Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by leungy18
Only a small percentage of Americans fly often enough for TSA's practices to become an issue...there's hardly any incentive for a legislator to follow up on this.

The lawsuit is the way to go.
If I were a first-time flyer and got sexually assaulted by TSA, I would hope that said flight would be my first and last. As discussed in another thread, TSA does seem to be getting even more aggressive with passengers. To what end escapes me, however.

<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 8, 2017 at 8:44 am Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:57 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by TWA884
Please save the political commentaries for OMNI/PR (access to OMNI/PR is restricted to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and have posted 180 messages).

Posts have been deleted.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Originally Posted by TWA884
Political discussions and commentary belong in OMNI/PR.

Posts have been deleted.

TWA884
This is the third time that we have had to request that politics be kept out of this thread.

Additional posts have been edited or deleted.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning. Any member who injects politics into this thread from this point on will have their posting privileges suspended for a minimum of seven days.

Thank you for understanding.

TWA884
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I don't think it's just that people weigh in on the subject when they never fly.

There are also people who post, here and elsewhere, that claims of unprofessional TSA behavior are exaggerated, fabricated or entirely the fault of the pax.

There are people, often folks who brag they've flown weekly for years, who claim to have never experienced or even witnessed unprofessional TSA behavior - because they behaved themselves, didn't show attitude, didn't show up with anything 'weird' - like breast milk, braces, medicines or other medical needs, prosthetics, wheel chairs, granola bars, Harry Potter wands, books, etc.

Because pax only show up with these things just to annoy TSOs, when they could perfectly well Fedex everything to their destination.

Often, they don't even believe posted videos, because they claim filming is done solely to provoke TSA and totally deserves retaliation.

A family member quit flying because of a bad experience at SAT. She committed the crime of traveling after a crippling stroke that, among other things, limited not only her vision, but her ability to turn her head. She was in a wheelchair, of course. TSA pulled her aside for a grope. It was their first time travelling post NoS. They wouldn't let her husband near her. She was terrified, crying, asking what she had done wrong, if she was being arrested, where was her husband? They deliberately kept him out of her line of sight and forbid him to even talk to her so he could reassure her that he was there and things would be OK.

Whenever I read a post by someone acting like TSA is always smooth sailing if you just smile and follow the rules and don't go looking for trouble, I think of my family member and I want to vomit.

Last edited by chollie; Aug 8, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Skatering
It was the buttock stroking that broke me watching that.

How a TSA officer who engages in that activity regularly and thinks that's normal is beyond me.
I would love to see a psychological study of TSA screeners and what drives them to work for the agency. I imagine it would be quite revealing.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by petaluma1
If I were a first-time flyer and got sexually assaulted by TSA, I would hope that said flight would be my first and last. As discussed in another thread, TSA does seem to be getting even more aggressive with passengers. To what end escapes me, however.

<deleted>
While small potatoes like us can't get anything done -- I'm surprised that the airlines aren't lobbying Congress to get them to improve TSA standards. If the US3 cared as much about their customers as they do about stamping out competition from the ME3, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by leungy18
If the US3 cared as much about their customers as they do about stamping out competition from the ME3, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
They care a lot about their customers. They care about keeping them.

Unfortunately, for far too many of their customers, these aggressive pat downs only reinforce the fear of the scawy bwown men who are actively trying to get on every single US3 flight every day. Obviously, their diabolical plots are only foiled by the invasive patdowns and other brave actions of the noble TSA officers.

If a side-effect of this fear of scawy bwown men is that fewer Americans want to fly through DXB, AUH or DOH, well, I'm sure that's just a cincidence.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: gate lice
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
They care a lot about their customers. They care about keeping them.

Unfortunately, for far too many of their customers, these aggressive pat downs only reinforce the fear of the scawy bwown men who are actively trying to get on every single US3 flight every day. Obviously, their diabolical plots are only foiled by the invasive patdowns and other brave actions of the noble TSA officers.

If a side-effect of this fear of scawy bwown men is that fewer Americans want to fly through DXB, AUH or DOH, well, I'm sure that's just a cincidence.
Fair enough. Remembering what Richard Anderson, then-Delta CEO, said about 9/11 and the Gulf airlines...

But on the other side of the argument, Americans who often travel internationally tend to be...well, more refined than Americans who don't. I've never encountered a stereotypical bigot in NRT or HKG or DXB. This is an interesting article.

I'm just gonna put it this way: statistically, an irrational, less-educated person who would avoid ME3 just because "bwown people are scary" probably doesn't have much disposable income to travel abroad very often.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
While I'm looking forward to my vacation to Arizona this summer I'm dreading the trip to Phoenix and back. Up until last month our little airport has been WTMD only and now it has a NoS. I'm hoping having Pre through GE will mean I'll still get "pre-lite" as before and get sent through the WTMD. I don't know what I'll do if they send me to the NoS. Opt-out and have someone potentially assault me* or go through the strip search box. The last time I was in Phoenix I got "randomly" selected for additional screening and since I felt like crap I swallowed my pride and went through the NoS. Knowing the TSA's reputation there if it happens again I'll probably have to swallow what's left of my pride and go through it again.

*I say potentially because IME the TSA screeners are the best I've ever seen. They're polite, friendly and get people through quickly; something their colleagues in other airports could learn how to do. The few times I've seen then do a pat down they were quick and didn't karate chop the "resistance".

Well I leave for this trip in a few hours and I still don't know what I'll do if I get sent to the scanner. I guess going through the scanner is like the lesser of two evils but that's like having to choose between getting kicked in the shin or in the junk. Here's hoping I get the "Pre-Lite" treatment tomorrow but since I'll be taking my quadcopter with me who knows that'll happen. I may end up walking funny down the jetway when they're done.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:47 am

I found this desciption of a police in-take pat down. Perfectly describes a TSA "pat down".

The officer must feel with sensitive fingers every portion of the prisoner’s body. A thorough search must be made of the prisoner’s arms and armpits, waistline and back, the groin and areas about the testicles, and entire surface of the legs down to the feet.
Notice that, unlike the TSA, whoever wrote this knew the difference between the groin and a man's genitals.

Although the article is about "stop and frisk", it speaks directly to a TSA "pat down":

People who have been stopped-and-frisked use words such as “violated”, “invaded” and “chumped” to describe how it made them feel.
Stop-and-frisk is also gendered, and sexual. Frisks are frisky. The police “cop” a feel. To “assume the position” is to make oneself submissive – one turns and offers his backside to another person. Often other cops participate, either as voyeurs or by doing another guy at the same time.
Stop-and-frisk gives the police the kind of authority over innocent people that they should not have in a democracy
The goals of the police and of the TSA are the same: assertion of dominance, power & control.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nt-paul-butler

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:15 am Reason: Fix BB code
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:28 pm

Man allegedly needs surgery after TSA "pat down"

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigat...440830803.html

It was during that patdown, he said, that the agent drove a hand into his groin so hard, twice, that he was immediately hit by waves of pain.
“I turned around and said, you injured me,” he said. “I’d like to talk to your supervisor!”
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must have been one of TSA's highly trained, professional screeners.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I hope they don't let him near young boys.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage - PLT Pro, United Premier PLT, HHonors - Diamond, National - Ex. Elite
Luckily I've not been TSA raped.... yet. Had a couple of pat downs that made me somewhat uneasy but luckily they left my junk alone. Have witnessed some pat downs of other people though that I thought was completely out of line.

But, i still cannot figure out why I travel with the same computer bag week in and week out. Most times it goes through the x-ray just fine. But occasionally it has to be pulled aside and completely rifled through. Really weird. I pack the same stuff, the same way every single trip.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Airrage
Luckily I've not been TSA raped.... yet. Had a couple of pat downs that made me somewhat uneasy but luckily they left my junk alone. Have witnessed some pat downs of other people though that I thought was completely out of line.

But, i still cannot figure out why I travel with the same computer bag week in and week out. Most times it goes through the x-ray just fine. But occasionally it has to be pulled aside and completely rifled through. Really weird. I pack the same stuff, the same way every single trip.
Quotas being met?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:39 pm

“Pat-downs result in the discovery of knives and other dangerous items carried on a passenger’s person on a daily basis,” spokesman Mike England said. “They are a valuable tool in keeping our skies safe.”
I call this as a blatant lie. If it's not, why aren't these "great finds" being reported at the blog?

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/pol...168840732.html

This is another victim of the TSA who is being used by the agency to promote their agenda.
STBCypriot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.