FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1841420-electronic-devices-ban-europe-us-merged-threads.html)

flyerCO May 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by S_D_P (Post 28295671)
So at DOH you essentially "gate check" your laptop?
And then it is handed back to you at the arrival gate instead of luggage claim?

It's given back in the luggage hall. However they're on a separate station. They don't go on the baggage conveyor belts. They wrap them in bubble wrap and then place in a sturdy cardboard box at the DOH gate.

rickg523 May 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF (Post 28295726)
actually you said most leisure travel ;-).

That was a mistaken submit. Went back and fixed it.
And you can see I'm no fan of this set of security boneheads. They remind me of Jon Stewart's description of Congress "f--tards who couldn't solve a problem of it was eating them alive anus first"

steveholt May 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Another question: given that the security situation will be entirely different (I'm far more reticent to fly on a plane from Europe with 100+ lithium ion batteries inside people's luggage in the cargo hold), will this be grounds to request a refund on any Europe->US flight?

Widgets May 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Sounds like good business for Canadian airlines, unless Canada already bans laptops.

MSPeconomist May 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Ugh. A Canadian arrival followed by a transborder flight sounds horrible to me. Being required to do preclearance is bad enough when one is visiting Canada.

artemis May 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 28295708)
And I think this is about as expected with this crew of security industry grafters. Just like with the body scanners sold to the US by a company in bed with the head of DHS. It's an old fashioned American style money grab using security and war as a cover.

I'm not seeing the money grab aspect on this one, though. The scanners, yes - that required every airport to purchase brand-new and very expensive equipment. This, though, is just a flat ban - not some enhanced "special screening" setup that would mandate hiring more people and/or equipment. Where's the money in it?

I think this just comes down to paranoia and fear on the part of politicians. God forbid we tell the American people that there are some threats out there that simply can't be eliminated at any reasonable cost (at least not right now), and that we may simply have to learn to live with.

notquiteaff May 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF (Post 28295670)
Personally I would be less annoyed if this risk was judged more equally with other risks we face everyday. Being killed by a terrorist ranks well below the risks that I'll be killed by a fellow American with a car or a gun or kill my self in my bathroom by accident. We seem to go to extremes about the "terrorist" threat yet ignore much more significant risks in my opinion.

Yup.

The weapon du jour seems to be a stolen big rig truck. Time to ban those?

And has anyone evaluated the risk increase from all those lithium ion batteries stored in the hood? I think it was Delta that had two significant burn incidents last year with laptops in the overhead bins?

dmarge18 May 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28295655)
3)This sadly includes noise cancelling headphones.

Where did you hear this? I'm all for a riot regarding the asinine laptop ban, but this is a Syrian red-line...

flyerCO May 10, 2017 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by dmarge18 (Post 28295876)
Where did you hear this? I'm all for a riot regarding the asinine laptop ban, but this is a Syrian red-line...

They don't comply with the size limitations. They get put in the box with my laptop every flight back to US.

milepig May 10, 2017 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by artemis (Post 28295619)
What scares me is that I plan my vacations months in advance, and what is not affected by the ban today could be in six months or so. Who knows how far and how fast this idiocy will spread?

I have a trip in July and must have my laptop for work. If the airline won't guarantee the security of my checked bag I will cancel the flight and demand a refund and go to court if necessary. This is insane. As someone else said, this is 2017 and we're all connected. It isn't about the 8 hours in flight. It's about how nothing is secure in a checked bag. What are we supposed to do?

MSPeconomist May 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by artemis (Post 28295861)
I'm not seeing the money grab aspect on this one, though. The scanners, yes - that required every airport to purchase brand-new and very expensive equipment. This, though, is just a flat ban - not some enhanced "special screening" setup that would mandate hiring more people and/or equipment. Where's the money in it?

I think this just comes down to paranoia and fear on the part of politicians. God forbid we tell the American people that there are some threats out there that simply can't be eliminated at any reasonable cost (at least not right now), and that we may simply have to learn to live with.

Step one: Ban and make it as inconvenient as possible for many frequent/business travelers.

Step two: Insist on spending lots and lots of money to screen so that the ban can be rescinded.

Bonus if the huge expenditure also requires the hiring and training of more staff.

wolf72 May 10, 2017 9:34 pm

This is getting really silly now....why not also ban business travel to the US.

Why not just ban everyone who is not american from flying to the US.

I really do wish the US the very best of luck for the future with all these ban's and the way they treat foreigners visiting their country.

It is just terrible. And for the nice chaps on here who will say "well, if you don't like it, don't travel here..." I would just say it\s actually your loss.

artemis May 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 28295910)
It isn't about the 8 hours in flight. It's about how nothing is secure in a checked bag.

The ban would certainly be a lot less onerous if the electronic devices could be placed inside a hard-sided case like a Pelican case that is then securely padlocked with a real lock (not one of those "TSA approved" non-locks everyone has the master key to) before being checked, with the airline held fully liable if the item goes missing or is damaged. This can be done; it's how firearms are transported by air within the US today. And firearms are almost never lost in transit.

When the electronics are transported with the same attention to security that firearms are, then I'd check my camera without complaint. (And if this ban DOES get extended to US domestic flights, I'll start traveling with a firearm in the case with my electronics to insure that happens. But that trick won't work for international travel.)

KDCAflyer May 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72 (Post 28295930)

I really do wish the US the very best of luck for the future with all these ban's and the way they treat foreigners visiting their country.

It is just terrible. And for the nice chaps on here who will say "well, if you don't like it, don't travel here..." I would just say it\s actually your loss.

I'm really pissed at my country in general right now. Oh how I wish my British stepmom had claimed me as a dependent back in the day.

flyerCO May 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72 (Post 28295930)

I like how the QR CEO put it. He basically said the US isn't going to be happy till we're bringing nothing on the plane and are onboard naked.