Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What's With Holding the Passport Photo Up for Comparison [with GE after using kiosk]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's With Holding the Passport Photo Up for Comparison [with GE after using kiosk]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Came in a few days ago to SFO with my son using Global Entry. After clearing the kiosks, we still had to see an officer, who held each of our passports up in the air to compare the photo to our faces.

Putting aside the fact that I shouldn't have to deal with some guy if I have Global Entry (we were also asked by customs if we had any food), this seems kind of ridiculous. I would think that the biometric fingerprint check would be far more accurate than this guys eyeballing the photos.

Power trip on his part? Or is there some other reason to do this?

(Of course, whenever I come back from Europe I always notice how all EU citizens get to use automated gates without prior registration and without having to then speak with an immigration or customs officer.)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Fingerprints aren't fool proof and pretty easy to fake if you have just a bit of time. Also one could theoretically clear at the GE machine and hand off your passport and slip to someone else. Most e-gates do the same problem essentially using a computer. You scan passport and fingerprint/biometric, the gate opens, you step forward, the gate closes behind you, a camera verifies your photo and the final gate/door opens allowing you past. Ensure that the person who has processed the passport is the same one actually going through.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

The guy saw us walking from the machine, he was a few feet away.

I have never seen e-gates that use fingerprints - all of the ones I have seen use facial recognition.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Fingerprints aren't fool proof and pretty easy to fake if you have just a bit of time. Also one could theoretically clear at the GE machine and hand off your passport and slip to someone else. Most e-gates do the same problem essentially using a computer. You scan passport and fingerprint/biometric, the gate opens, you step forward, the gate closes behind you, a camera verifies your photo and the final gate/door opens allowing you past. Ensure that the person who has processed the passport is the same one actually going through.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
The guy saw us walking from the machine, he was a few feet away.

I have never seen e-gates that use fingerprints - all of the ones I have seen use facial recognition.
Hong Kong uses fingerprints for their e-channel (I've used this several times personally): http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
After clearing the kiosks, we still had to see an officer, who held each of our passports up in the air to compare the photo to our faces.
This happened to me at CLT in June 2015 and MIA in September 2016. In Miami, I was also questioned about my trip (Portugal and Paris).

In any event, since your post is more commentary than practical Trusted Travelers information or advice, I moved the thread to the debate forum.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
GE is still subject to random checks. This was random. It happens once in a while.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Didn't appear random. There was a sign where you exit from the GE machines directing you to the officer sitting at the desk.

Originally Posted by Often1
GE is still subject to random checks. This was random. It happens once in a while.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA
I enter the US predominantly at IAH. I would say the CBP agent procedure at the exit of the GE kiosks there is to always do the 3 second passport photo comparison, along with a couple of questions and a quick look-see of the slip. This is not just my experience, but I what I witness of others.

My emotions alternate between "here's the power-tripping police-state thug, making sure I know who's in charge" and "meh, whatever, just some government bureaucrat making a job for himself."
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
My general check is that the officers in Canada care more than those state side. At JFK I was basically waved through for a receipt, at EWR I got caught off guard (hadn't used a GE kiosk in a while) and it took a photo of the top of my head. With the GE Receipt the CBP officer didn't even care or compare it at all.

In Canada they generally like to see all three but as long as the name matches I've never seen them squint at the photo. They generally wave GE members with no checked baggage straight through at YYZ and quickly stop GE members who check baggage to make sure that they have images of the checked baggage from check-in (send you back if they don't) and maybe ask one question about the purpose of visit or number of bags checked.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Not sure why they just can't put in e-gates like other first world countries have. Probably has something to do with the CBP Unions to ensure people have jobs.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:57 pm

Didn't appear random. There was a sign where you exit from the GE machines directing you to the officer sitting at the desk.
same experience here in SFO last week. they directed all GE members from the machines to a staffed desk where a CBP officer eyeballed the passport and asked the usual questions (why are you here, where do you stay, when do you leave...). At least there was no long waiting time since they waived in people from the GE line before processing anybody else.

Never had this in any other airport arriving in the US with GE.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
The presence of an officer wasn't random, but the questions he asked might have been. They need to have someone guarding the exit from the kiosks to make sure only GE members pass. My usual experience is they just glance at my receipt and wave me through.

Having Global Entry has never guaranteed you get to skip talking to someone. They intentionally include elements of unpredictability in all the trusted traveler programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.