Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Was there an answer?
On the Metro right now. I'll check in about an hour or so.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Just for kicks, I looked at the POTUS's Twitter site. Somebody posted asking him how he would react if the TSA did this to Barron.
His children and grandchildren are exempt from this groping of their private parts even if they are teenagers or older.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:19 pm

In spite of sexually assaulting passengers, a passenger was arrested at the gate in Atlanta after going through a TSA checkpoint:

EXCLUSIVE... @ATLairport passenger arrested at gate WITH A GUN despite clearing @tsa security. The fallout at 5 @wsbtv

Last edited by petaluma1; Mar 29, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:20 pm

*ROFL*... Fallout... *wiping away tears*...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JoeBas
*ROFL*... Fallout... *wiping away tears*...
They claim a screener got fired:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atla...rity/507192439
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:38 pm

Well, that's something I guess. Let's see if that sticks, after the inevitable union protest.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBas
Well, that's something I guess. Let's see if that sticks, after the inevitable union protest.
Of all the ways a passenger could handle this, turning yourself in is probably not the smartest. Just leave the airport and take care of it. Any trouble and expense she would have taken to ship her weapon home is small compared to the expenses and consequences she faces now.

She was lucky not to have been caught--got a gift that she promptly gave back. But I wonder if she got the crotch massage on her way through (in)security.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I really really hope the media emphasize that the gun TSA missed was in the pax's purse, not between her legs.

Some of the young ones in the family have been asked by their teachers to describe to their classmates what their parents do on 'take a kid to work' days.

I pity the poor kid who has to tell everyone his/her mom/dad rubs and strokes other kids' genitals for a living.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone has noticed, TSA has gone silent on the DFW story. TSA is using the same tactics as in past incidents. Deny, ignore, and keep doing the same thing.

Without some very high level pressure nothing will change.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If anyone has noticed, TSA has gone silent on the DFW story. TSA is using the same tactics as in past incidents. Deny, ignore, and keep doing the same thing.

Without some very high level pressure nothing will change.
My bet is that the TSA management is concerned that this topic is unpopular even amongst TSA screeners who don't want to be called out on stroking passengers' (kids') genitals. The TSA used to refer to genitals as "resistance" because they needed buy in from the workforce. Now that pretense/euphemism doesn't fly as they directly touch genitals.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did anyone create a White House.Gov petition demanding an end to TSA's gropes?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
The puffers were not designed for the type of environment that they were being used in. The cost of maintenance/calibration/testing for them were roughly triple the original estimates (consumables like filters, testing items, etc). This pushed the cost ratio way into the red on them, so they mothballed them. I personally would love to see the agency re-visit these in the future, with improvements, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The puffers work great, they just did not assimilate well to an active checkpoint atmosphere.
And how does the cost to buy and maintain the puffer portals compare to the cost to buy and maintain the whole body imaging scanners?

I personally would love to see the agency institute ANY policy that meets the administrative search doctrine as outlined in US vs Davis:

Originally Posted by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
As we have seen, however, the need for some limitations upon these rights is clear. In light of that need, a screening of passengers and of the articles that will be accessible to them in flight does not exceed constitutional limitations provided that the screening process is no more extensive nor intensive than necessary, in the light of current technology, to detect the presence of weapons or explosives, that it is confined in good faith to that purpose, and that potential passengers may avoid the search by electing not to fly.
Nearly every passenger screening methodology TSA has instituted in the last decade has violated this ruling (and is thus a clear Forth Amendment violation) by being far more invasive than is necessary, in light of current technology, to detect the presence of weapons or explosives. This recent grope escalation is one of the most egregious examples, even worse than the original form of whole body imaging scanners which displayed images of travelers' naked bodies to a pair of TSOs in a locked remote location without warrant, probable cause, or articulable suspicion.

Not that it matters, because all of these invasive and outright abusive search methodologies are being conducted by a work force who is so abysmally trained that they cannot maintain consistency of rules from one c/p to the next or one shift to the next, let alone from one airport to the next. The training is so poor that the agency has adopted a Tommy FlaNagin NewSpeak term for it, "consistent inconsistency", and has touted the fact that nobody ever does anything the same way twice as being an intentional part of their overall security plan. In plainer language, everything they do is followed by PeeWee Herman saying, "I meant to do that!", no matter how stupid or how far afield it may have been from the written rules. Oh, and they made the written rules secret, IMHO, specifically to prevent the general public from understanding just how seldom they actually follow the rules.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

It is time for the periodic reminder!
FlyerTalk Rule 12.2
Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

<snip>
Posts have been deleted.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
My bet is that the TSA management is concerned that this topic is unpopular even amongst TSA screeners who don't want to be called out on stroking passengers' (kids') genitals. The TSA used to refer to genitals as "resistance" because they needed buy in from the workforce. Now that pretense/euphemism doesn't fly as they directly touch genitals.
But they still won't use the word "genitals", insisting it's the "groin" they grope. And I would imagine that in training the word groin (or "sensitive area") is used rather than genitals because they just cannot admit that is where they are touching people

When TSA gave PDs a heads up on the new screening procedure they used the phrase: an abnormal screening practice. "Abnormal screening practice" is a euphemism for sexual assault, a term they are scared to death to use.

The backlash against this video is the worst that I have ever seen in reaction to any TSA misbehavior. I almost feel sorry for the screener involved because I believe that the supervisor who was telling him to do it again was the true culprit in this event.

The blog post has been "updated" to cover up for the fact that the initial post said nothing about the child having a disability. They have now acknowledged that disability as only TSA can - still trying to justify behavior.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by petaluma1

The backlash against this video is the worst that I have ever seen in reaction to any TSA misbehavior. I almost feel sorry for the screener involved because I believe that the supervisor who was telling him to do it again was the true culprit in this event.
Sorry, I can't absolve the screener just because he was acting on orders. He has the ability to control his own actions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.