Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by studentff
https://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...0013/357297/70

I think this is it, and I have no subscriptions.

Congrats to the plaintiff and good luck. If I read this right and especially if he has any additional success, risk of screeners being sued individually might deter the sort of abuses that we hear about so often.
I wish such motions carried more weight--the TSA is basically saying it has no defense against the misconduct, thus it seems to me that the judge should be able to find for the plaintiff without more legal dancing. There's no way the system would be that sensible, though!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:14 pm

Amy Van Dyken-Rouen is being mistreated again:

Hey @flylaxairport UR @tsa is beyond RUDE!! Waited over 10 min for a female assist, then she was as SLOW as she could. Almost missed flight
This is her second report of mistreatment in a couple of weeks. I can't fathom why she continues to fly.

Further, many reports today of people being sexually assaulted because of medications/disabilities (female teen-age diabetic), film needing hand screening, paper IDs, and a whole range of other "crimes".
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I see on page seven a mention of two FT members, past or present.
The Judge really takes the TSA's arguments apart in this ruling, in many locations.

"Strains credulity", cites statutes that are "simply inapplicable" to the case, striking people in the groin is not "necessary, or even desirable, to protect national security", and, "At no point does [TSA] address these relatively straightforward allegations", "[TSA]'s oratorical calisthenics appear calculated to avoid simple questions with obvious answers".

Guess that's what you get with googlin' Francine in charge of the legal department.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
The Judge really takes the TSA's arguments apart in this ruling, in many locations.

"Strains credulity", cites statutes that are "simply inapplicable" to the case, striking people in the groin is not "necessary, or even desirable, to protect national security", and, "At no point does [TSA] address these relatively straightforward allegations", "[TSA]'s oratorical calisthenics appear calculated to avoid simple questions with obvious answers".

Guess that's what you get with googlin' Francine in charge of the legal department.
Think these yahoo government lawyers were from the Justice Department.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Recent posts discussing screening of transgender individuals were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I will say to me it's ridiculous how much they feel you to see if they can find something. My friend's gf has an insulin pump so she has to get patted down, they ran their hands on her butt cheek a good 4-5 times, not a crevice or something that can kind of hide something, literally her butt cheek. I am not suggesting the TSA worker was getting her rocks off but it seemed ridiculously excessive... if it's not clear after a passover or two that there is nothing there, I do not see how you have a job.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
I am not suggesting the TSA worker was getting her rocks off but it seemed ridiculously excessive... if it's not clear after a passover or two that there is nothing there, I do not see how you have a job.
That's why it's called sexual assault.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:04 pm

Bivens claim approved -- proceeding to trial !

Hi Jon and all Flyertalk folks,
Defendant's motion to dismiss was DENIED -- I'm heading to trial (or dueling summary judgement claims). I read in-depth from Jon Corbett's and many other's cases, as well as the appeals, and structured my arguments accordingly, so I stand on the shoulders of many heroes who have taught me methods to achieve what I've succeeded at (so far). My first amended complaint was very specific, well-founded, and thoroughly researched (by me) beforehand.

Believe me, I know this isn't a done deal, but we may be witnessing new precedent in the making! Kinda cool, eh? This doesn't open the door for wild lawsuits against the TSA! This is a very, very specific and egregious case (gratuitous force forcefully striking me, inappropriately, during a pat-down), but it's important that someone stand up for our Constitutional rights.

Thanks for everyone's interest, and I'll let you know what happens next.

Capt. JL

Originally Posted by Affection
Capt.,

Jon Corbett here. As a non-attorney I can't give you legal advice... I'm just a lowly 3rd Year law student who has sued the TSA 5 times including petitions to appeal all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court for 3 of them. So the below is merely my observations based on my experiences and should not be construed as legal advice.

I've read your complaint and I expect your complaint to be dismissed for a variety of reasons. I encourage you to seek counsel if you'd like to proceed, because you may have a case, but it is very much not an easy one to make, and, respectfully, you're not making it. Please don't get me wrong: I believe your story and I very much hope you prevail. It's just not, in my legally unqualified opinion, happening based on your current filings.

Good luck,

--Jon
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by iflyfast
Defendant's motion to dismiss was DENIED -- I'm heading to trial (or dueling summary judgement claims). I read in-depth from Jon Corbett's and many other's cases, as well as the appeals, and structured my arguments accordingly, so I stand on the shoulders of many heroes who have taught me methods to achieve what I've succeeded at (so far). My first amended complaint was very specific, well-founded, and thoroughly researched (by me) beforehand.

Believe me, I know this isn't a done deal, but we may be witnessing new precedent in the making! Kinda cool, eh? This doesn't open the door for wild lawsuits against the TSA! This is a very, very specific and egregious case (gratuitous force forcefully striking me, inappropriately, during a pat-down), but it's important that someone stand up for our Constitutional rights.

Capt. JL
Unfortunately, TSA does similar things to passengers every day. The Angela Rye video is one example.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Capt. JL
I read your filing when you first posted. As I recall your complaint is against the individual screener for exceeding screening guidelines by giving you a chop to the genitals. Yet TSA decided to get involved claiming screeners are immune from prosecution. I hope I have the basics right and I also hope you kick some proverbial hiney.

Good luck!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:40 pm

News media picking up the story ...

Thanks for the good luck! (Again, this is a very specific situation, and I'm not being cavalier in my assumptions, at all.)

Here's a link from a law blog in the Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...kpoint-search/
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the good luck! (Again, this is a very specific situation, and I'm not being cavalier in my assumptions, at all.)

Btw, that link is to the Volokh Conspiracy site at the washington post. A great site for legal issues of the day, featuring articles written by practicing lawyers/law professors for other lawyers.

Used to be free, alas, now locked behind a pay wall after you view a limited number of articles.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Btw, that link is to the Volokh Conspiracy site at the washington post. A great site for legal issues of the day, featuring articles written by practicing lawyers/law professors for other lawyers.

Used to be free, alas, now locked behind a pay wall after you view a limited number of articles.
But it's easy to get around the paywall if you are willing to invest a small amount of time.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:20 pm

From the link:

that contact with Plaintiffs genitals, if any at all, was incidental and occurred through the course of a typical security pat-down.
So TSA is essentially denying that they deliberately touch the genitals, in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
From the link:

So TSA is essentially denying that they deliberately touch the genitals, in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
That they don't deliberately touch genitals is clearly false, even though TSA plays the semantic game of calling them "resistance". If this goes to trial, the clerk would be in the position of pointing fingers at TSA procedures for exactly this.

Could be interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.