Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:25 pm

Flew back from Phoenix on Tuesday morning and got a variant on the new pat down after getting "randomly" selected at the WTMD in the pre-check lane of T4's A checkpoint. Of course the NoS hit on sweat around the collar of my shirt and for some reason at the bottom of my knee length shorts. Surprisingly I only had to wait about 30 seconds while the male and female screeners swapped places at the NoS/WTMD. He did use the palms of his hand to pat down both areas but didn't get any where near the twig and berries and honestly spent more time inspecting my hat then what the NoS "hit" on. Thankfully the whole ordeal was over in a little over a minute and I escaped with my dignity intact (this time).
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:51 pm

Yet we read that TSA has told a court of law that

“contact with Plaintiff’s genitals, if any at all, was incidental and occurred through the course of a typical security pat-down.”
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...36587177848718

The above description of a patdown certainly doesn't seem like "incidental" contact.

Last edited by petaluma1; Sep 2, 2017 at 2:56 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:18 pm

Who needs Penthouse Forum (RIP) when you can just read TSA reports?
This stuff is steamy!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:35 pm

In another tweet, the woman wrote:

They had a laminated card that they quickly flicked at me which showed a body & area they would touch--entire underwear area.
Is this new? Whatever, they are still too cowardly to use the word "genitals" - she also said they used the term "intimate area".
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
In another tweet, the woman wrote:

Is this new? Whatever, they are still too cowardly to use the word "genitals" - she also said they used the term "intimate area".
Saves anyone recording them saying what they're going to do.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another satisfied TSA Customer!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/...rticle/2009631

Well, since you asked, the agent runs his hand inside a passenger's waistband and also runs his hand up the back of each leg until he "meets resistance" and then does the same from the front of each leg. And then the TSA agent swipes the front of his hands 3 or 4 times right over the zipper area of one's Gap Outlet comfort-stretch khakis. That last part was the most unpleasant.​​​​​​
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The article linked to is generating many responses at @TSA.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The article linked to is generating many responses at @TSA.
Well, the United States Government acting through the hands of TSA and TSA Social Media Representatives block citizens from their twitter and other social media accounts that offer opinions that differ from TSA's.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:54 am

A thought I had re patdowns and police reports

TSA says:

contact with Plaintiffs genitals, if any at all, was incidental and occurred through the course of a typical security pat-down.
http://tinyurl.com/y9ttb62p

To my mind, that says that TSA does not grab, cup, pull or finger genitals.
Therefore, when this happens to passengers, as it does on an hourly basis, the screener is outside of the parameters of a TSA "patdown" because grabbing, cupping, pulling, fingering is NOT "incidental."

With that in mind and a copy of the legal document in hand in which TSA states they don't make contact with genitals, should not the police then accept a complaint of sexual assault against a screener?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA says:

http://tinyurl.com/y9ttb62p

To my mind, that says that TSA does not grab, cup, pull or finger genitals.
Therefore, when this happens to passengers, as it does on an hourly basis, the screener is outside of the parameters of a TSA "patdown" because grabbing, cupping, pulling, fingering is NOT "incidental."

With that in mind and a copy of the legal document in hand in which TSA states they don't make contact with genitals, should not the police then accept a complaint of sexual assault against a screener?
When one court refuses to hold TSA screeners accountable I think the chance of success, even if a complaint is taken, is low. Can you afford to pursue a case against TSA or a TSA employee? Without support from a consumer protection group few of us have the resources to mount a battle, one that government can drag out for years.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
When one court refuses to hold TSA screeners accountable I think the chance of success, even if a complaint is taken, is low. Can you afford to pursue a case against TSA or a TSA employee? Without support from a consumer protection group few of us have the resources to mount a battle, one that government can drag out for years.
Except this would not be the passenger "going after" a screener, it would be a prosecutor prosecuting a criminal charge of sex assault.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Except this would not be the passenger "going after" a screener, it would be a prosecutor prosecuting a criminal charge of sex assault.
Prosecutors in the US are typically elected or politically appointed to represent The People. The People have made it exceedingly clear that almost anything is acceptable if it is done under the guise of fighting terrorism. I wonder where there might be a People's representative who cares so little about their political career that they would be willing to be cast as soft on terrorism by going up against a TSA employee who claims to be "just following orders to fight terrorism."

Do you know of one?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by BSBD
Prosecutors in the US are typically elected or politically appointed to represent The People. The People have made it exceedingly clear that almost anything is acceptable if it is done under the guise of fighting terrorism. I wonder where there might be a People's representative who cares so little about their political career that they would be willing to be cast as soft on terrorism by going up against a TSA employee who claims to be "just following orders to fight terrorism."

Do you know of one?
However, TSA claims that touching of genitals is incidental, IMO meaning screeners are not to deliberately touch them, that they are not ordered to finger, grab, manipulate.

Or maybe there are many screeners who enjoy feeling up passengers & do so in contravention of procedure which would be sexual assault.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, TSA claims that touching of genitals is incidental, IMO meaning screeners are not to deliberately touch them, that they are not ordered to finger, grab, manipulate.

Or maybe there are many screeners who enjoy feeling up passengers & do so in contravention of procedure which would be sexual assault.
I have to question any claim by TSA on the basis of TSA just being dishonest in many dealings with the public.

Here is a countering report suggesting that genital contact may not be incidental. Of course this is just one account but with so many reports of genital grabs, jabs, and gropes who do we believe? A person who only wanted to fly somewhere or TSA which has been dishonest with the public for years?

<deleted>

I tried to avoid this case! I asked the TSA screener 3 times to just apologize (as well as his manager). Both laughed at me, said hitting me was intentional, and refused to admit their mistake and just apologize. Is this a new "game" with TSA screeners: To hit passengers and see how much they can abuse the flying public since they have the US Government protecting them from crimes? So I did what many of you have probably thought about doing: I citizen's arrested the TSA agent!
DeafBlonde likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 25, 2017 at 10:51 am Reason: Removed link to a GoFundMe solicitation
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I still think an inadvertent, reflex-only knee to the head when a TSA clerk bends down to fondle you is the best course of action.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.