Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 10, 18, 8:09 am
  #661  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 15,379
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
For some reason, this video has come around again on @TSA and is garnering as much outrage as it first did 10 months ago. That's a good thing. I wonder if the screener is still employed by TSA and, more important, if the supervisor who egged him on, seeming to enjoy both the child's and the mother's discomfort, is still employed.
Do you really think their are consequences for TSA screener malfeasance? This thread wouldn't exist if there was.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Jan 10, 18, 10:39 am
  #662  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,325
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Do you really think their are consequences for TSA screener malfeasance? This thread wouldn't exist if there was.
The screener was an older guy and I would imagine he took a lot of grief over this video, hopefully enough to make him rethink working for the TSA. I have no expectation that he would have been fired over this. I would hope that the supervisor who was the one who egged him on would have at least been reprimanded. She seemed to take great pleasure in what she was doing.

Someplace in amongst the @TSA comments on the video, one person claimed that he/she had a similar situation and the screeners involved were reprimanded or fired. Is that true? Who knows.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jan 10, 18 at 10:46 am
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 18, 7:30 am
  #663  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,325
One lousy pocket knife

In all of 2017, the only "dangerous" item found by sexually assaulting passengers at DEN was a pocket knife.

petaluma1 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 18, 7:45 am
  #664  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,325
Screeners can now use front of hand in crotches & on breasts

One pocketknife found in one year during screener pat-downs at DIA | FOX31 Denver

According to those familiar with the new security tactics, same-sex screeners were given the greenlight to use the front of their hands-on passengers’ breasts and crotches.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 18, 8:52 am
  #665  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 31,798
I don't see any age restrictions, meaning adults are free to handle the genitals of children under the guise of 'security'.
petaluma1 likes this.
chollie is offline  
Old Feb 9, 18, 2:46 am
  #666  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YVR, YYC, SEA, AMS, ORK
Programs: AS, FB, SPG, MR
Posts: 325
This saga needs to become part of the current social debate about sexual harassment and abuse. That's the only way it can gain traction with the wider public, notions about the constitution or libertarian ideals are on lost on John Doe.

You'll need social media savy folks with great A-list connections and a simple but effective hashtag to publicize it. Phone calls or letters to your Congress reps do nothing. Use the power of social media to incite change, embarrass the government into submission.
Spiff, petaluma1 and iflyfast like this.
majik is offline  
Old Feb 9, 18, 5:31 am
  #667  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,325
Originally Posted by majik View Post
This saga needs to become part of the current social debate about sexual harassment and abuse. That's the only way it can gain traction with the wider public, notions about the constitution or libertarian ideals are on lost on John Doe.

You'll need social media savy folks with great A-list connections and a simple but effective hashtag to publicize it. Phone calls or letters to your Congress reps do nothing. Use the power of social media to incite change, embarrass the government into submission.
I've been thinking basically the same thing and came up with the hashtag #MeTooByTSA . It's difficult to get people to use it, however, because they believe that whatever TSA does is fine as long as they are being kept safe from terrorists and if they have to allow themselves to be sexually abused by TSA in order to meet that goal, so be it. Or they don't believe it's sexual assault if it's done by the TSA, even if under any other circumstances they would never consent to being touch in such a manner.
Spiff, Loren Pechtel and iflyfast like this.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 8:48 am
  #668  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
I followed up on your idea a few weeks ago, others had the same suggestions, so I've been trying to popularize the #MeTooByTSA hashtag. I also received the twitter handle @MeTooByTSA, <redacted by moderator>
I've sent out copies with the #MeTooByTSA and @MeTooByTSA hashtag and handle of the security video and citizen's ARREST I made of the TSA agent (always reminding, I do NOT suggest you try to arrest anyone unless you know what you're doing, or more than likely you'll end up in legal jeopardy yourself instead with liabilities, so do not follow my info as advice; I'm suggesting you do NOT arrest anyone (yet) but I'm writing up information on the topic to publish ... it's complicated. My federal civil rights case is moving along, never easy, but I continue to be very successful.

You can find my postings on twitter by searching on the hashtag or handle above. I even have new info you'll be excited to hear about, and if I do some stand-up "hits" (interviews) with media, I'm going to try to mention FlyerTalk (h/t moderator) since you've been good to me ;-)
So far I have a few hundred followers to @MeTooByTSA, in case anyone here wants to follow me incl Flytertalk that I'm already following on Twitter, including a few B-List followers including media producers and journalists there while I'm working to get the attention of some A-list folks -- that's likely to change very soon, from some media events I have coming up, plus new evidence I'll be showing of #TSACoverUp and #MeTooByTSA ! So ... "hold my beer" on the publicity front .. this will be MUCH more in the news (and I'll post here when it is) ... we're going to win the fight against excessive use of force and screener liability in pat-down searches as violating the 4th Amendment (and I know that may frustrate some folks, but that's the narrow and specific topic I'm contesting).

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 10, 18 at 9:05 am Reason: FT Rule 11
iflyfast is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 9:49 am
  #669  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,325
Originally Posted by iflyfast View Post
I followed up on your idea a few weeks ago, others had the same suggestions, so I've been trying to popularize the #MeTooByTSA hashtag. I also received the twitter handle @MeTooByTSA, <redacted by moderator>
I've sent out copies with the #MeTooByTSA and @MeTooByTSA hashtag and handle of the security video and citizen's ARREST I made of the TSA agent (always reminding, I do NOT suggest you try to arrest anyone unless you know what you're doing, or more than likely you'll end up in legal jeopardy yourself instead with liabilities, so do not follow my info as advice; I'm suggesting you do NOT arrest anyone (yet) but I'm writing up information on the topic to publish ... it's complicated. My federal civil rights case is moving along, never easy, but I continue to be very successful.

You can find my postings on twitter by searching on the hashtag or handle above. I even have new info you'll be excited to hear about, and if I do some stand-up "hits" (interviews) with media, I'm going to try to mention FlyerTalk (h/t moderator) since you've been good to me ;-)
So far I have a few hundred followers to @MeTooByTSA, in case anyone here wants to follow me incl Flytertalk that I'm already following on Twitter, including a few B-List followers including media producers and journalists there while I'm working to get the attention of some A-list folks -- that's likely to change very soon, from some media events I have coming up, plus new evidence I'll be showing of #TSACoverUp and #MeTooByTSA ! So ... "hold my beer" on the publicity front .. this will be MUCH more in the news (and I'll post here when it is) ... we're going to win the fight against excessive use of force and screener liability in pat-down searches as violating the 4th Amendment (and I know that may frustrate some folks, but that's the narrow and specific topic I'm contesting).
Thank you for all your are doing. I tried to like this comment but couldn't for some strange reason. You know that I'm one of those frustrated ones, but your case is a first step that will, perhaps, bring about significant changes. I am noticing a significant uptick in the number of tweets about how invasive, humiliating and degrading TSA pat downs can be, which can only be for the good.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:10 am
  #670  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 15,379
I think it is notable that TSA screeners can in fact get cash rewards for screening activities.

https://ia801507.us.archive.org/2/it...from%20TSA.pdf
Attached Images
petaluma1 likes this.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:30 am
  #671  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,325
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
I think it is notable that TSA screeners can in fact get cash rewards for screening activities.

https://ia801507.us.archive.org/2/it...from%20TSA.pdf
BTW, this guy is now a Secret Service agent.

petaluma1 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:19 am
  #672  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 15,379
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
BTW, this guy is now a Secret Service agent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxtX3Xxqj4E
If he didn't disclose his arrest record maybe not for long although the SS is desperate for new employees.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Feb 10, 18, 11:28 am
  #673  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Ahh, you noticed! :-)
But wait, there's more info directly on this item coming soon.
Apparently, it's "common" for screeners to hit passengers and to get cash payouts and bonuses in return (really?! YES!) ... and appears to be a game that TSA screeners are playing with TSA management encouragement and taxpayer funds.
That's why there are going to be hashtags #MeTooByTSA *and* #TSACoverUp
or my handle @MeTooByTSA
petaluma1 likes this.
iflyfast is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 1:57 pm
  #674  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WAS
Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Posts: 1,624
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
I think it is notable that TSA screeners can in fact get cash rewards for screening activities.

https://ia801507.us.archive.org/2/it...from%20TSA.pdf
The last sentence of the "justification" is incredible - the TSA says it was in Polson's best interest not to "[keep] a level head" with the clear implication that he should have become belligerent or combative but because he did not do so he is being rewarded.

Wow. Just, wow.
Section 107 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 4:59 pm
  #675  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,961
Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
The last sentence of the "justification" is incredible - the TSA says it was in Polson's best interest not to "[keep] a level head" with the clear implication that he should have become belligerent or combative but because he did not do so he is being rewarded.

Wow. Just, wow.
What's in that to justify an award??
Loren Pechtel is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread