Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 9:02 am

I saw this over in the BAEC thread on this proposed ban:

Originally Posted by Physci
Today's Sunday Times reports that laptops will be put into a "padded envelope" at the gate and then into the hold, and returned in the baggage area. They also warn that US sources say up to 1/3 of flights to the US will need to be cancelled temporarily whilst new gate security checks are introduced.
I tried to access the article but couldn't register to get past paywall as it didn't recognize any of my valid email accounts. Could be a major cluster when this hits. I am headed to Europe in late June/early July for a family vacation.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Wasn't there a Russian airliner which got blown up out of Cairo?

And there was some kind of auto-triggering mechanism after the plane reached a certain altitude?
Old May 14, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wco81

And there was some kind of auto-triggering mechanism after the plane reached a certain altitude?
I think you may be thinking of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrojet_Flight_9268

(not out of Cairo, but out of Sharm El Sheikh)
Old May 14, 2017, 9:35 am

The Sunday Times article claims:

"Security sources said the alert was over manually triggered bombs in hand baggage. If a laptop bomb were hidden in checked-in luggage it would have a remote trigger and this would be spotted by state-of-the-art scanners before being loaded onto the aircraft, the sources added."

I wonder why explosives can't be detected by "state-of-the-art scanners".
Old May 14, 2017, 9:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by richarddd

"Security sources said the alert was over manually triggered bombs in hand baggage. If a laptop bomb were hidden in checked-in luggage it would have a remote trigger and this would be spotted by state-of-the-art scanners before being loaded onto the aircraft, the sources added."

I wonder why explosives can't be detected by "state-of-the-art scanners".
Remote triggers are not all detected by the "state-of-the-art" scanners being used by TSA at US airports. Sounds like the US should ban laptops in passenger cabins on domestic flights if being consistent.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If I can use my cell phone to control the lights in my house these days, I'm sure any cheap burner cell phone can be used to control all other sorts of devices used for nefarious purposes.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wco81

There are different ways to trigger activity, whether automatic or not. Pressure triggers, timer/clock triggers, signals of various sorts, signal-drop/signal weakness triggers and so on.

In its pursuit of this ban, the USG is using a claim about AQAP and combining a large electronic device with a manual, physical-proximate triggering sort of akin to that which the failed shoe-bomber and failed underwear bomber used in passenger cabins.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:18 am

FWIW, @ASKTSA has this to say about the electronics ban:

The electronic restrictions only apply to flights originating from outside the U.S. from only 10 airports: http://bit.ly/2n3bmEM
Old May 14, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think you may be thinking of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrojet_Flight_9268

(not out of Cairo, but out of Sharm El Sheikh)
The wiki says that the Russians believe it was an improvised explosive device containing the equivalent of 1 kilo of TNT. So are there other explosive materials which can deliver that kind of explosive power with less mass?
Old May 14, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
FWIW, @ASKTSA has this to say about the electronics ban:
They have more or less been giving non-answers since the rumors of expansion started. Heck they gave non-answers before the ME ban too. It is of course accurate for the current time but it doesn't help any of us with our planning for near term/current trips.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
So questions to those who've done ME flights to the US (not UK as different rules) - what did you do to your notebook power supply. Did it get checked in or did you get to keep it on you in carry on luggage - only ask as some of those supply units are harder to find than the notebook itself if you lose one mid trip!
Old May 14, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
They have more or less been giving non-answers since the rumors of expansion started. Heck they gave non-answers before the ME ban too. It is of course accurate for the current time but it doesn't help any of us with our planning for near term/current trips.
That's why I qualified my comment.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:43 am
Suspended

If terrorists wanted to disrupt air travel, make people scared, they could blow up bombs at airports. Look at how crowded and jam-packed the security queues are. They could do a lot of damage before sending the IEDs through any scanner.

It'll be interesting to see if flights have to divert during a TATL flight because of lithium battery fires in the cargo hold.

Very costly for airlines, even with the anticipated losses as people such as business travelers cancel flights.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Remote triggers are not all detected by the "state-of-the-art" scanners being used by TSA at US airports. Sounds like the US should ban laptops in passenger cabins on domestic flights if being consistent.
Consistent? Ha! These yahoos don't know how to spell it or define it.
No, it will not be applied in any way that inconveniences Mabel and Clarence Murica.
Inconvenience. Now that's a word they know.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd

"Security sources said the alert was over manually triggered bombs in hand baggage. If a laptop bomb were hidden in checked-in luggage it would have a remote trigger
No it wouldn't. It would more likely use an altitude-sensing device. Which can be made entirely passive and designed to only go off after it has been at altitude for some time, to foil on-the-ground screening tests.

The correct way to look for bombs is to look for explosive material, not triggering technology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.