Li-Ion batteries in the hold of passenger aircraft. That is where things could get real interesting.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:52 pm

This article states that a decision has yet to be made: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...511-story.html

It seems to contradict [I]The Daily Best/I] article referred to earlier in this thread describing this as already done.

I am curious how long this will be drawn out for before a decision comes about (my preference would be for things to be left the way that they are and for there to be no expansion of any ban).
Old May 11, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by guflyer
This article states that a decision has yet to be made: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...511-story.html

It seems to contradict [I]The Daily Best/I] article referred to earlier in this thread describing this as already done.

I am curious how long this will be drawn out for before a decision comes about (my preference would be for things to be left the way that they are and for there to be no expansion of any ban).
Well a lot of this started from the ONE tweet that started this thread. With our current govt bragging about stopping leaks it was curious that a LEAK was sent to an aviation tweetsphere person and the majority of articles referenced it on DAY one then other articles referenced "sources". In other words, a scoop MAY not always hold truth behind it, still think it's possible for this ban to happen but the timeline sources gave was off.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:56 pm

The US govt will sure be making life difficult for its own employees, diplomats, and soldiers if they impose this.

I know some US diplomatic staff in countries affected by the initial ban. It turns out there is a hard and fast policy that US govt-owned electronics with sensitive data must be carried in person, not put in checked luggage. "Sensitive" extends considerably farther than "classified" in this context -- e.g., a laptop with human resources data, or proprietary information from a regulated firm or contractor bid. It's a low threshold, though it doesn't include all US govt equipment (e.g., if someone takes a blank laptop just to access remote email).

The rule is firm enough that these federal employees were instructed that if they were planning travel with sensitive government equipment, cancel existing reservations on affected flights and rebook connecting routes via Europe, even though that would mean higher fares and not using GSA city-pair contracts where available.

If it becomes essentially impossible to travel internationally with electronics on your person, I'm not sure how the US govt plans to resolve that -- rules for federal employees on protecting devices have been getting tighter, not looser.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.