FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA Stops Passengers from Using TBIT Connector at LAX, but they "Fought" Back (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1839025-tsa-stops-passengers-using-tbit-connector-lax-but-they-fought-back.html)

petaluma1 Apr 26, 2017 5:51 am

TSA Stops Passengers from Using TBIT Connector at LAX, but they "Fought" Back

Some sort of incident at lax with @TSA people yelling at people to stop trying to use the TBIT connector. People in suits looking concerned🤔...

Update: @TSA has reopened the connector after angry passengers trying to get to Tahiti #resisted and won

Boggie Dog Apr 26, 2017 8:03 am

Not familiar with LAX layout. Anyone know why using that connector would be an issue for TSA?

JoeBas Apr 26, 2017 8:31 am

Sounds like TSA was doing one of their freeze drills for the suits, and the passengers said "Sorry, we're going to #Tahiti to get away from freezing, so... no.".

TheBOSman Apr 26, 2017 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 28231692)
Not familiar with LAX layout. Anyone know why using that connector would be an issue for TSA?

I'm very familiar with the LAX layout and I have no idea.

Allan38103 Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am

Gee Wally, do you think we're gonna get yelled at by a grownup?

I don't know, Beav. Sometimes grownups (TSA) do goofy stuff.

Boggie Dog Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103 (Post 28232162)
Gee Wally, do you think we're gonna get yelled at by a grownup?

I don't know, Beav. Sometimes grownups (TSA) do goofy stuff.

TSA certainly is not a grownup, at best an out of control teenager.

chollie Apr 26, 2017 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 28232409)
TSA certainly is not a grownup, at best an out of control teenager.

That would explain the hormonal obsession with fondling genitals and backroom strip searches and the thrill of the NoS and fussing about breasts and missing breasts and post-mastectomy expanders and quantities of breast milk and adult diapers and pax sex toys.

TheBOSman Apr 26, 2017 10:50 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 28232463)
That would explain the hormonal obsession with fondling genitals and backroom strip searches and the thrill of the NoS and fussing about breasts and missing breasts and post-mastectomy expanders and quantities of breast milk and adult diapers and pax sex toys.

:D

TWA884 Apr 26, 2017 11:01 am

Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

FlyerTalk Rule 5

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
We have plenty of recent thread discussing travelling with breast milk, enhanced pat downs and full body scanners.

The topic of this thread is the incident at LAX where the TSA attempted to stop travelers from using the T4-TBIT connector.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

chollie Apr 26, 2017 11:07 am

It's hard to visualize what actually took place, but although part of me cheers at the idea of mistreated pax who, as a group, decide to push back against TSA treatment, another part of me worries about it.

TSA should never allow a situation to escalate to the point where multiple unrelated pax are 'pushing back', even if the 'pushback' is only verbal. Long before the situation escalated to that point, an LTSO or STSO or suit should have stepped up and taken clear, visible charge of the situation - ideally without doubling down on stupidity and 'authoritay'.

Boggie Dog Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 28232547)
It's hard to visualize what actually took place, but although part of me cheers at the idea of mistreated pax who, as a group, decide to push back against TSA treatment, another part of me worries about it.

TSA should never allow a situation to escalate to the point where multiple unrelated pax are 'pushing back', even if the 'pushback' is only verbal. Long before the situation escalated to that point, an LTSO or STSO or suit should have stepped up and taken clear, visible charge of the situation - ideally without doubling down on stupidity and 'authoritay'.

Would be nice knowing why access to the Connector was being restricted. TSA knows but I doubt there will be any information from that quarter. We do know from other TSA situations (Amato) that TSA Suits will just observe instead of actually becoming involved. Was that the case this time?

chollie Apr 26, 2017 11:37 am

When a situation gets out of hand to the point that multiple pax are 'pushing back', then TSA has failed. 100% failed.

TSA has either failed to communicate properly to the pax what is going on and why it is right, or TSA is in fact doing something wrong and superiors should immediately step in and straighten the offenders out.

rolling_stone Apr 26, 2017 11:59 am

Let's see...no one that has posted was actually there, no one knows the person who made the tweet and had them explain what happened, no one here has the slightest idea what it is all about, but everyone here has an opinion. Good to know this is a reliable place to come for information.

sunshinekid Apr 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by rolling_stone (Post 28232744)
Let's see...no one that has posted was actually there, no one knows the person who made the tweet and had them explain what happened, no one here has the slightest idea what it is all about, but everyone here has an opinion. Good to know this is a reliable place to come for information.

Yep everyone has an opinion.
The only information we have involves TSA - Gov entity - and TBIT connector - airport authority property that was part of a 15.1 million dollar project at LAX. There is no mention of airport authority representative nor of certified Law enforcement; absent the presence of either of those entities we can assume that this was strictly a TSA issue.

SanDiego1K Apr 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by rolling_stone (Post 28232744)

Many of us know thepointsguy, Brian Kelly. He showed video on Snapchat, first of being unable to take the connector and then it reopening. He's now on a flight to HKG. But on the whole, I take your point. He didn't expand on snapchat as to the whys of what happened.