Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

UK Border Force stopping departing passengers at Luton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

I was at Luton Airport last Sunday on a domestic flight.

After passing through the security checkpoint, there are a number of "Police Control" desks. These are usually unmanned at all UK airports. Unusually, there were two Border Force officers stopping random passengers.

Whilst questioning passengers, both officers appeared to be spending a long time looking through a mobile phone - not sure whether this was the passenger's phone or some other device. The stop appeared to go on for a while (i.e. longer than just to check a passport).

I observed all of this whilst at the water fountain after security, so didn't hear any of the conversation.

Has anyone seen this going on before in the UK? I know Border Force can randomly stop people (for up to 9 hours) under Schedule 7.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:05 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Has happened to me at Heathrow while going through as an outbound pax. UKBA has desks they can man just before security and they were doing outbound checks, questions, passports, etc. Rare, for me, overall but not uncommon either. I've had it thrice in 3 years with at least one flight a quarter out of LHR. I have seen it handful of other times while at the airport also.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Has happened to me at Heathrow while going through as an outbound pax. UKBA has desks they can man just before security and they were doing outbound checks, questions, passports, etc. Rare, for me, overall but not uncommon either. I've had it thrice in 3 years with at least one flight a quarter out of LHR. I have seen it handful of other times while at the airport also.
I've seen it at LHR T3 from time to time too.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I had it on the jet bridge from LHR to JFK last December.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
There is a difference between a quick passport check (or even a slow one) and looking through a passenger's device.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
They get jealous of their cousins at the TSA and try to ape them. Either that or the tapes got mixed up again and they watch 1984 during training.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester
They get jealous of their cousins at the TSA and try to ape them. Either that or the tapes got mixed up again and they watch 1984 during training.
TSA aren't cousins to Border Force, they are a distant relative, probably not of the same species.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by :D!
There is a difference between a quick passport check (or even a slow one) and looking through a passenger's device.
You're assuming it wasn't a UKBF device just like the one which was used to scan my passport upon my departure on the Eurostar at St. Pancras in December. Passport reader attached to a handheld device. If it's anything like the devices I'm familiar with it can be used to query databases and peruse passage and travel history.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by ls17031
You're assuming it wasn't a UKBF device just like the one which was used to scan my passport upon my departure on the Eurostar at St. Pancras in December. Passport reader attached to a handheld device. If it's anything like the devices I'm familiar with it can be used to query databases and peruse passage and travel history.
OK, I reread the OP and he did say that it wasn't necessarily the passenger's phone.

I think the Eurostar devices just scan and record the MRZ. Those are private Eurostar employees so have no business querying government databases, but you may be right, UKBF staff may possess mobile passport scanners that link to their computers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.