Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
US/UK Electronics bans discussion

This thread is intended for discussion of how the recent US and UK electronics bans impact travel with discussion.

For more discussion of this topic, please follow the appropriate thread below:

For basic questions, what is/isn't allowed, use this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Practical forum

To discuss the merits of the rules, with the option of political discussion, follow this thread to the Omni-PR forum
(note: there are time/post restrictions for access to Omni)

Political discussion will not be tolerated in this thread.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Carfield
How will this ban affect Emirates' fifth-freedom flights, like the DXB-MXP-JFK, and DXB-ATH-EWR?

I presume that these flights will not be affected because there is a stop in Europe! They are not nonstop flights.
I would expect that they'll be affected similarly to RJ AMM-YUL-DTW.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I would expect that they'll be affected similarly to RJ AMM-YUL-DTW.
I wouldn't be so quick to conclude that. EK 205 spends 1h 50m in Milan, for example.

You could arguably search the cabin and re-screen passengers in that time for the onward 'connecting' leg to JFK.

Otherwise you're just going to end up getting into a line of argument whereby you need a rule such as "aircraft cannot have been used on a segment to one of the prohibited cities within the past X days," which would have big impacts on BA, LH, KL, AF, etc...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:43 am

the ban will apply to nonstop flights to the U.S.
I can imagine quite a few carriers now looking for a screening location in Europe for westbound flights...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Banning hand-held electronics beside phones on these very long flights is going to make for some children being unhappy and running riot on the planes. Super-size smartphones could be very popular on these flights.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Global321
US carriers are exempt. (Source: CNN)

This seems like a very thinly veiled attempt to hit the middle east big 3, as each of their home bases is on the list.

Hard to believe this is a security issue.... fly a US carrier, no problem, devices welcome. Fly a foreign carrier on the same route, put it in the cargo hold. (Which, as others have stated, does not provide much if any, additional security.)

Also, wonder how this will work at the airport. Tomorrow, we will be connecting in DOH from Asia. (Asia-DOH-LAX) Where are we to surrender our laptops?

Before our flight in Asia? No way Asia airports will be setup for that. Also, some people will have laptops on the flight. (At DOH, there is typically no security screening for flights from Asia until the USA flight.)

Wait until the USA extra screening in DOH? THAT would be a mess!!! And how will that work, assuming you checked your bag in Asia, you check your laptop bag?
When I first read it I found it so ridiculous that it could not be true. But I guess you should not be surprised by US initiatives these days

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:19 pm Reason: going omni/pr
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanR
I could understand it if the ban was on Android devices as it's well known terrorists don't use Apple devices
DHS is using the incident described below

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35521646

as the reason for the need for this ban.

Where are those American ETD salespeople? Their lobbyists must be very excited to have another opportunity to cash in.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Preferred Plus
My husband flew LHR-Amman-Erbil (Royal Jordanian) on Sunday evening - a particular routing he takes frequently. For the first time ever all of his camera gear (all in hand luggage given value) was physically inspected at Heathrow and again before boarding his connecting flight in Amman. In Amman he was also asked to turn his laptop on and fully log in to his laptop, something he isn't usually required to do.

Might support the possibility of a genuine security concern which the US has escalated into a total ban - that was certainly his view when I told him today's news.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I guess the question is - what will happen if the carriers just choose to ignore this?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
There is already a thread for this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...tries-u-s.html

Can mods please merge it?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYTA
I guess the question is - what will happen if the carriers just choose to ignore this?
They can be denied US overflight and US landing rights. They can see code-sharing -- if applicable -- restricted/pulled.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by NYTA
Do you have any case in history of such 'ignoring'?

Ignore, plane met with couple of F16s, land it on a remote airstrip, all pax face down on tarmac.

Say impossible?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:59 am

So.. a response to a real threat? Or just the latest attempt to badger more or less the same set of countries as were in the original muslim ban?

To me this combined with the increased screening of mobile devices makes the USA more and more a destination to avoid whenever possible.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Do you have any case in history of such 'ignoring'?

Ignore, plane met with couple of F16s, land it on a remote airstrip, all pax face down on tarmac.

Say impossible?
THAT will not happen. The US would not know until the plane landed and everyone deplaned. At that point, it would be simple - the airline's landing rights would be pulled and/or fined.

But your overall point is valid. It would be crazy for an airline to simply ignore any order - no matter how crazy - from the US or any other gov't agency.

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I'm planning a trip to Marrakech.

Does this mean I *won't* be affected if I depart from Marrakech, on a connecting flight, through a European carrier, but I will be if I fly out of Casablanca on a direct flight to the US?
Correct. Non-stop - problem. Stop - no problem. (according to the latest info)
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
This suddenly makes connecting via a European hub quite attractive:

MAD and LHR for QR and RJ
FRA and MUC for EY (through the new partnership with LH) and TK (via BRU and VIE to add)
LHR, CDG and AMS for SV

Curious coincidence: none of the US carriers fly to those countries yet Nigeria, which is not the most stable nation but served by a direct Delta flight, is not on the list.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:35 am

The poor communication on this policy is quite a mess - we saw a similar example with Trumps first travel ban. That said, information here seemed to be "leaked" and wasn't intended to be released and implemented until today, 21 March. That that said, it's now the 21st and early indications are airlines haven't received these policy changes. So, yes - this is a real mess. Again.

I'm suspicious of the policy. It looks and smells like a muslim ban, again. But i'm also concerned with security of goods. When I depart Africa check-in agents are often careful to ensure I haven't checked any valuable items (laptops, tablets, jewelry, etc) into my checked luggage. Under this policy, would-be thieves will have a field day breaking into bags with a reasonable chance of finding high-value goods inside.

This will not have a good outcome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.