Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The latest news says some later news is coming. I do wish they would stop fannying around and just announce it so we can then work out plan b.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I heard about this new plan on CNBC. They were teasing the announcement due today.

So I went online and searched and found this:

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_re...ation-security

Basically a CT scanner company is announcing a deal with AA to deploy CT scanners in "airports worldwide."

AA is a launch partner for this company, whose product is now undergoing TSA and EU certification.

What I don't understand is why AA would be buying this equipment. Wouldn't it be the airports or whatever entity runs the airports?

Or would it be TSA or some other agency charged with airport security?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
The Trump administration is threatening to expand its laptop ban to all U.S.-bound flights from anywhere in the world for airlines that fail to take additional security measures against concealed explosives, DHS plans to announce today.

The restrictions would also apply to checked luggage — not just to the carry-on bags targeted by a more limited ban the U.S. imposed for some Middle Eastern airports in March. That additional provision would make the ban considerably more onerous for business travelers, but would also avoid the dangers of stacking laptops and their flammable lithium batteries inside planes' cargo holds.

But the new measures could also allow several foreign-owned airlines to escape the existing laptop ban that the U.S. imposed in March for carry-on luggage from 10 airports in the Middle East and North Africa, if they adopt the additional screening procedures.

The U.S. hasn't announced when the new restrictions would take effect but said some airlines could adopt the enhanced security procedures as early as this summer.

Like the initial ban, the expanded restrictions would apply to electronic devices larger than a cellphone, including laptops, tablets and e-readers.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...rldwide-240056
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Still an announcement about the announcement, but with more details:
US to Seek More Security on International Flights

Industry and U.S. officials briefed on the announcement said airlines flying directly to the United States will be required to implement the enhanced measures. If they don't, their passengers may be barred from carrying laptops and other large electronics in passenger cabins.

The new policy will provide a roadmap for airlines and airports that could lead to those bans being lifted. Neither official provided a timeline for compliance. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the changes publicly before the government announcement Wednesday afternoon.

The changes comes after the Transportation Security Administration said this month that it is testing computed-tomography, or CT, scanning at one checkpoint at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport... American Airlines, which is participating in the test, said the technology could let passengers leave laptops, liquids and aerosols in their carry-on bags, speeding up the trip through the airport.

Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The DHS Fact Sheet is out for these "enhanced security measures". The term fact sheet is apparently a loose one:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/06/28/...-united-states
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wco81
AA is a launch partner for this company, whose product is now undergoing TSA and EU certification.

What I don't understand is why AA would be buying this equipment. Wouldn't it be the airports or whatever entity runs the airports?

Or would it be TSA or some other agency charged with airport security?
Aren't the airlines the ones that hire the people who ask the security questions and put a sticker on your passport? (where was your luggage, who packed it, ...)

So maybe the airlines now have to do the same "interrogation" for bags, in addition to the airport-native screening?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Aren't the airlines the ones that hire the people who ask the security questions and put a sticker on your passport? (where was your luggage, who packed it, ...)
Yes, the airline's employees and/or contractors in the main. [But sometimes it has been plain clothes US government employees.]

There are flights to the US from c. 150 countries?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
At YYC this morning, they were swabbing every single laptop, FWIW.

I was glad to have NEXUS to take the shortcut past the bulk of the security line, but overall, it didn't seem to be slowing things too badly.

They also swabbed all of my DSLR gear (though not as carefully as the laptop; they gave the laptop swabs along all sides, opened it up, swabbed the keyboard, etc.).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
At YYC this morning, they were swabbing every single laptop, FWIW.

I was glad to have NEXUS to take the shortcut past the bulk of the security line, but overall, it didn't seem to be slowing things too badly.

They also swabbed all of my DSLR gear (though not as carefully as the laptop; they gave the laptop swabs along all sides, opened it up, swabbed the keyboard, etc.).
Saw your comment in WaPO also.

--

Two thoughts:

1. As with the uproar about screening books, TSA backing down from laptop ban shows that protests can have an impact on them.

2. That said, if I heard the report on NBC Nightly News correctly, airlines are upset because they were not consulted. As well, it is admitted that small countries are going to have severe problems instituting new security requirements.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Another story:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...idUSKBN19J21S?

The decision not to impose new laptop restrictions eases U.S. and European airlines' concern that expanding the ban to Europe or other locations could cause major logistical problems and deter travel.
Airlines that fail to satisfy new security requirements could still face in-cabin electronics restrictions, Kelly said. "We expect all airlines will work with us to keep their aircraft, their crew and their passengers safe," he said.
European and U.S. officials told Reuters that airlines have 21 days to put in place increased explosive trace detection screening and have 120 days to comply with other security measures, including enhanced screening of airline passengers.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:20 pm

Looking at various articles and the fact sheet, I cannot figure out which new security measures to expect. Can anyone post a summary of them?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:42 am

So the US now expects other countries to pay for it's security theatre.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
Another story:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...idUSKBN19J21S?

European and U.S. officials told Reuters that airlines have 21 days to put in place increased explosive trace detection screening and have 120 days to comply with other security measures, including enhanced screening of airline passengers.
IOW, now the US expects other countries to practice sexual assault of airline passengers
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
IOW, now the US expects other countries to practice sexual assault of airline passengers
Wouldn't that go to show that the "electronic devices ban" was just a ploy used to try to further manipulate the public and foreign governments.

Eventually, more people will realize the government is "the boy who cried wolf". Being the "boy who cried wolf" complicates the security scenario and is in and of itself a strategic security threat to the "boy who cried wolf" and "the flock", even those who are not sheep amongst sheep.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Wouldn't that go to show that the "electronic devices ban" was just a ploy used to try to further manipulate the public and foreign governments.

Eventually, more people will realize the government is "the boy who cried wolf". Being the "boy who cried wolf" complicates the security scenario and is in and of itself a strategic security threat to the "boy who cried wolf" and "the flock", even those who are not sheep amongst sheep.
Wouldn't surprise me one tiny bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.