Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty

Hoping this one turns out to NOT be true:

Old May 8, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Bloomberg:
U.S. Has No Plans to Expand Airline Laptop Ban to U.K. Airports

A U.S. aviation security agency said there are “no imminent” plans to add the U.K. or other nations to airports where passengers are banned from carrying electronic devices in the cabin on flights bound for American cities.

The U.K.’s Times and Guardian had reported that U.S. officials notified the U.K. they were considering such a move, citing unnamed Whitehall officials.

“There are no imminent changes to the electronics ban,” U.S. Transportation Security Administration spokesman Michael England said in an email. “However, we are continuously assessing security directives based on intelligence and will make changes when necessary to keep travelers safe.”

<snip>
Old May 8, 2017, 4:16 pm

However, reports from BWI and JFK today of at least two passengers being told they can't bring two laptops on board.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
"Unpredictable security measures" or 'screener discretion'?
Old May 8, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
"Unpredictable security measures" or 'screener discretion'?
Apparently screeners making up news rules on the spot rather than "discretion".
Old May 8, 2017, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please stay on topic

The topic of this thread is a possible "Electronic Devices Ban on flights from Europe to the US."

This has nothing to do with isolated TSA actions at JFK and BWI. You are free to start new a thread discussing those incidents.

Please stay on topic!
FlyerTalk Rule 5:

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 8, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: gate lice
OMAAT picked up on it:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...europe-flight/

Ridiculous, if you ask me. Yet another ridiculous policy to appease the masses by inconveniencing frequent travelers.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leungy18
OMAAT picked up on it:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...europe-flight/

Ridiculous, if you ask me. Yet another ridiculous policy to appease the masses by inconveniencing frequent travelers.
Policies like these only appease the security industry who lose purpose without ginning up secretive threats that never materialize.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Mods; thanks for adding [possible] my point to post is this is going around the grapevine and it refers SOLELY to the one tweet with no other shared factual basis. HOPE this isn't actually going to happen, I think US3 need to grow a bit of a spine and push back. All for explosive detection of PED's but this "theatre" will leave us like liquids. No actual threat happening any longer once identified and those with malicious thoughts move onto the next thing.

To add: CBS is now running this: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-elect...bly-expanding/

I'll hedge the bets that a convenient service to 100% screen a PED will come about and someone in the WH will have a buddy who makes bank of that service at airports.

Last edited by NickP 1K; May 8, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 8:23 pm

However, on the other hand, CBS News reports that:
TSA weighing expansion of laptop ban on flights

MAY 8, 2017, 6:34 PM | Sources familiar with ongoing discussions say it is likely the Department of Homeland Security will expand the ban on large electronics being carried onto planes. Sources say airports in Europe and the U.K. are among those likely to be added to the list. Kris Van Cleave has more.
P.S. I started composing this post before @NickP 1K edited his message to add a link to that news story.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Mods; thanks for adding [possible] my point to post is this is going around the grapevine and it refers SOLELY to the one tweet with no other shared factual basis. HOPE this isn't actually going to happen, I think US3 need to grow a bit of a spine and push back. All for explosive detection of PED's but this "theatre" will leave us like liquids. No actual threat happening any longer once identified and those with malicious thoughts move onto the next thing.

To add: CBS is now running this: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-elect...bly-expanding/

I'll hedge the bets that a convenient service to 100% screen a PED will come about and someone in the WH will have a buddy who makes bank of that service at airports.
Huh? That CBS article makes no sense. Why would they ban laptops on flights from the US?
Old May 8, 2017, 11:27 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:26 am
Old May 9, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Assuming it is true, I am sure Canada and Mexico will be happy about the extra travelers coming their way. The taxes/fees for the flights and potential overnight layovers at airport hotels for connections into the US would surely be appreciated.

Might be time to reach out to your US3's support desk to straighten up their spine once this story develops.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:07 am

After weeks of deliberation, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security could soon extend its electronics ban to flights to and from Europe.

Within the coming weeks, travelers could no longer be able to bring large electronics on flights to and from Europe, according to aviation analyst Alex Macheras, who said an official White House announcement would come later this week.
Here
Old May 9, 2017, 9:20 am

If this threat is so serious, why aren't they banning electronics on domestic flights too? The only thing I can think of is that the bombs are only large enough to cripple a plane. The crippled plane could land quickly if it was in the US but would not be able to make it to an airport if it was over the ocean.

Considering the TSA's testing failure rate, we probably should be more worried about this treat domestically. I can't imagine European airport security could be worse than the TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.