Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by petaluma1
What are the chances this person had their ground coffee stolen for the personal use of the screener?
And that's why I only travel with whole beans. Well, not really, it's because I'm a fresh coffee fanatic... but I do travel with whole bean coffee and a portable grinder
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
What are the chances this person had their ground coffee stolen for the personal use of the screener?
Too bad there wasn't a tracking chip in the coffee. It would be very interesting to see where the confiscated coffee is ending up.

I am confident, of course, that it was immediately tossed into the nearest TSA-authorized trash receptacle. Right next to nitro pills and breast milk.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wont be letting them take my coffee, they can call this mythical person in on their day off. TSA always has someone that can do the tests.

Originally Posted by canyonleo
And that's why I only travel with whole beans. Well, not really, it's because I'm a fresh coffee fanatic... but I do travel with whole bean coffee and a portable grinder
God forbid if ours were ground. I used to bring my aeropress when I traveled but it ended up being too much work
txpenny likes this.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 10, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Too bad there wasn't a tracking chip in the coffee. It would be very interesting to see where the confiscated coffee is ending up.

I am confident, of course, that it was immediately tossed into the nearest TSA-authorized trash receptacle. Right next to nitro pills and breast milk.
Those aren't trash receptacles, they are TSA Bomb Disposal Barrels.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

At TSA right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing yet again

"There is no policy that requires travelers to remove food from their carry-on bags, and there are no changes to what food items can be brought through an airport security checkpoint," stated the TSA representative. "TSA officers may request that food and other items be removed to facilitate the screening process by helping to declutter carry-on bags. This enables TSA officers to obtain clearer x-ray images of the bag."
TSA denies claim that they are randomly screening travelers' snacks | Fox News
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too many random, unsolicited reports of snack screening to not be something going on. But with no true oversight of TSA we will never know what the real story is.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:34 pm

Strictly speaking, this is true.

None of the many instances I have heard or read about seemed 'random'. I mean, I don't consider it 'random' when an entire checkpoint is forced to pull their snacks, nor do I consider it 'random' when particular foods are singled out for 'surrender' - ie, granola bars, quality coffee, etc.

Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:20 am

This happens to me all the time with snack bars through SPI airport. If it is indeed a pilot program, then it's probably best (if you have the time) to let them stop and search it and show that it was a negative test, so that they see that this is ridiculous. Not much else to do in the SPI airport anyway.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by alchemista
This happens to me all the time with snack bars through SPI airport. If it is indeed a pilot program, then it's probably best (if you have the time) to let them stop and search it and show that it was a negative test, so that they see that this is ridiculous. Not much else to do in the SPI airport anyway.
Sounds like they insist on taking it when a test is positive. They aren't accepting that it's a negative result by showing the package.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Strange - my most recent trip to Asia using LAX 2 weeks ago, I did not have to remove my snacks for screening!

Prior to this recent trip, a few months ago went to Barcelona using LAX and was asked to remove snacks for screening.

Last year at GTF, I had to also pull out snacks for screening.

Something has changed with TSA policy - maybe due to this forum ???
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
Sounds like they insist on taking it when a test is positive. They aren't accepting that it's a negative result by showing the package.
You mean like bags of Jordan almonds?

Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wont be letting them take my coffee, they can call this mythical person in on their day off. TSA always has someone that can do the tests.

God forbid if ours were ground. I used to bring my aeropress when I traveled but it ended up being too much work
I got tired of having my bag pulled for screening every time leaving TPA, so now I take the coffee out of my bag and run it through separately. Most of the agents recognize me (and my routine) so they're testing less and less. Originally, I was asked if coffee wasn't sold at my destination (funny agents), to which I replied "Not coffee that was roasted 2 days ago at Bern's Steakhouse".
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

TSA finally admits that removing snacks is in fact policy

For weeks, the agency has denied that this was part of a new policy. But flyers from San Francisco to Newark to Lihue relayed that they had been required to remove food from carry ons to be screened separately.

Well, the TSA has finally acknowledged that this is part of some enhanced security measures for carry-on luggage at airports. In a release issued last week, the agency said it dovetails with a new directive on electronics that began last summer.
https://thriftytraveler.com/tsa-snacks-remove-security/

Of course, this has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with forcing people into PreCheck. Then again, PreCheck has nothing to do with safety either.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:00 pm

The sad thing about TSA routinely denying things like this is that TSA is not only calling pax liars. HQ is effectively saying the screeners who try to inform pax of new changes being rolled out are liars.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://thriftytraveler.com/tsa-snacks-remove-security/

Of course, this has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with forcing people into PreCheck. Then again, PreCheck has nothing to do with safety either.
Well, to be perfectly fair TSA doesn't have much to do with safety either.

Originally Posted by chollie
The sad thing about TSA routinely denying things like this is that TSA is not only calling pax liars. HQ is effectively saying the screeners who try to inform pax of new changes being rolled out are liars.
TSA has routinely lied about routine matters from claiming Whole Body Imagers images were suitable for viewing by young children, that x-ray radiation is perfectly safe,that pat downs only touched the groin or "resistance", and that TSA screeners are security professionals to just name a few. Seriously, there is no end of TSA lies to pick from. SSAD!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.