Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:00 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TWA884
Were they using dogs to screen the passengers?
No. Just a person at head of line to check passports, then the line went to WTMD. No notices or "barkers" about what to do. I had to put all my stuff back into my carryon bags because they had NO BINS at the checkpoint either. Could have been handled a bit better, but I'll take this result over the usual nonsense.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Question Why TSA insists you to remove Food from your bags and put it in a separate tray?

I don't know why but I have noticed that during the past 1 or 2 years, TSA agents are flagging trays if there are food items in bags which are not removed which would lead to an explosive check on the bag and probably a wait depending on the airport.

It doesn't make sense to me as this is only being done in the USA but nowhere else in the world. Is there a reason behind making people removing food or do they want the passengers to hassle more than usual so they could convince you to buy TSAPre?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't know why but I have noticed that during the past 1 or 2 years, TSA agents are flagging trays if there are food items in bags which are not removed which would lead to an explosive check on the bag and probably a wait depending on the airport.

It doesn't make sense to me as this is only being done in the USA but nowhere else in the world. Is there a reason behind making people removing food or do they want the passengers to hassle more than usual so they could convince you to buy TSAPre?
1. TSA always has to find new threats, so recently it's become your food. Bad enough that one can't take >4 of cottage cheese, pudding, whatever, but now they think turkey sandwiches can explode; and

2. "they want the passengers to hassle more than usual so they could convince you to buy TSAPre" As you know, Pre as originally conceived has failed, so now TSA is trying to get passengers enrolled to meet their new goal of 13 million by the end of next year. They won't reach that goal either.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA is a typical government agency that has to keep proving to budget makers that they are actually relevant and useful. That means doing different things and reinventing the wheel.

TSA's # 1 mission is to hassle travelers given that most things travelers are subjected to by TSA are meaningless.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At the screening machines for cabin baggage, the TSA struggles to identify some molded explosives and bombs/bomb components when the explosives are disguised as food items (or even simply placed amongst food items of some sorts). By having the food items out separately for sceeening and being able to more easily make sure that there are no wires/metal connections to that which may appear to be food, the chances of the TSA missing a bomb may drop. The corollary to this dynamic is as follows: as the TSA knew it has this problem, food in bags with electronic cables and a motley of other stuff already had the potential of slowing down the baggage screening process and distracting/conditioning the image-reviewing TSA screeners in one or more adverse way.

In other words, this food removal from cluttered cabin bags practice was designed to make up for the TSA’s struggles with being effective on the hunt for explosives and bombs. Could the TSA ETD way more cabins bags instead? Yes.

After all that the TSA does with food, I must say a competent shoe bomb maker and shoe bomb user could still have a relatively easy time of getting explosives smuggled airside for use as a bomb even with these food-out demands: PreCheck passenger with shoe soles or heel filled with some kind of explosives clears the WTMD, while the detonator/fuse is in the screen bag and left detached until on board the plane. Now let’s just wait and see when TSA asks for shoes to be removed from cabin bags and again returns to all shoes off.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 19, 2019 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

Hello @ISTFlyer,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
Hello @ISTFlyer,

TWA884
Thank you.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by petaluma1

2. "they want the passengers to hassle more than usual so they could convince you to buy TSAPre" As you know, Pre as originally conceived has failed, so now TSA is trying to get passengers enrolled to meet their new goal of 13 million by the end of next year. They won't reach that goal either.
I’ve got Pre and my backpack still gets sent to secondary a fair number of times for food, cat treats (no Trader Joe’s where I live and my little Siamese girl loves their brand as much as life itself so I stock up on the road) electronics, thick book making it hard to see scans, etc reasons.

But it as long as it’s only my bag they want to look at in secondary, Pre remains worth it for me

Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Just me, but I bring food all the time (I avoid airplane and airport food), and I never have it screened. Fruits, wraps, jerky, nuts...

And, they never ask me to remove my iPad (since the first few months of this "new" procedure), in the U.S.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Flew out of ATL yesterday and went through PreCheck in the South Terminal. Woman in front of me was traveling with three children probably ages 7-11. They had quite a bit of carry on with I suppose the typical assortment of electronics, etc. The one bag that got sent aside for inspection was what the mother said was the snack bag with apples, bananas, chips, etc. The TSA agent barely opened the bag and looked inside. I was collecting my carry on so didn’t catch all of what the agent said but what did hear sounded like she was a bit annoyed that the x-ray operator sent the backpack for inspection.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Flew out of ATL yesterday and went through PreCheck in the South Terminal. Woman in front of me was traveling with three children probably ages 7-11. They had quite a bit of carry on with I suppose the typical assortment of electronics, etc. The one bag that got sent aside for inspection was what the mother said was the snack bag with apples, bananas, chips, etc. The TSA agent barely opened the bag and looked inside. I was collecting my carry on so didn’t catch all of what the agent said but what did hear sounded like she was a bit annoyed that the x-ray operator sent the backpack for inspection.
Was there much of a delay?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by zitsky
Was there much of a delay?
We went through TSA PreCheck about 1:30 PM. The South Terminal was its typical busy but I’ve seen worse. TSA PreCheck moved pretty quickly and the agents seemed to be focused on getting people through as quickly a possible. No barked instructions and the passengers going through with us all seemed experienced so they knew what to do. The airport line keeper momentarily wanted to hassle me because I didn’t have my boarding pass in hand but she had just checked my wife’s and I said she had mine and walked past her. She objected a bit but I just motored on. As an aside this was my first trip using my new retired Army CAC card. It’s easier to get out and in of my wallet than my driver’s license and I don’t carry my passport or GE card on domestic trips. Talk about minimum information on ID. It has my picture, name, and an expiration date and that’s about it. They have even removed your grade from the card for supposed security reasons.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moderator's Action

A recent question whether coffee grinders are permitted in carry-on luggage was moved to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

TWA884
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:28 pm

Electronics larger than a cellphone (USA, TSA)

Sorry, I had a nice descriptive post, but it was eaten by the forums because I had a link to the TSA website and I haven't posted 5 times yet.

So, the short vague version: What are they after with this (besides "whatever the TSA agent feels like that day")?
"The new procedures, which were announced last July, require travelers to place all electronics larger than a cell phone in bins for X-ray screening in standard lanes."

To my mind almost every electronic item is larger than a cellphone... phone charging bricks, fans, batteries, cords, etc. Do they want all that junk in a bin, or am I overthinking this?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:53 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk @miniika!

TWA884

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.