Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most of the "and the kitchen sink" cabin baggage passengers whom I see at LHR don't seem to be pulling out laptops and tablets out of their bags at LHR, and so I wouldn't expect the ban to do much good in that regard.
Well I must be unlucky then because every time I am behind them it is like an advertisement for Apple products !
Old May 16, 2017, 3:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aidy
i'd like to see what happens if the rule (not sure which yet) becomes global.

As im getting married in 2 months, my Canadian wife will then move back to the UK, and how do we move all of her PED's, if restricted to a certain amount in total (the option 8)
Shipping/FedEx/DHL/etc.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Shipping/FedEx/DHL/etc.
think ill do many flights (and build up the Avios & TP's for me next adventure)
Old May 16, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Shipping/FedEx/DHL/etc.
I'm going to hazard a guess here, but depending on the option chosen I suspect that some airlines might offer some sort of "secure shipment" program with guaranteed 24-hour delivery, heightened insurance levels, and any security work to either be done at the time the device is handed over [1] or, if not then, only with a warrant/court order (or something like that) complementary to pax in J/F and for a fee in Y (or complementary in F and for a fee in J/Y). Back in "the day" it was not at all uncommon for railroads to offer something like this (sans the security stuff) if you were traveling on a train with no checked luggage (and indeed, you can still do something like this on Amtrak under the right circumstances). I want to say that "send the luggage on a later flight" deals might also have been done with the Concorde.

To be fair, this won't avoid the issue of having a bunch of laptops on a single cargo flight, but it's better than nothing and I do suspect that given a set of guarantees and controls this would work for most folks. The main jam would be Customs, but even there I could see some sort of agreement coming to pass kludging around that. CBP might not like it but I suspect that depending on the attached T&C something could be worked out (perhaps requiring an in-person pickup instead of home delivery).

[1] Which would probably mean, in practice, most of the PEDs having to go through a "swabbing ceremony" at that point...but as noted in a Bloomberg article, there are folks who will go through a lot of hassles to avoid risking their stuff being hacked.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm going to hazard a guess here, but depending on the option chosen I suspect that some airlines might offer some sort of "secure shipment" program with guaranteed 24-hour delivery, heightened insurance levels, and any security work to either be done at the time the device is handed over [1] or, if not then, only with a warrant/court order (or something like that) complementary to pax in J/F and for a fee in Y (or complementary in F and for a fee in J/Y). Back in "the day" it was not at all uncommon for railroads to offer something like this (sans the security stuff) if you were traveling on a train with no checked luggage (and indeed, you can still do something like this on Amtrak under the right circumstances). I want to say that "send the luggage on a later flight" deals might also have been done with the Concorde.

To be fair, this won't avoid the issue of having a bunch of laptops on a single cargo flight, but it's better than nothing and I do suspect that given a set of guarantees and controls this would work for most folks. The main jam would be Customs, but even there I could see some sort of agreement coming to pass kludging around that. CBP might not like it but I suspect that depending on the attached T&C something could be worked out (perhaps requiring an in-person pickup instead of home delivery).

[1] Which would probably mean, in practice, most of the PEDs having to go through a "swabbing ceremony" at that point...but as noted in a Bloomberg article, there are folks who will go through a lot of hassles to avoid risking their stuff being hacked.
Airlines already have shown how it can be done. Just look at those carriers hated on by the US Admin already.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Most of the "and the kitchen sink" cabin baggage passengers whom I see at LHR don't seem to be pulling out laptops and tablets out of their bags at LHR, and so I wouldn't expect the ban to do much good in that regard.
Some of the kitchen sink people are trying to save the time waiting for their checked bag to come out on the belt. Thus they carry on. If they have to wait anyway for their laptop, there is no longer that advantage to carrying on, so they may check their kitchen sink with the laptop in it.

Originally Posted by aidy
As im getting married in 2 months, my Canadian wife will then move back to the UK, and how do we move all of her PED's, if restricted to a certain amount in total (the option 8)
If the ban is on all flights between US/CA and EU, go via TLV. Or via Moscow. Maybe possible via BDA as well, as I suspect BDA will not be considered TATL by the Americans or by BA. Or via HAV/VRA, as I am pretty sure the Cubans won't join a US-sponsored ban.

If the ban is on all international flights, take a cruise. Perhaps make that cruise your honeymoon! If the ban includes domestic flights and you're starting in the middle of Canada (Manitoba, heh?) start your journey to your cruise ship with a romantic scenic rail trip.

Or just do it in true style and charter a private jet. Your new wife deserves it.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Some of the kitchen sink people are trying to save the time waiting for their checked bag to come out on the belt. Thus they carry on. If they have to wait anyway for their laptop, there is no longer that advantage to carrying on, so they may check their kitchen sink with the laptop in it.
Checked luggage fees, checked luggage fees. That's a main driver of those non-laptop passengers being "and the kitchen sink" carry-on types.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I disagree. Business travelers and other frequent are certainly, in many cases, carrying on to avoid waiting for bags at the belt, but I think most of the and the kitchen sink travelers are either avoiding bag fees or, on international flights, maximizing the stuff they carry (which is really a subset of avoiding bag fees, just fees for second/third bags rather than first).

So I do agree that the laptop ban could reduce pressure on overhead bins, but because business travelers have less incentive to carry their rollaboard on because they have to check the laptop anyway. Of course, that depends upon how airlines and security implement the ban. If laptops can be gate checked, it may help less with stuffed overhead bins.

Checked luggage fees, checked luggage fees. That's a main driver of those non-laptop passengers being "and the kitchen sink" carry-on types.
+1
Old May 16, 2017, 6:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
I disagree. Business travelers and other frequent are certainly, in many cases, carrying on to avoid waiting for bags at the belt, but I think most of the and the kitchen sink travelers are either avoiding bag fees or, on international flights, maximizing the stuff they carry (which is really a subset of avoiding bag fees, just fees for second/third bags rather than first).

So I do agree that the laptop ban could reduce pressure on overhead bins, but because business travelers have less incentive to carry their rollaboard on because they have to check the laptop anyway. Of course, that depends upon how airlines and security implement the ban. If laptops can be gate checked, it may help less with stuffed overhead bins.

+1
When I travel without my laptop, I'm usually at the most extreme uses of cabin baggage space -- either I'm using way less of it than usual for me or I'm using way more of it than usual for me. A laptop ban wouldn't really do much of anything to get me to use less overhead bin space. It actually may cause me to use more overhead bin space as bulky items may weigh less than a dense laptop and its peripherals.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Any proposal to limit carry on items to a wallet will end up in court. If I can't take a blood glucose tester and medicines then I can't fly That is not an acceptable limitation.
Actually, that sort of ban would be discriminatory and against ADA, I should think.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...16-gw5rkr.html

Asked on Tuesday if the government was considering a similar restriction on large electronic devices brought from some international hubs, [Australian PM] Mr Turnbull said the government was "looking at it very closely", and taking advice on the matter.

"We're working very closely with our partners and, in due course, any announcements will be made formally through the Transport Minister," he said.
Hopefully Australia only "considers" it and doesn't implement.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Actually, that sort of ban would be discriminatory and against ADA, I should think.
I'm sure there will be exemptions for medical equipment. However, I have no doubt that people will be hassled for bringing medical devices. Of course there is always the chance that "screener's discretion" could be used to prevent someone from bringing medical devices through security.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
It's not just direct costs for Global Entry; it's also indirect costs. Even though I live east of the Mississippi River, the nearest place I can go for Global entry is 300+ miles away by car. Literally half the states in the country have no interview location for Global Entry.
Originally Posted by kchoya
I don't think that's true. Heck, I live in Idaho and I have my GE interview scheduled down the street.
States that don't have a GE location:

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Maine
  • Mississippi
  • Nebraska
  • New Hampshire
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming
Old May 16, 2017, 7:58 am

I wonder how those states rank on per-capita international travel...
Old May 16, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Gold
What's to stop the European terrorists from taking a flight to a South American country that doesn't require a visa, buying whatever it is they are allegedly using to build laptop bombs there, and then flying to the US withe laptop in the cabin?

There are plenty of nonstop flights from multiple South American cities to the US on the 3 US carriers. The plane might explode overland instead of the Atlantic but the end result would be the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.