Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:14 am
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Ughhh... I accidentally redeemed a ticket to Europe awhile back with a layover in Istanbul but was able to do a flight change before the 24-hour grace period was up. The new itinerary has a layover in Vienna and cost a little more. Now, it seems the change wasn't necessary as it looks like the electronics restrictions at IST were lifted FML.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:01 am

Icelandic media has covered in some detail what changes to expect in security measures for US-bound flights. This seems to be an expansion of the existing SSSS-thing to also cover detailed screening of electronic devices for selected passengers. I guess (although it is not explicitly stated) that a lot more passengers are about to get the SSSS now.

At KEF, this will have the practical implication that the additional screening will take place at each departure gate rather then in a central location right after the exit passport control as before.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:07 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
So it looks like Electronic devices now might be banned from checked baggage and that you can now take it in the cabin only.

This is obviously just rumors i'm hearing.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw a report today that there will be extra scrutiny for electronics on flights between Mexico-USA.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
I saw a report today that there will be extra scrutiny for electronics on flights between Mexico-USA.
... and Colombia.

I started a thread on this : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...mexico-us.html

The Colombian government is saying they will reject laptops which are "scratched" or have missing parts. This just gets more and more bizarre.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 19, 2017 at 4:18 pm Reason: Update title of referenced thread.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by inet32
Originally Posted by TomMM
... and Colombia.

I started a thread on this : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...mexico-us.html

The Colombian government is saying they will reject laptops which are "scratched" or have missing parts. This just gets more and more bizarre.
Please continue this discussion in the referenced thread.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Flew BIO-AMS-SFO today.

At BIO, they were telling people to remove the charging cables. I had my laptop and iPad out.

But they had me pull out my DSLR on a second pass.

Then they motioned me to the side to bring all my trays. The guy swabbed my lenses, which are inside zipped up lenses cases, without having me pull them out. I also had some electronics like portable drives inside a packing cube. He swabbed the outside of it but didn't open the cube.

Big hassle was repacking everything while everyone else was doing the same on the other side of the scanner and there was limited table space so I laid out 4 or 5 trays on the floor by the swabbing station and repacked.

At AMS, where I had a 3 hour layover, I wandered all over the place, going to two different lounges. Never had to go through security again.

But at the gate, while boarding, they were taking their time scanning in the boarding passes. Maybe they were pulling people randomly to do searches though that didn't seem to be the case. I don't know if they were suppose to be asking questions.

But as I tried to walk through the SkyPriority line, they told me to wait and I had to wait as there was a queue at the counter, 2 lines, about 2 people deep. Seemed like they were studying their screens and comparing to the info. on the boarding pass.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Action

Posts discussing new screening procedures at US airports of electronic devices larger than cellphones were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:23 am

Just came back from a trip to the US: FRA-SFO, SJC-FRA. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Vanity Fair article on the Israeli operation which led to the discovery that ISIS was working on laptop bombs and how that intel was shared by Trump with the Russians.

But it's this operation, which involved Israeli special forces going into Syria, which led to the DHS pushing for enhanced security.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017...ump-intel-slip
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:08 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

The Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum is for discussing airport & border security security policies. This is not the place to discuss politics.

Please feel free to discuss the intelligence obtained by the Israelis that lead to the implementation of the enhanced airport security which is the subject of this tread. However, if you wish to discuss the possible leaks of classified report and this administration's relations with the Israelis and the Russians, please do so in OMNI/PR*, where there is at least on thread discussing the Vanity Fair article.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884

* Access to OMNI/PR is limited to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and posted 180 messages. Please do not go on a posting run to gain access to OMNI, as post-padding is against the FT Rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.