Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA "Pilot Program" re: Paper Products

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
After a rather poor experience with a TSO I printed out and bound a copy of the TSA "Screening Management Standard Operating Procedures" (it's from 2008 but the cover still gets the message across) and started carrying it with me when I traveled. It got selected for a paper test a few times. One TSO gave me a smile and seemed to acknowledge the situation and one other had me pulled and called airport police who after a very brief conversation with me told him they had better things to do with their time. Now I only carry it when traveling through specific airports/terminals.

I had a deadheading FA sitting next to me once and she saw it and asked me about it. I explained why I had it and then she asked if she could read it. We had quite a nice hour long conversation about different points addressed in it and her coworkers gave me a few free drinks.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
What professor? Google is not helping.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rlines-flight/

Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mauve
So what would happen if you have the wrong book? Are we talking punitive/enhanced pat-down, confiscation, or arrest like happened to the professor with an Econ book last year?
I carry papers and magazines a lot — including stacks of printed material with coated surfaces of various sorts — but I have not had any such material of mine result in any extra searches by TSA at US airports in 2017 or 2018. I less often carry books, but I do own a copy of The Anarchist Cookbook and various other such books and am not shy to travel with them domestically. I wouldn’t be surprised if some TSA employees may think it to be an actual cookbook for say fans of the cable TV cooking shows/channels, but I don’t really worry about those paranoid about the content of books. Maybe I should find some of those writings by Donatien Alphonse François, more widely known as the Marquis de Sade, for domestic US transport by common carrier flights — just to see what excites the TSA.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
After a rather poor experience with a TSO I printed out and bound a copy of the TSA "Screening Management Standard Operating Procedures" (it's from 2008 but the cover still gets the message across) and started carrying it with me when I traveled.
I printed out a copy and purposely left it in a bin at the Dulles checkpoint. I was a good citizen and stacked my bins when finished, so the one with the document was in the middle of the stack. I had a second copy with me that I left at an unoccupied gate on one of those folding tables the clerks like to use for gate gropes.

I'm tempted to bring along Mrs Flies' Hebrew Old Testament she needed while in seminary. It has a bunch of handwritten notes in English she made during class. She still uses it, which is why I've not actually done it yet. Yes, Hebrew isn't Arabic, but I'm willing to bet that a vast majority of TSA employees couldn't tell the difference.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I printed out a copy and purposely left it in a bin at the Dulles checkpoint. I was a good citizen and stacked my bins when finished, so the one with the document was in the middle of the stack. I had a second copy with me that I left at an unoccupied gate on one of those folding tables the clerks like to use for gate gropes.

I'm tempted to bring along Mrs Flies' Hebrew Old Testament she needed while in seminary. It has a bunch of handwritten notes in English she made during class. She still uses it, which is why I've not actually done it yet. Yes, Hebrew isn't Arabic, but I'm willing to bet that a vast majority of TSA employees couldn't tell the difference.
Not knowing either language, I doubt that I'd be able to tell the difference, either, so I'd give the TSA a pass on that particular distinction.

Going ballistic, ordering punitive searches, or treating a traveler any differently merely because they are carrying reading material in a particular language - that I can't forgive.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Book searches being "reimplemented"?

Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

I have a book on sensual massage I could take with me next time I travel.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about a copy of "IED's for Dummies"?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
IIRC, TSA only 'pulled back' on this practice in the blog.

Based on prior history, nothing stated on the blog is absolutely binding at the airport. Supposedly the initial emphasis on books and paper was by a civilian contractor that was, like FSDs, allowed to impose more stringent security screening methods. That contractor operates under the direct oversight of TSA - but not the Blog.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
IIRC, TSA only 'pulled back' on this practice in the blog.

Based on prior history, nothing stated on the blog is absolutely binding at the airport. Supposedly the initial emphasis on books and paper was by a civilian contractor that was, like FSDs, allowed to impose more stringent security screening methods. That contractor operates under the direct oversight of TSA - but not the Blog.
PreCheck isn't meeting enrollment goals so another layer of insanity is being added to the screening process in order to get more to sign up.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Hot off the press from @AskTSA

So I guess they are not looking at reading materials because they can look like explosives on the x-ray but rather to find prohibited items between the pages. I wonder how many they have found.

Our officers may screen books, magazines and other paper products to determine whether a prohibited item is contained between the pages. Our officers are trained to look for prohibited items and aren't reading information in paper products or books they screen.

It boggles the mind.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:56 pm

If they were reading, we would complain they are doing it too slowly. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.