Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
US/UK Electronics bans discussion

This thread is intended for discussion of how the recent US and UK electronics bans impact travel with discussion.

For more discussion of this topic, please follow the appropriate thread below:

For basic questions, what is/isn't allowed, use this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Practical forum

To discuss the merits of the rules, with the option of political discussion, follow this thread to the Omni-PR forum
(note: there are time/post restrictions for access to Omni)

Political discussion will not be tolerated in this thread.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
DHS is using the incident described below

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35521646

as the reason for the need for this ban.

Where are those American ETD salespeople? Their lobbyists must be very excited to have another opportunity to cash in.
The date on one picture in that article is 2/2/16.

TSA has been very slow to react if this was the incident that preceded this newest regulation. Just like the new sexual assault procedure is allegedly in as a result of the testing failures of 2015.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
A thieves picnic!

No insurer will insure them in checked luggage, no airline will take liability nor will the USA government.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
I cannot imagine the joy some "bad apples" who like to take stuff out of peoples luggages are having at this decision. i also have professional camera equipment and I am flying TK to LAX beginning next month. it is absolutely crazy to not be able to carry your camera equipment with you.

how are they expecting thousands of passengers to check in laptops and other electronics in their luggage without providing any guarantee or security for those items.

this is nuts.

i think US has successfully succeeded in banning not just muslim people, but anyone with a laptop from the 13 countries to voluntarily not board a plane.

very clever.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:21 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
The date on one picture in that article is 2/2/16.

TSA has been very slow to react if this was the incident that preceded this newest regulation. Just like the new sexual assault procedure is allegedly in as a result of the testing failures of 2015.
The DHS/TSA just comes up with new rules by pulling out prior incidents to try to justify them. It's not like bombs concealed in passenger electronics is anything new. And it's not like the world is chock full of non-state terrorists able to invent new explosives capable of causing serious damage to the flight worthiness of a plane.

I'm just waiting for someone to try to claim this ban is as a result of information collected during the messy US military raid in Yemen earlier this year, but there is nothing new out of there either in terms of developments of explosives.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Affected airlines, per LA Times:

The ban affects nine airlines: Royal Jordanian, Egyptair, Turkish Airlines, Royal Air Maroc, Saudia Airlines, Kuwait Airways, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Etihad Airways; the airlines operate about 50 daily flights to the U.S., according to the administration officials.

U.S. officials would not say how long the ban will continue, saying only that it will be reevaluated on a regular basis. They also would not comment on why checking an electronic device in the cargo compartment is safer than carrying it in the cabin.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:39 am
tcm

Originally Posted by tcmb99
i think US has successfully succeeded in banning not just muslim people, but anyone with a laptop from the 13 countries to voluntarily not board a plane.

very clever.
Flying to the U.S. was a unpleasant experience already. Every little enhancement in the name of security is adding to this experience. I think I will add the States to my personal no-fly list as my travel there is just for pleasure. Wish I just hadn't paid for my ESTA. Any chance of a refund
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
A thieves picnic!

No insurer will insure them in checked luggage, no airline will take liability nor will the USA government.
A thieves' feast indeed, as it was at LHR when this kind of thing was in play there for US-bound flights. But for Montreal Convention-covered travel, electronics in checked luggage are covered by the airline for loss/theft/damage even as the contract of carriage may claim otherwise. There was a US DOT publication on how the contract of carriage doesn't invalidate claims under the Montreal Convention for baggage irregularities.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Flying DOH to LAX next weekend on Qatar. Really looking forward to that trip now . . .

Do gooders rushed right to court to block the 90-day suspension of travel from those countries until vetting could be improved. What do you think the chances are of them rushing to court for this? [Next to zero]

Who cares about business travelers? [Nobody]

We're screwed.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended

The targeted: 8 countries, 9 airlines. How many of those countries' airports have service to the US? It's at least 10 airports in those countries with service to the US.

This should reduce the number of passenger electronics that CBP may subject to data collection and data search efforts at US ports of entry. Is that part of the goal?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
This is a huge pain as someone who has to take EK out of Dubai and RJ out of Amman because of USG-negotiated city pairs. These routes are Jet Blue and AA code shares accordingly, and USG employees on official travel have to take these routes. What's going to happen when a State Dept employee has to check a work-issued laptop that disappears from their luggage??
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:11 am

I think we will be among the first victims... flying DOH-LAX on 3/23 (local) / 3/22 (USA time). And we are connecting. Should be quite the mess.

If you were the bad guys this policy... bla bla bla.

Last edited by Global321; Mar 21, 2017 at 7:15 am Reason: Sensitive to the children
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
A thieves picnic!

Indeed, if I am a thief luggage handler at any US entry point, I just switched my shift to handle these incoming flights full of baggage booty.

The ME3 should cancel all Boeing orders in retaliation.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Global321
If you were the bad guys - and wanted to concentrate all the batteries in a small space - seems this policy gives you EXACTLY what you want.
The thing is - you can't ignite/detonate/explode batteries remotely - that's not how physics/chemistry works. Neither they present threat when they are not used - either by being charged or being used when providing current to electronics.

In other words, IF checked devices (we are talking only about laptops, tablets and similar devices) ARE NOT powered on or being charged, they do not increase threat to airplane while in cargo section.

Increased threat to get these devices stolen at departure/arrivals is completely different matter.

P.S. Before anyone starts arguing and mentioning recent ban regarding large capacity batteries and powerpacks: laptop computers and tablets have much smaller batteries than these under that ban.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:27 am

Seems like a game of "how ridiculous can we get"? Flying long hauls without a Kindle is basically asking passengers to fight with the flight attendants out of boredom - all it will do is create problems. And please donīt tell me I can take a book - I read an average of 4-5 books per international trip, and will not give up the simple and 100% safe technology of the Kindle in the name of fake security.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by invisible
The thing is - you can't ignite/detonate/explode batteries remotely - that's not how physics/chemistry works. Neither they present threat when they are not used - either by being charged or being used when providing current to electronics.

In other words, IF checked devices (we are talking only about laptops, tablets and similar devices) ARE NOT powered on or being charged, they do not increase threat to airplane while in cargo section.

Increased threat to get these devices stolen at departure/arrivals is completely different matter.

P.S. Before anyone starts arguing and mentioning recent ban regarding large capacity batteries and powerpacks: laptop computers and tablets have much smaller batteries than these under that ban.

Never said remote. (And I agree, cannot happen remotely.) You are missing the point. Think 787 battery packs. All you need is an igniter and multiple batteries in a small area. This ban accomplishes the second part.

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Seems like a game of "how ridiculous can we get"? Flying long hauls without a Kindle is basically asking passengers to fight with the flight attendants out of boredom - all it will do is create problems. And please donīt tell me I can take a book - I read an average of 4-5 books per international trip, and will not give up the simple and 100% safe technology of the Kindle in the name of fake security.
Agreed. How is a Kindle or an iPad an issue in any scenario?

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:26 pm Reason: reference to deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.