Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
It's got to be far more than half a million!
Half a million a day. Typo, shouldn't have typed a year when it's a day.

IATA has c 4.3k international US flights noted for daily average, with c 560k passengers on board daily.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do these scanners actually depend on TSA employees watching each and every bag or do they have some kind of image-recognition and machine vision to flag suspicious items automatically for the agents?

With all the money being poured into development of MV and AI for image recognition in such applications as self-driving cars, it should be possible to leverage that towards airport security technology.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Is there new news or just a slow news day? Chicago local NBC news just led with a sort of fearful "total ban of laptops from planes coming at any moment" teaser.

And now on NBC national news.

Last edited by milepig; May 29, 2017 at 4:37 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Almost all international flight crew members travel with laptops or tablets. What happens to them? Also banned?
Old May 29, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Half a million a day. Typo, shouldn't have typed a year when it's a day.

IATA has c 4.3k international US flights noted for daily average, with c 560k passengers on board daily.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
You are assuming that they will gate check the devices. What if the policy of no LiOn in the checked baggage expands and the answer is that you can't transport electronics period?
If I can't take my camera on vacation to an international destination then I will not go.
I doubt it will get to that, no electronics at all. That would be a death blow to air travel.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What happens when these new generation of scanners are installed?

DHS is going to waive the ban for those airports which have installed the new equipment?

Or are they just going to maintain the ban until most or all of the major airports in the world have made the capital expenditures and investment in training to get the more capable scanners up and running?
Old May 29, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by susiesan
If I can't take my camera on vacation to an international destination then I will not go.
I doubt it will get to that, no electronics at all. That would be a death blow to air travel.
We would scale back or change our plans. Many trips the wife and I take have heavy photography centric parts. I think a total ban on electronics would be so extreme that even the most security-subserviant members of the public would be up in arms. Surely DHS wouldn't be that stupid I hope?
Old May 29, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
New app. PhotoBNB. You go to another country and rent someone else's amazing photography equipment. Or someone else's crap. You choose the price, just like AirBNB.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:08 pm

New app. PhotoBNB. You go to another country and rent someone else's amazing photography equipment. Or someone else's crap. You choose the price, just like AirBNB.
I could almost see that working. The wrinkle is that DSLRs and mirrorless camera bodies have a large number of settings that need to be customized for the camera to work optimally for different photographers. That would be a major pain!
Old May 29, 2017, 6:09 pm

How do you access the appif you can't take your phone?
Old May 29, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
If this ban hurts travel and business between Europe and the US, that's a feature, not a bug.
DHS, though, keeps hinting that the ban will apply to all international flights, though, not just Europe and the Middle East.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by artemis
I could almost see that working. The wrinkle is that DSLRs and mirrorless camera bodies have a large number of settings that need to be customized for the camera to work optimally for different photographers. That would be a major pain!
I've also seen some folks with too much money and not enough common sense absolutely abuse high-quality camera gear they'd rented. (Hope they had really good insurance on it!) Don't get me started on the lady who said "she wanted the best gear, so she could take professional shots" and who had rented something like $20k of stuff which she couldn't even figure out how to use...

I also don't know that rental or AirB&B-style private rentals would necessarily cover all the specialized gear. I bet it would be hard to find a tilt-shift lens near a lot of places I've traveled and used one; likewise, although I suppose I could find a 500mm or 600mm telephoto in places with a lot of wildlife, I doubt the supply is such to meet demand should everyone have to rent locally (nor would it likely grow quickly, even in response to a ban; recouping that $11k investment takes a lot of rentals...).
Old May 29, 2017, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by artemis
Sure — if a person does not mind suddenly spending significantly more money per trip to rent camera equipment with no added benefit than what one has currently when traveling with his or her own gear.

The potential financial aspect of this issue would be a higher priority for many travelers than the wrinkle of a large number of customized camera settings, in my opinion.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
The way I'm reading this, we're looking at one of two scenarios:
(1) They're not that stupid. The chatter on either a total electronics ban or a larger-than-a-phone ban (with the natural shouting match over where the line between a phone and a tablet is) is aimed at ensuring there's a sigh of relief in the face of a partial climbdown rather than a lynch mob at a partial ban. "Managing expectations" is the name of the game.
(2) They are that stupid. I tend to suspect that Europe will probably reject a solution approaching a total ban, and there's likely to be hell to pay in some other cases.

I will say, with due disrespect to Mr. Munoz, that now would be a very good time for the airlines to start drawing a bold line under fifteen years of documented bumbling, failed red team tests, etc., and saying something to the effect of "Look, we'd love to back you up, but until the TSA gets their house in order and their head out of their hindquarters on a whole bunch of fronts, we really can't."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.