Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by sunshinekid
DHS decision is based on security. Or it is based on TSA stuffing its pockets, by mandating something that is easily overcome if it had more money, but TSA can not ask for more money because its track record for security is deplorable. TSA must force US Congress to mandate more using outside pressure.

But putting faith in a dog, really isn't a good idea.
What makes you think that anything DHS/TSA has ever done has been based on actual security?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Something else that did just come to mind: On some trips (mostly domestic), a second ticket would be cheaper than insuring and shipping stuff. Presuming that this was done at security, what's to stop someone from simply buying a ticket for a friend on the cheapest flight of the morning (or on a no-fee refundable ticket), have them carry a pair of surplus devices through security, and then have the friend simply no-show on the flight? I can say with reasonable certainty that a "Basic Economy" ticket can end up being cheaper than overnighting stuff, while in the case of an international trip eating a cancellation fee on a ticket would be less hassle than frakking around with dealing with shipping and customs.
1) You're doing it the expensive way. The friend would be on the cheapest flight from the same airside zone, it need not be your flight.

2) You're doing it the expensive way. The friend should be on a fully refundable ticket later in the day. No cost but time.

3) If you're not traveling alone simply have one person go back out and bring more stuff in. I've cleared security with the same BP three times once. (IRROPS situation, one trip out for food, one trip out to talk to the counter as I couldn't find anyone airside that knew anything.)
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
1) You're doing it the expensive way. The friend would be on the cheapest flight from the same airside zone, it need not be your flight.

2) You're doing it the expensive way. The friend should be on a fully refundable ticket later in the day. No cost but time.

3) If you're not traveling alone simply have one person go back out and bring more stuff in. I've cleared security with the same BP three times once. (IRROPS situation, one trip out for food, one trip out to talk to the counter as I couldn't find anyone airside that knew anything.)
1) Well, it would also need to be at least minimally coordinated in terms of time as well. If my flight is at 1700 their flight can't be at 0900 (vice-versa might not be much of an issue).
2) That depends on the cost of a fully-refundable ticket, but as long as they can pull one on a domestic flight in the same airside zone it shouldn't be too bad.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
New article that addresses the batteries in the hold issues: http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...ght-laptop-ban

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) asked top lawmakers on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee to hold a hearing on the dangers of storing a large number of laptops and other large electronics underneath aircraft, which is expected to occur more as passengers are now banned from carrying those devices onto certain flights.
The last line is the most chilling. I think John Kelly will be responsible for more deaths on American soil than any terrorist attack since 9/11 if he institutes this.
A Department of Homeland Security spokesman told reporters last week that a final decision has not yet been made, adding that the JetBlue fire would not impact the department’s decision.
This puff piece is currently on Drudge report highlighting how scary the threat is and how the TSA will save us: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/0...son-kicks-off/

A 9-volt battery,” says TSA officer Camille Morris. “A AA battery is fine. A AAA. A 9-volt battery is a huge power charge. The size of the battery that can take down a plane when attached to an explosive.”
I'm pretty sure a pencil can take down an airplane when attached to an explosive. Between in seat power and the lighting in the bathrooms there is no shortage of electrical sources on a plane.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FL390
A 9-volt battery, says TSA officer Camille Morris. A AA battery is fine. A AAA. A 9-volt battery is a huge power charge. The size of the battery that can take down a plane when attached to an explosive.
I had a very thorough inspection several years ago in SLC exactly because I carry spare 9V batteries. She said it was because that was the preferred power for detonators. I have 4 devices that each take 2 batteries. I have a full set of back ups, 16 batteries total.

Furthermore, I have a laptop that doubles as a device controller so it is loaded up with a double battery, a hard drive bay battery and a special order non-replaceable battery inside the case. This is addition to my iPad that is also a controller trough a special app.

Not only this, the rare earth batteries, the transducers that look like little grenades (with a bit of imagination) and the 100+ feet of cabling and I nearly always get a bag rape.

With these new rules, I may never get through security ever again.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I can't remember the last time I had a device which used 9-volt batteries.

Those old transistor radios which relied on speakers for sound output, often without any earphone jacks.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, B6 TrueBlue, Global Entry
http://fox43.com/2017/06/07/trump-ad...more-airports/

Kelly is essentially saying other countries flying to the US must meet "minimum increased security standards" (read: follow TSA screening procedures and rules on Large Electronics/Laptops being screened in a separate bin, more ETD swabs, 311 for LGA, etc.). and if they do not, that country will be subject to the electronics ban. He also acknowledged the issue about Li-On Batteries in the hold, and that probably led to this compromise.

Last edited by quillbin; Jun 7, 2017 at 1:06 pm Reason: Clarity and content
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81

Those old transistor radios which relied on speakers for sound output, often without any earphone jacks.
ICP accelerometer power supplies require 18VDC so 2-9V in series is convenient and easy.

Also, personal in-the-ear stage monitors and belt pack wireless microphones/instrument outputs are commonly 9V. A lot of musicians travel with these.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:10 pm

If you want to win beer money from your fellow EOD Technicians at the range bet them you can set off a military cap with one AAA battery. They will not believe you and will gladly maKe the bet and you will take their money. Make sure you sandbag it and take all necessary precautions. more importantly if you are teaching x-ray interpretation and developing images for training youneed to use all types of power sources in your image recognition traing (not just 9 volts)

http://www.academia.edu/17153788/Ele...e_Requirements
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81

IR thermometer, backup batteries for a couple of devices. Smoke alarms.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
9V batteries are only any good to prove you are tough by touching the connectors to your tongue. I always carry one for that purpose especially on planes and buses as it keeps the seat next to me free.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by quillbin
http://fox43.com/2017/06/07/trump-ad...more-airports/

Kelly is essentially saying other countries flying to the US must meet "minimum increased security standards" (read: follow TSA screening procedures and rules on Large Electronics/Laptops being screened in a separate bin, more ETD swabs, 311 for LGA, etc.). and if they do not, that country will be subject to the electronics ban. He also acknowledged the issue about Li-On Batteries in the hold, and that probably led to this compromise.
This sounds like good news... hopefully they have realized that destroying the travel industry is not the solution to the security issue.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by whitearrow
This sounds like good news... hopefully they have realized that destroying the travel industry is not the solution to the security issue.
Anyone know how many airports in Europe have direct flights to the US? What's the count? if it is less than 71 then what other countries/areas could be involved?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
TSA pre-check means that my laptop is not screened in a separate bin. A bit of a contradiction methinks.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
TSA pre-check means that my laptop is not screened in a separate bin. A bit of a contradiction methinks.
They're talking about making travelers remove food, books, and all electronic devices larger than a smartphone come fall domestically (US / TSA - source).

The way it's been explained to me at some airports with Precheck light, they have upgraded X-rays that can see through the noise in the precheck lane allowing for one laptop. When passenger loads don't sustain they just use the old regular lanes (why not the new lane with the better xray? Who knows. Could be a load of BS too).

But I went through a brand new CATSA (Canadian security) PLUS lane in YYZ today and even with all electronic devices larger than a smartphone removed other than a single 20000mah battery, they sent my bag for secondary inspection and asked me to divest a ton of stuff.

It sounds like the TSA is probably catching up with international peers on removing noise from bags due to screening penetration test failures, and the expectations will be similar worldwide.

Apparently CT scanners can discern a lot more of this more easily, hopefully (if true) they will more quickly come to security checkpoints in the future...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.