Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Old May 18, 2017, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
.... as if people with extensive background checks never commit crimes and never get exploited by criminals such as terrorists.
Did you know you can hide bomb in your behind? Should be thus ban people of large size?
Old May 18, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It would be interesting if there's a divergence of other aviation authorities from whatever DHS does.

If the EU bans devices in the cargo hold while DHS requires it because of the cabin ban, one of them is going to come off looking bad after a year or two.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: QR Silver
I understand it's the batteries that are difficult to distinguish from a bomb.
In that case, I don't understand why they don't simply forbid big batteries and allow the rest of the electronics. X-rays are perfectly capable of detecting big batteries. Too logical?
Old May 18, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Clear, Nexus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
.... as if people with extensive background checks never commit crimes and never get exploited by criminals such as terrorists.
Even the most hardened criminals had a clean criminal record at one point in their lives...
Old May 18, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
An option would be to allow people fly with electronics who agree to extensive background checks. Anyone who does not agree to these checks won't be allowed to bring anything onboard.
Who would do that background check? What do you think are the chances that DHS is accepting a background check performed by the French? Or the Egyptians?
Old May 18, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Who would do that background check? What do you think are the chances that DHS is accepting a background check performed by the French? Or the Egyptians?
They won't.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Why not simply have the person turn on the electronic device to prove that it is indeed legit? We used to have to do this many years ago...
Old May 18, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gumbleby
I understand it's the batteries that are difficult to distinguish from a bomb.
In that case, I don't understand why they don't simply forbid big batteries and allow the rest of the electronics. X-rays are perfectly capable of detecting big batteries. Too logical?
Yep
Old May 18, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Did you know you can hide bomb in your behind? Should be thus ban people of large size?
I'm quite aware of the "butt-bomber" who struck at a Saudi prince then acting as a deputy intelligence chief of sort. That attacker was not of large size by American standards.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Why not simply have the person turn on the electronic device to prove that it is indeed legit? We used to have to do this many years ago...
As discussed before, the fear/claim is that the bad guys have developed techniques that make the devices work for a short period of time (small battery) while still containing explosive material. Difficult to see how that would work with, say, my Bose earbuds, but ... logic doesn't necessarily apply here. I can also easily take much more than 100 ml of a liquid onto a plane.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They won't.
Then what's your Proposal? The rest of the world accepts Global Entry as a permit to carry on laptops and there is no reciprocity? Not going to happen.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Clear, Nexus
Supposedly the terrorists have figured out how to replace part of the battery with a bomb. This leaves enough of the battery intact to power up the device for a few minutes for a security check, while still containing a working bomb.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are ways to use a battery to mask explosives while still allowing the item to have enough power to power on. It's more complicated than some of the alternatives where powering on isn't required, but it's possible.

Effective ETD use would do us better than battery bans in passenger cabins that result in batteries in the hold.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by sbrower
So if the hull carriers say "No LiOn in the cargo bay" and if the security regulations say "no electronics in the passenger compartment" then that means that no electronics will fly (assuming exceptions will be made for airline operated equipment so that flight crews can still use their stuffs.
Im pretty sure that others know the insurance and LiOn situation better than I do, but it's my understanding that DEVICES with LiOn batteries are OK, but it's the shipment of "unaccompanied batteries " that's prohibited. If that's correct, then whether one's IPad resides below deck isn't such a large issue. Is it?
Dave
Old May 18, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iad2jfk
Supposedly the terrorists have figured out how to replace part of the battery with a bomb. This leaves enough of the battery intact to power up the device for a few minutes for a security check, while still containing a working bomb.
Batteries out. Into compartmentalized fire and explosion safe containers in the hold.
For equipment with non-removable batteries, use the current firearm protocol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.