Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
The quote was factually correct, based upon the point I was addressing. Point of fact, TSA pat-downs are not currently deemed to be "sexually assaulting passengers" - which makes the rest of your comment an opinion that I was not interested in addressing. The blog does not list all of the items found or discovered, nor does the Instagram, and while I agree that if we had found an IED it would most likely have been the story of the year for TSA - that does not mean that dangerous items are not found consistently during pat-downs, or with the use of the AIT machines.
Point of fact, TSA pat-downs are not currently deemed to be "sexually assaulting passengers"
Deemed by whom? Did they ask the people who are the ones having their genitals groped by TSA screeners? If no genital contact is suppose to happen I would tend to agree with the quoted statement but "point of fact" that's exact opposite of what is happening.

What travelers seem unable to find out is just how invasive TSA pat downs are suppose to be. That's just one indicator of the dishonesty that is found through out TSA.

So tell us, has TSA abandoned the genital contact is only incidental or have the rules changed? How can a person consent to anything that isn't fully disclosed?
ysolde and petaluma1 like this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Sep 3, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:31 pm

A self-proclaimed "child prodigy" is on a tear today.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie
...It's offensive and highly inaccurate to use the term 'patdown' to describe what TSA does in the US.
Agreed, which is why I don't use the term patdown here, I refer to the process as a full-body rubdown with repeated genital contact. Because that's what it is - they don't pat anything, they RUB your entire body.
iluv2fly and petaluma1 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First off, I hate that your sister had a bad experience. The TSO that asked for the information here may have forwarded that info to local management looking for video, or statements - most of the time, with the flight info and passenger name, we can track down when and where they came through.
Apparently TSA is doing a better job of tracking passengers and which checkpoint they used rather than addressing their complaints.

Maybe TSA's priorities are misdirected.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I look at it this way.

I submit a complaint to TSA: "Screener Smith-Jones at BWI cupped my breasts and squeezed them".

TSA: "We need your name, DOB, SSN, home address, employer, phone numbers, flight info, DL info, etc. or we can't look into your claim".

Me: "Um, no thanks".

Meanwhile, someone should have been compiling data and noticed that there have been four twitter complaints about checkpoint physical handling of breasts at BWI. Maybe it's worth having a look at what's going on at BWI, instead of worrying about discrediting or blacklisting the pax who made the complaint.

In my organization, we don''t duck complaints, we actively and aggressively seek feedback as an opportunity to improve.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Getting Personal

Folks,

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 12.2 when posting:
Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Post(s) have been deleted.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
gsoltso likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I look at it this way.

I submit a complaint to TSA: "Screener Smith-Jones at BWI cupped my breasts and squeezed them".

TSA: "We need your name, DOB, SSN, home address, employer, phone numbers, flight info, DL info, etc. or we can't look into your claim".

Me: "Um, no thanks".

Meanwhile, someone should have been compiling data and noticed that there have been four twitter complaints about checkpoint physical handling of breasts at BWI. Maybe it's worth having a look at what's going on at BWI, instead of worrying about discrediting or blacklisting the pax who made the complaint.

In my organization, we don''t duck complaints, we actively and aggressively seek feedback as an opportunity to improve.
TSA use to claim "all proper procedures were followed" and passengers were always wrong, misinformed, or just mistaken about what had happened and so forth. I realize that TSA no longer uses those words, nor even publicly acknowledge travelers complaints, but does anyone truly believe that TSA had an awakening change of policy and no longer believes "proper procedures were followed"?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
And what is this obsession TSA has with with long hair (or is it just my hair)? Either tell women and men with long hair they should wear a pony tail because, in case of patdown, the hair gets in the way of the TSO's ability to check under the collar, to grope boobs, etc. Or stop making such an issue of long hair. It's yet another little annoyance in a sea of annoyances at TSA.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA use to claim "all proper procedures were followed" and passengers were always wrong, misinformed, or just mistaken about what had happened and so forth. I realize that TSA no longer uses those words, nor even publicly acknowledge travelers complaints, but does anyone truly believe that TSA had an awakening change of policy and no longer believes "proper procedures were followed"?
You are correct. A search shows that @ASKTSA hasn't used the "procedures were followed" nonsense since sometime in 2017. Now it seems to be "we're sorry. Please send us all your personal information" and we'll ignore it.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A number of years ago, a TSO (might have been you, but maybe not) claimed that the reason for running fingers around necklines, even of lightweight low-cut silk blouses, was because a 'garrote' could be concealed in a collar or neckline. I personally suspect that no TSO has ever found a 'garrote' concealed in a neckline - or even any other contraband, genuine threat or otherwise.
And so what if you did have a garrote? Many of us carry something similar:

gsoltso likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ysolde, what kind of patdowns do you get in non-US airports?

I have occasionally gotten a patdown outside the US. Without exception, it was a genuine patdown. No pressure, no groping, no squeezing, no hard poking, just a feather-light touch.

It's offensive and highly inaccurate to use the term 'patdown' to describe what TSA does in the US.
Yup. I've never been patted down anywhere else but everything I've seen outside the country has felt to me to be purely about security (although sometimes a bit stupidly), never abusive.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And so what if you did have a garrote? Many of us carry something similar:
They even allow this garrote:

I managed to put a nice sized hole in a finger just last week with the needle end of a garrote. Not only could I choke someone, but I could also stick a nice sharp needle into a carotid.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: TSA
Deemed by whom? Did they ask the people who are the ones having their genitals groped by TSA screeners? If no genital contact is suppose to happen I would tend to agree with the quoted statement but "point of fact" that's exact opposite of what is happening.

What travelers seem unable to find out is just how invasive TSA pat downs are suppose to be. That's just one indicator of the dishonesty that is found through out TSA.

So tell us, has TSA abandoned the genital contact is only incidental or have the rules changed? How can a person consent to anything that isn't fully disclosed?
Currently by DHS. There have been no court decisions indicating that the pat-down process is sexual assault. Quite the opposite, most of the court decisions up to this point have indicated that the pat-down is a part of a regulatory scheme, and therefore legal (paraphrasing of course). I have seen no published information that changed the organizations position on the pat-down.

With all due respect, please don't go shifting the goal posts.

We are specifically talking about real threats to aviation security being found concealed in/around genitals, between butt cheeks or under breasts.

Not 'contraband' like jewelry or money or a joint concealed in someone's underwear for safety or a 2.1" pocket knife in a pocket next to a man's testicles or a good luck charm or a tiny bottle of nitroglycerine pills.

We're talking an actual threat to aviation safety. I get fingers between my butt cheeks nearly every time I am groped. When has TSA ever found a genuine threat to aviation safety concealed between someone's butt cheeks? When the pervy TSO went back and stroked the young boy's genitals a second time with his open palms, what possible item could have been concealed that he might have missed the first time?

A number of years ago, a TSO (might have been you, but maybe not) claimed that the reason for running fingers around necklines, even of lightweight low-cut silk blouses, was because a 'garrote' could be concealed in a collar or neckline. I personally suspect that no TSO has ever found a 'garrote' concealed in a neckline - or even any other contraband, genuine threat or otherwise.

I suspect the same thing is true about genitals and butt cracks and under breasts and women's sanitary pads and incontinence briefs.

I'd be happy with the same security experience the rest of the nations in the world use. Somehow they keep planes flying without unnecessary handling of people's private parts.
With all due respect returned, I haven't shifted the goal posts at all. Dangerous items is the category that has been used since the beginning of this conversation, and it encompasses a broad spectrum of items. Dangerous does not just mean "big enough to take a plane down for certain", dangerous means that it is/can be dangerous to others on the plane, as well as to the plane itself. Just one question for you that will directly illustrate the point - how big is a detonator?

I do not recall saying something like that, because it is kind of silly - anyone with shoelaces has a garrote ready to go, add 2 AA batteries (or better yet, two wooden pegs), and it becomes a more efficient garrote (thanks for beating me to that one Loren!). The neckline is checked, and if there were a garrote there, it would be a situation where we would talk to the individual, but mostly the necklines are checked for dangerous items (like WEI).

I am not certain what you are talking about with the TSO going back a second time with the "palms" of his hands. Please provide a link, and I will be better informed.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
A self-proclaimed "child prodigy" is on a tear today.
That is "supposed to be a child prodigy" to you.

Apparently TSA is doing a better job of tracking passengers and which checkpoint they used rather than addressing their complaints.

Maybe TSA's priorities are misdirected.
Not really, with a name, date and flight info, I can tell you the terminal and gate that you went out of, from there it is simply back tracking from the gate to the checkpoint looking for information along the way.

Originally Posted by ysolde
And what is this obsession TSA has with with long hair (or is it just my hair)? Either tell women and men with long hair they should wear a pony tail because, in case of patdown, the hair gets in the way of the TSO's ability to check under the collar, to grope boobs, etc. Or stop making such an issue of long hair. It's yet another little annoyance in a sea of annoyances at TSA.
Long hair provides a vessel for concealment, because of that, hair that alarms is patted down. I personally have found a tactical spike in hair, and there are other things that we find from time to time.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 4, 2018 at 8:20 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Currently by DHS. There have been no court decisions indicating that the pat-down process is sexual assault. Quite the opposite, most of the court decisions up to this point have indicated that the pat-down is a part of a regulatory scheme, and therefore legal (paraphrasing of course). I have seen no published information that changed the organizations position on the pat-down.
While the legality of an administrative search has been established, I do not recall hearing of a single court decision that specifically addressed the legality of the full-body rubdown with repeated front-of-hand genital contact that TSA currently uses, nor of the full-body rubdown with repeated 'incidental' back-of-hand genital contact that was used previously.

It is my personal opinion, however, that should these specific procedures ever actually be adjudicated that they will be found to be more intrusive or intensive than necessary, in light of current technology, to detect weapons or explosives, confined in good faith to that purpose.

The legal basis for TSA's searches carries inherent limits which, to any reasonable person, should restrict the methodology, duration, and circumstances of the search. Sure, the courts have rules that TSA may search my bags - but are they allowed to disassemble my bags or destroy my belongings? No, obviously not. Sure, the courts have ruled that TSA may search my person - but are they allowed to conduct searches of such an invasive nature that they cause physical injury, psychological trauma akin to a rape, or intrude into my body cavities? Reasonable people would say, no, obviously not, but TSA says, "Well, sure - search is legal, therefore we can search any where, any time, in any way, as many times as we want, with no limits at all! It's all legal!"
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the limited knowledge I have TSA claims a "TSA Full-Body Rubdown"© does not require genital contact. If that is the evidence the courts are considering then I can see how they might decide that the procedure is not a violation of the law. Problem is, anyone who is paying attention knows that the "TSA Full-Body Rubdown"©
seems to require a full on groping of the travelers genitals. There are just way, way to many reports of genital groping to not realize that TSA is either being dishonest (a typical TSA trait) or that TSA has a severe training issue.

Not really, with a name, date and flight info, I can tell you the terminal and gate that you went out of, from there it is simply back tracking from the gate to the checkpoint looking for information along the way.
Take a look at DFW terminal A. Multiple checkpoints and any of them can be used to access all gates, even gates at other terminals if a person hops on Skylink which runs on the secure side of the terminal to all other terminals. For TSA to be able to determine with certainty which checkpoint a person used would require a tracking system. Perhaps we have learned a new data point about TSA screening!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.