Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Capt.,

Jon Corbett here. As a non-attorney I can't give you legal advice... I'm just a lowly 3rd Year law student who has sued the TSA 5 times including petitions to appeal all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court for 3 of them. So the below is merely my observations based on my experiences and should not be construed as legal advice.

I've read your complaint and I expect your complaint to be dismissed for a variety of reasons. I encourage you to seek counsel if you'd like to proceed, because you may have a case, but it is very much not an easy one to make, and, respectfully, you're not making it. Please don't get me wrong: I believe your story and I very much hope you prevail. It's just not, in my legally unqualified opinion, happening based on your current filings.

Good luck,

--Jon
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:14 am

A query was just made to the blog for an explanation of why it seems people are being groped even without their oversized medical items alarming. I think I know what the response will be but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
A query was just made to the blog for an explanation of why it seems people are being groped even without their oversized medical items alarming. I think I know what the response will be but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
It's right there in black and white, although as we all know, the blog is out-of-date and not binding at the checkpoint.

If a liquid, gel, or aerosol declared as medically-necessary alarms, then it may require additional screening and may not be allowed
All oversize medical supplies 'alarm' because they are over-size. Therefore, 'additional screening' is ALWAYS required, and TSA's favorite 'additional screening' is probing your butt crack and stroking your genitals repeatedly.

Note: it's pretty clear that you may submit to a genital rub and still have your meds confiscated.

Because the screener still always has the 'final say'.

It's pretty obvious that most TSOs prefer to stroke the genitals and probe the buttocks of a 12-year-old girl or a 13-year-old boy rather than to use the test strips on the medical LGAs. I imagine they get a particular thrill doing it in public with the parents and the public watching.

Last edited by chollie; Jul 7, 2017 at 11:06 am
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:02 pm

The areas shaded in light blue on the graphic, also designated as 9, must be what the TSA considers to be the groin area:

http://stuckattheairport.com/2017/06...form=hootsuite
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
It's right there in black and white, although as we all know, the blog is out-of-date and not binding at the checkpoint.

All oversize medical supplies 'alarm' because they are over-size. Therefore, 'additional screening' is ALWAYS required, and TSA's favorite 'additional screening' is probing your butt crack and stroking your genitals repeatedly.

Note: it's pretty clear that you may submit to a genital rub and still have your meds confiscated.

Because the screener still always has the 'final say'.

It's pretty obvious that most TSOs prefer to stroke the genitals and probe the buttocks of a 12-year-old girl or a 13-year-old boy rather than to use the test strips on the medical LGAs. I imagine they get a particular thrill doing it in public with the parents and the public watching.
Note the wording carefully: It may require additional screening; not The passenger might require additional screening.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The areas shaded in light blue on the graphic, also designated as 9, must be what the TSA considers to be the groin area:

Note that they don't show a diagram of the victim facing forward; hence, no genital area.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't that the resistance? We all know that TSA is anatomically precise in their advisements.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Note that they don't show a diagram of the victim facing forward; hence, no genital area.

The left image represents a frontal view.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:47 pm

I wonder if so-called SSI information was released with the graphic. Also I found this statement from the article interesting:

What triggers those secondary pat-downs? False alarms.

A high rate of those false alarms are triggered by expensive and, evidently, not too reliable, potential-threat algorithms the Transportation Security Administration purchases from the manufacturers of airport scanners.
TSA would NEVER admit to false alarms.

Has anyone ever quantified the amount of time these false alarms consume?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if so-called SSI information was released with the graphic. Also I found this statement from the article interesting:

TSA would NEVER admit to false alarms.

Has anyone ever quantified the amount of time these false alarms consume?

I have spoken of multiple WBI false alarms on my neck and shoulder. Multiple screenings, multiple airports.

To continue using equipment that is known to give unreliable results is truly the mark of idiots.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:27 am

The graphic in the article Here explains this comment on @TSA:

But to cup my balls, they need to go inside the waistband. Silly goose.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The left image represents a frontal view.
I went to public schools...
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Isn't that the resistance? We all know that TSA is anatomically precise in their advisements.
"Resistance" was never about a physical part of the body.

Pistole said the gropes were meant to be 'uncomfortable' when performed properly. 'Resistance' was the moment when a screener had been so invasive or so rough (or both) that the pax flinched involuntarily. TSOs were supposed to watch or feel for the flinch.

If a pax didn't flinch, it meant the pax had some concealed nastiness that was shielding his/her genitals or breasts or butt crack from feeling contact - or that the TSO simply hadn't groped forcefully enough.

When the rude female TSO paraded for the cameras after she chopped the female reporter in the genitals with her thumb, the reporter's involuntary flinch meant that the TSO had performed the grope properly - ie, to the point of obvious discomfort.

Now there's no need to talk about resistance. Now a TSO puts his nose inches away from a thirteen-year-old boy's genitals and buttocks when the kid is wearing light cotton shorts and repeatedly rubs the boy's penis for two minutes, firmly enough to know if the kid is circumcised or not.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:42 am

It seems the word "resistance" has been dropped in favor of "groin area". TSA is still too cowardly to use the word "genitals".

Definition of groin from Wiki:
In human anatomy, the groin (the adjective is inguinal, as in inguinal canal) is the junctional area (also known as the inguinal region) between the abdomen and the thigh[1] on either side of the pubic bone.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groin
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
On Friday I was selected for random screening at DEN in the Pre line. The pat down was fairly perfunctory. He ran his hands down my thighs and send me on my way.

An onlooking pax then told me, unprompted, that she was watching in case I needed a witness. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.