Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:34 pm

Thread moved as not a trip report.

DanielW
Moderator, Trip Reports
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jessicak
I thought you all might be amused by something that happened to me the other day. I was flying out of SJC. When I went through TSA pre-check, they spent some time looking at the screen and then told me they needed to look through my briefcase. After the gentleman checked my bag and returned it to me, he told me it was flagged because I had a lot of snacks.

Not snacks, organics. Their x-ray can't tell the difference between many foods and explosives.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Not snacks, organics. Their x-ray can't tell the difference between many foods and explosives.
There is a joke teed up there, but in all honesty, I find it difficult to joke about the TSA.

Darn, might as well.

For me, some foods are explosive.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

For me, some foods are explosive.
Beefarino!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Sree Sreenivasan posted this comment on TSA's twitter account, together with TSA's response:

Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm a little late posting since this was last month:

Leaving LIH. Precheck was closed. Girlfriend went through a full bag dump of the coffee we are bringing, each one swabbed individually. Next they tested a sample of every specialty salt bottle and the dangerous chocolate bars. Only halfway through the process pre-check line opens. No problems going through PDX the day after.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm a little late posting since this was last month:

Leaving LIH. Precheck was closed. Girlfriend went through a full bag dump of the coffee we are bringing, each one swabbed individually. Next they tested a sample of every specialty salt bottle and the dangerous chocolate bars. Only halfway through the process pre-check line opens. No problems going through PDX the day after.
You say tested a sample. Did they swab or actually open your packages?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by zitsky
In our case each coffee bags were all swabbed on the outside. For the salts, they made my GF open each one. They made her put a pinch from each bottle on different little swabs (the ones normally put through the ETD). They then and put some sort of blue dye on the swabs.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

In our case each coffee bags were all swabbed on the outside. For the salts, they made my GF open each one. They made her put a pinch from each bottle on different little swabs (the ones normally put through the ETD). They then and put some sort of blue dye on the swabs.
What a ridiculous waste of time and energy.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 2, 2018 at 8:53 am Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
For the salts, they made my GF open each one. They made her put a pinch from each bottle on different little swabs (the ones normally put through the ETD). They then and put some sort of blue dye on the swabs.
That actually sounds like a field test for drugs.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J. Leslie
That actually sounds like a field test for drugs.
That's what it felt like when they tested my bottle of lite salt.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:51 pm

Similar process, different chemicals.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've long maintained that the public is much more likely to be harmed by TSA in some manner than ever being involved in an event of terrorism.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Ground beans in a bag that I purchased this morning from a local coffee store. I couldn't have done anything with them, carry on luggage only & we are returning home, no car. A simple test would have revealed they were just coffee but the person to do that test was "off site".
The TSA at the Louis Armstrong Airport flagged my $20 bag of coffee today as explosive. I got a full pat down, groped & they kept the coffee because they couldn't test it further to prove it was just coffee. The thieves in New Orleans aren't on Bourbon St, they're in the airport.
What are the chances this person had their ground coffee stolen for the personal use of the screener?

Last edited by petaluma1; Apr 10, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.