Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Old May 24, 2017, 12:55 pm

All electronics larger than phone out for screening at 12 US airports

Just saw the news story from Tom Costello on MSNBC, 12 US airports will pilot the program beginning immediately, including DTW, PHX, BOI and 9 others. All electronics to be screened separately at checkpoint like laptops are now that are larger than a phone. I'll add a link as soon as I find one. This is different from the European total ban effort so I felt a new thread was warranted. Here is a link, with thanks and credit to Petaluma1 for finding it before I could:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/get-rea...ity-1495640411

Last edited by Spence1097; May 24, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reason: adding link
Old May 24, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spence1097
Just saw the news story from Tom Costello on MSNBC, 12 US airports will pilot the program beginning immediately, including DTW, PHX, BOI and 9 others. Looking for a link now. All electronics to be screened separately at checkpoint like laptops are now that are larger than a phone. I'll add a link as soon as I find one. This is different from the European total ban effort so I felt a new thread was warranted. I'll add a link as soon as I have one.

Includes food also. How much more time is this going to take? I also continue to wonder if this is not designed, at least in part, to force people into PreCheck.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems that the pilot program may have some legs. Not only food but apparently some electronics will be included.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/get-rea...ity-1495640411 [h1]

[/h2]
So denials by TSA when asked specifically about this have been lies.

Dishonesty seems to be TSA's hallmark.
I'm not so certain that it's dishonesty but rather incompetency on the part of the TSA and its representatives.

Last edited by TWA884; May 24, 2017 at 1:55 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old May 24, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Includes food also. How much more time is this going to take? I also continue to wonder if this is not designed, at least in part, to force people into PreCheck.
So these new checks do *not* apply to Pre ?
Old May 24, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrgiii
So these new checks do *not* apply to Pre ?

Some have experienced it in PreCheck but I've not read a lot of complaints.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
PDX and BOS were both announcing (barking) to remove all electronics larger than a cellphone earlier this month. Nothing was said about food. BOS is on the list; PDX is not. So others may be jumping on the bandwagon with or without HQ blessing.

At BOS I pulled my garmin GPS (nuvi 2599), and handheld vhf/uhf amateur radio transceiver (Kenwood th-f6a) from my bag and put them in a tray, since I was traveling with my family and didn't want hassle. At PDX I left those items in my bag since they really aren't much larger than a phone. Didn't get hassle at either (lucked out at PDX and got WTMD, so didn't even have to opt out and get my genitals knuckled).

At BOS they also told the person in line in front of me that "everything had to be out of your shoes" when they went through x-ray. I had already put my phone in my shoe, left it there, and didn't get any hassle.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

TSA is claiming this new procedure will keep lines moving:

The TSA's goal is to cut down on manual bag checks and keep lines moving by screening these items separately. The change will not apply to PreCheck passengers, only to those in standard security lines.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-procedu...ry?id=47615190
Old May 24, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by studentff
PDX and BOS were both announcing (barking) to remove all electronics larger than a cellphone earlier this month. Nothing was said about food. BOS is on the list; PDX is not. So others may be jumping on the bandwagon with or without HQ blessing.
EUG also for tablets (but not food) last Saturday. No barking, ID checker nicely explained the change while handing over the yellow PreCheck Lite card.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
pretty soon its going to be everything out of the bag and in a separate tray. Maybe it is time to get rid of the current approaches and get better technology to screen bags and passengers. What ever happened to the analogic onguard and the like. These are way better than the current tech used.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by susiesan
Apparently this is a pilot program soon to come into effect:

You may have to completely unpack your carryon depending on what you have in it.
winner, winner, chicken dinner. Best post of the day. Explained everything I needed to know about the new TSA divest procedures.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Spence1097
Just saw the news story from Tom Costello on MSNBC, 12 US airports will pilot the program beginning immediately, including DTW, PHX, BOI and 9 others. All electronics to be screened separately at checkpoint like laptops are now that are larger than a phone. I'll add a link as soon as I find one. This is different from the European total ban effort so I felt a new thread was warranted. Here is a link, with thanks and credit to Petaluma1 for finding it before I could:
This mirrors what we have had to do going through security in European airports: all electronics larger than cellphone - tablets, DSLR camera, laptop, has to be taken out of luggage and placed in a bin for scanning.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
From the article:

So far, it appears that pre-check passengers are exempt from these new policies. The TSA says this is all in an effort to make flying safer.
Sounds more like another effort to "encourage" people to pay up to avoid hassle.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
From the article:

Quote:
So far, it appears that pre-check passengers are exempt from these new policies. The TSA says this is all in an effort to make flying safer.
You mean the TSA actually makes things safe? Thought they missed over 90% of guns etc
Old May 25, 2017, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think I'll pack the paperwork (information and warnings) that comes with my nitroglycerine pills.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I think I'll pack the paperwork (information and warnings) that comes with my nitroglycerine pills.
they will still take it
Old May 25, 2017, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's not clear yet, but I expect some TSOs will say 'food' includes medications and 'electronics' includes all medical devices - and anything with a battery, like a pocket flashlight.

If the full grope, with double genital rubs, that the 13-year-old boy got for forgetting to take his ipad out of his bag are the new norm, the lines are going to get pretty bad.

I know! Maybe we should give TSA millions of $$$ to hire more TSOs to do everything but work the checkpoints!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.