Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Old May 12, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
There were an estimated 40,000 traffic related fatalities in the U.S. last year. A similar action, on the order of banning PED's, would be to park all personal vehicles?
Or maybe require all PED (and other distractions) to be stored in the trunk of the vehicle?

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 12, 2017 at 8:36 pm
Old May 12, 2017, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by ntr91
They don't even need to make demands now. the TSA manages to be a step ahead of them in cultivating fear.
That's actually quite true.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I wonder if this is just a temporary thing, at least at this magnitude, until DHS, TSA, etc. can develop a better detection method for electronics disguised explosives.

Hopefully they realize the inconvenience this will cause and while they feel they need to act immediately, they can find a better solution to the problem long term.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
agreed. What I am hoping for is at least a workable solution. Granted no one likes it when "freedoms" are taken away. However, there is enough evidence indicating that the theat is real.
Disagree. I don't feel the threat is real, and the very fact that the people in charge of this bullhockey well allow a greater known threat to be accepted vs a threat that may or may not happen....

How many instances of battery "incidents" (i.e. Galaxy Note 7 Style) does it take to realize that sticking these things in the hold is a terrible idea?

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
I do think the evidence points to some sort of modified ban that allows business travel to still be workable while limiting the known risks that have been acknowledged by most. My suggestion of two devices is based on logistics and the prior handling of the last ban like this the liquid ban. They eventually found something that worked for 98% of travelers. I think that is the goal that we should be aiming for. Given that we it's 99.9% sure that the ban is coming.
I disagree with you because I can never support security theater. It ignores true risk.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Will we fight this band and say we won't tolerate this ban anymore? Or will passenger's just keep quiet and let it happen because they won't take on the government?
Old May 12, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf72
Will we fight this band and say we won't tolerate this ban anymore? Or will passenger's just keep quiet and let it happen because they won't take on the government?
One guess. Individual passengers just get arrested and there's always a coterie of the "you must always comply" contingent to slag them for trying to defend liberty. So skip that.
This requires moneyed interests to let the government they own know in no uncertain terms that a ban like this runs counter to their productivity and profit and that's not what they bought the government for.
Or it could take a DeGaulle-ian big FU from Europe, passing their own ban on any flight departing the EU with L-ion in the hold.
The combination will shut down this nonsense.
Bury your potential bomb in your suitcase - so much easier to check than having you take it out and place it in a separate bin; but here, you can carry the triggering device with you into the cabin because we wouldn't want to inconvenience you too much. I'd like to know the names of the brainiacs that came up with this idea.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I did not take the photo. I did receive it directly from the photographer on site in the airport (CVG). All media inquiries I have received I have referred to the photographer who has responded promptly to each.

It's a bit reckless how some bloggers (two I am aware of so far) have directly attributed the photo to me without at least first checking. All in the name of "breaking the news" apparently.
Thanks for clarifying. And +1 on the reckless "reporting"...

Originally Posted by FlightChic
@:-) This is a very valid point and I have corrected the text in my article to credit the image appropriately. Thank you!
Originally Posted by FlightChic
@:-):-:I can only speak for myself on this point, but I have made the point clear that the image shared on social media by other reporters was originally yours.
​​​​​​​But....SFO 1K just posted that it is NOT his/her original image...
Old May 12, 2017, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Election was last year, so no chance for American citizens to change the govt. until maybe next year.

People who are fortunate enough to be able to travel to Europe aren't going to take up pitch forks. So they will have to exercise their power at the ballot.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You'd think the x-rays at the checkpoint would show something fishy if the battery has been tampered with significantly. Yeah, I know, screeners aren't experts in laptop design, but surely a software update to the x-ray machines themselves could call out laptops which seem to have oddities regarding the battery or removable disc bay (really the only two places you could put a bomb, and a lot of laptops don't even have a disc bay any longer, either).

Flag them for extra scrutiny and swab them for ETD. Yeah, we hear they've been practicing removing traces and sealing the explosives up to block new traces, but come on; we're talking tech that can pick up a few molecules and alarm.

Doesn't even require all electronics be inspected. And if they want a closer look at my SLR lenses, have at it; it would be an impressive explosive that you could see through like a lens.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
so the DHS should just ignore this threat?

Pan Am 103 victims would surely disagree.
Pan Am 103 happened nearly 3 decades ago. That's your justification for this DHS move nearly 29 years later?

You do realize that a general electronics ban is not a necessary condition to have effective measures to interdict contraband explosives?

I've been on planes several thousand times with electronics in passenger cabin baggage, and yet I'm alive. Or do PanAm 103 victims still think? I thought they had all died and that the dead surely can't agree or disagree.

Note that electronics in the plane hold were at issue in PanAm 103 -- not passenger laptops in the cabin.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Wonder - if significant number of passengers refuse to check their devices and/or start making protests at airports - what then?
Old May 13, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
Why would this apply to Global Entry members? We've been vetted and would not bring unknown electronic devices back with us?
Originally Posted by wco81
Do EU airport people know or even care about GE people?

I guess they could set up separate lines for GE people, after you show them your GE card and they would let you carry on electronics as before?

But that would assume that DHS is tracking the GE people, satisfied with their vetting, willing to give this special treatment.
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Exactly, I am GE. Fully vetted. I want too know as well.

Why should we care about your cute little club? It's not applicable outside your border.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I am not one for tit-for-tat, but if the US does this I really hope the EU follows suit and says "you make good points, we will insist on the same coming from the US". Both countries/union will look stupid but unless it affects US->EU nothing will change.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: Priority Club Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, formerly BA Gold, formerly KLM silver
The BBC have picked up on this. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39905479.

"The EU invited the US to come to Brussels next week for talks at political and expert level... to jointly assess the potential risks and review future measures," the spokeswoman said.

However, she added that in a telephone call, EU Transport Commissioner Violeta Bulc had highlighted "the potential safety implications of putting a large number of electronic devices in the aircraft hold".
Old May 13, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
"However, she added that in a telephone call, EU Transport Commissioner Violeta Bulc had highlighted "the potential safety implications of putting a large number of electronic devices in the aircraft hold".
Sometimes you just cannot make the idiocy and lack of thought and forward thinking up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.