Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
US/UK Electronics bans discussion

This thread is intended for discussion of how the recent US and UK electronics bans impact travel with discussion.

For more discussion of this topic, please follow the appropriate thread below:

For basic questions, what is/isn't allowed, use this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Practical forum

To discuss the merits of the rules, with the option of political discussion, follow this thread to the Omni-PR forum
(note: there are time/post restrictions for access to Omni)

Political discussion will not be tolerated in this thread.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I wonder why the differentiation between a US carrier and a foreign carrier in this case.

It's not like the US carrier will have different security personnel manning those flights; if there is a concern about lax security, those same security personnel can just let things 'slip' onto the aircraft.

But I suspect this isn't truly about security, due to the glaring exceptions and larger safety issues it causes when it comes to in-flight fires.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by chucko
The CNN report cites an unnamed US official as saying it's related to some sort of threat from AQAP:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/20/news...ban/index.html
Figures.

Anyways, just trying to work out the logic of this.

If american airliners are exempt from such a ban, is the government stating:

-Security is tighter for american airliners departing from any of those countries/airports due to more stringent checks being done on hand carry electronic items and check in baggage VS airliners like Emirates/Etihad/Qatar Airlines who handle a massive number of passengers on transit at their respective hubs

-Or is this the escalation of the airline trade war?

Makes no logical sense to me if you think about it. Now, they want passengers to check in electronics with lithium batteries into check in baggage which, again, is compromising safety as well.

A lot of people are being scared off from visiting the US week by week with these sorts of bans and the treatment they get when they reach the borders.

Oh well.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I wonder why the differentiation between a US carrier and a foreign carrier in this case.
Dont we have US carriers flying into Cairo? How will that be handled.

Also one could fly BA from CAI to LHR and then LHR to JFK; which is the same as flying CAI to JFK on MS.

This is just throwing a bone to the US3 without touching the open skies agreement. Just waiting for the blowback. Will the ME3 cancel all the Boeing orders and return the existing ones (as once threatened by QR CEO)?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Dont we have US carriers flying into Cairo? How will that be handled.

Also one could fly BA from CAI to LHR and then LHR to JFK; which is the same as flying CAI to JFK on MS.

This is just throwing a bone to the US3 without touching the open skies agreement. Just waiting for the blowback. Will the ME3 cancel all the Boeing orders and return the existing ones (as once threatened by QR CEO)?
Good questions. Which is why this ban makes no logical sense.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf72
Good questions. Which is why this ban makes no logical sense.
It's a form of harassment, pure and simple.
No other explanation fits.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Note the timing too, coming just after the federal block on the revised travel ban.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Boy oh boy. People are literally about to board flights from some of those airports and on on some of those flights and are panicking now and don't know what to do. A host of other threads are popping up now and getting merged.

Been told business passengers are cancelling flights and re-booking on asian airliners instead.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 20, 2017 at 8:20 pm Reason: political commentary
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: most of them
I would imagine that it will have to apply to all airlines flying out of those airports since the issue would be with the screening procedures at the airport.

According to ABC it's related to the type of bomb that blew a hole in that plane in South Sudan last year(?) which they think was in a laptop. Not sure I understand how making people put laptops in baggage makes things safer. And as noted there have been so many issues with lithium ion batteries that we're not supposed to put them in checked bags. So how does making everyone put these electronics in checked baggage not make things actually less safe?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
So much connecting traffic thru ist, and dxb that will be impacted.... likely with no idea.. oh my
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Unofficial list of cities, taken from TPG's comments section.

ACC -Accra, Ghana
AMM - Amman, Jordan
CAI - Cairo, Egypt
CMN - Casablanca, Morocco
DOH - Doha, Qatar
DXB - Dubai, UAE
IST - Istanbul, Turkey
KWI - Kuwait City, Kuwait
LOS - Lagos, Nigeria
JED - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
RUH - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
AUH - Abu Dhabi, UAE
ADD - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Delta at least flies to ACC and LOS. If DL is exempt from this ban, then things will be interesting.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
And as noted there have been so many issues with lithium ion batteries that we're not supposed to put them in checked bags. So how does making everyone put these electronics in checked baggage not make things actually less safe?
I wouldn't necessarily assume this means you're allowed to check your laptop just because you can't carry it on.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:11 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Ryu2
Delta at least flies to ACC and LOS. If DL is exempt from this ban, then things will be interesting.
If that's the case, there is an awfully strong argument for tossing this on equal protection grounds.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
1) Bombs in the main cabin are bad. Bombs in the cargo hold are ok?

2) What's more likely to find a bomb. Passenger security checkpoint at the airport, with full shoe carnival and the war on water? Or in checked bags, which generally don't get inspected at all?

This is a really strange move. The European airlines should be happy since it might increase their yields a bit. It won't impact the US airlines much at all.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by quillbin
CNN is reporting that the ban is only temporary. (No other details on length)
It would be good if the TSA or department that issued this ban actually did a proper press release stating what the ban is for, where it applies, which airlines it applies, and how long this will be implemented for/from and till.

And does it affect passengers on transit, etc etc.

Everything is so damn vague, it is actually going to cause massive problems for a hell of a lot of people who have no idea about the ban and are potentially already on flights or whom are boarding flights and/or are on a flight and will be landing to jump on a transit flight.

I have friends who just landed in Dubai and have absolutely no idea about any ban on carry on electronics (lap tops) and have a 5 hour transit/wait before connecting on to NY...what are they supposed to do now? Leave their lap tops behind in Dubai?

Ship the lap tops back home to the US by courier if the courier companies will even accept the lap tops/batteries?

I can already imagine the fustration/anger and disappointment a lot of travellers will be going through when they are told at the gate they can't board.

Last edited by wolf72; Mar 20, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
This may eventually change how I travel. For high crime countries, I already don't carry my phone but carry a cheap smartphone.

For business trips with light computer use, I might need to start using internet cafes like in the late 1990's or hotel business center and also use the phone to short emails.

For business trips with moderate computer use, maybe buy a chromebook for travel use and check it in.

Currently, I don't fly to the Middle East so all this planning is just if it spreads to Asia and Europe.

I used to use a film SLR camera, use a phone now, but was planning to buy a digital SLR camera. I may rethink that or buy a cheaper SLR camera.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.