Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Exceptionally bizarre QR experience: my laptop was confiscated at DOH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K

Hi all - I'm new to this forum as well as a recent first-time flier on QR, so I'm not entirely sure if my problem is as bizarre and unusual as I suspect it is. (I have, however, flown several million air miles total, to 50+ countries, so I'm certainly no travel newbie.) As my header states, my laptop was confiscated a few days ago by Hamad security as I was entering the gate area for my DOH-LAX flight.

Here's the story: last month I bought a r/t ticket from LAX to SIN, with stopovers at DOH en route (this was during their big fare sale). My travel dates were three weeks apart. On my outbound flight I had a relatively brief (~2 hour) layover in Doha, but on the return I had an overnight layover. I requested, and received, a transit visa directly from QR so I could stay at an off-site hotel.

In the middle of my trip, my laptop inexplicably stopped working altogether -- and I do mean completely dead, even though it was only a few weeks old. (I'm assuming it had some sort of critical bug from its manufacturing that didn't become evident until it'd been used a while.) Anyway, on my return trip I spent the night at a Doha hotel, and returned to the airport fairly early to catch my 8am flight to LAX. I had tried checking in for my return flights on QR's smartphone app, but I kept getting an error message when I tried it, so I ended up just checking in at the airport counters at both SIN and DOH.

After check-in at DOH I noticed immediately that I had the dreaded SSSS symbol on my boarding pass; I assumed it meant the same thing it does stateside, that I'd have to go through an enhanced security check. This seemed slightly odd, given that I met none of the criteria that usually triggers an enhanced check (plus I had no idea such checks took place outside the US). I cleared immigration and the first x-ray check of my person and hand luggage, and made my way to the gate after a stopover in the business lounge.

Upon arrival the two security agents posted at its entry point began my enhanced search. They did the usual very firm patdown of my person and testing of my hand luggage inside and out for explosives residue. And then they asked me to open my laptop in my bag and turn it on. Their English-language skills weren't great, and when I said it "wasn't working" they initially thought I was saying it was merely out of power. After a couple of minutes I finally managed to explain that the laptop was literally not working, and not merely in need of a charge. This was when they summarily announced that I "simply could not board the aircraft" with the laptop, and that I could retrieve it from the airport's lost & found office next time I was in Doha. (If at this point you're thinking "WTH...?!?!?!?!", you know what I thought about that suggestion.)

Just to clarify a few matters: first, I'm a US citizen with no ties -- familial, business, or anything else -- to the Middle East, and I have never visited any of the "seven majority-Muslim countries" that were the subject of Trump's recent attempted travel ban. I'm Caucasian with wholly European ancestry, and no one in my family is married or otherwise related to anyone of Arab descent. My "record" is squeaky-clean enough that I had no problem securing a Global Entry card a couple of years ago. I've never previously had any sort of problem with immigration in any country, and out of hundreds of individual flights taken over the past 15 years, I'd only previously gotten the dreaded SSSS boarding-card symbol once.

I mention all of this because both the desk agent and gate agent said their computer systems were newly "synced" with the American TSA database, and claimed that TSA had initiated my enhanced search, not them. I find this story difficult to believe given my trusted-flier status with TSA, plus the only remotely unusual part of my trip was spending the night in Qatar -- a majority-Muslim country, yes, but obviously not one subjected to any ban, plus I had no choice but to spend the night there.

So: the chief security guy insisted my laptop had to stay, and he flat-out refused to even look at my Global Entry card or listen to anything I said about the ludicrousness of his actions. I can only assume Hamad's security personnel were either misinformed or never informed that not everyone with the SSSS symbol on their boarding pass is alike, and in reality they can range from people picked completely at random (which I think is what happened to me) to persons on the no-fly list. Worse, I had no time at all to challenge him much about it, since by the point they finished my enhanced inspection the airline was about to close the gate on my flight.

The gate agent, to her credit, was profusely apologetic about both the security guy's attitude as well as my laptop's confiscation, and she gave me a card with a reference number on it and told me to email their customer relations team about the situation as soon as I could. I did so almost immediately after arriving in L.A. -- I remembered that the AA lounge near my connecting flight's gate had PCs available for passenger use -- but received little more than a form letter in response.

Has ANYONE here ever had anything similar EVER happen at DOH or on QR? Or even heard of it happening to someone? The gate agent said something in passing about this confiscation business being a new "protocol" instigated "within the past month or two," so did I somehow get ensnared in the president's ridiculous "crackdown" on "bad dudes"? Btw I ended up DMing the main QR account on Twitter and received a much nicer response about looking into my laptop's whereabouts, but what on earth should I do if it's somehow disappeared? QR has already claimed they have no control over DOH security -- which I suppose is technically true, though it ignores the reality that both are state-owned entities that are clearly intertwined to a major extent -- so who would be held liable for DOH security's ludicrously overzealous actions?

ANY advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Again, this was my first trip on QR, and I'm largely unfamiliar with airline protocol in general in the Middle East, so I have no real idea how to proceed from this point.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Looks like there is two seperate issues that are being mixed here.

1. If it turns out that TSA can get boarding passes marked SSSS on airports prior to boarding to the US, then thats all on them.

2. If you have a non-working laptop (or other deivce) and can't demonstrate it prior to boarding then you are very unlikely to get to bring it on board from any sensible airport.

Have I seen an of this in DOH or any other airport? Yes, #1 you see all over, there's even a forum on FT dedicated to the TSA/CBP and all related fun. As for #2, yes, I've seen it and it generally is a good thing, if you have a look at some past issues with safety.

Could the security staff at DOH have handled it better? Likely.

Is your impression of QR customer service accurate? Your descriptions sounds par for the course.

(And your projections on what you are entitled to as a white caucasian and how security is related to wether you can be linked to the middle east in any form, I can only say it's always a tad funny when it happens this way.)

-A
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
(And your projections on what you are entitled to as a white caucasian and how security is related to wether you can be linked to the middle east in any form, I can only say it's always a tad funny when it happens this way.)

-A
+1

what goes around comes around if you ask me

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 28, 2017 at 9:46 am Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
All I can say to the OP is good luck dealing with Qatar's customer "service" team.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA (Gold)
This has nothing to do with QR.
It is a TSA requirement that all laptops must be shown to be working if requested and this has been my experience at airports worldwide.
Being a US citizen does not exempt you from laws, rules and regulations despite what Mr.Trump might have you believe.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:30 am

Isn't your complaint (not that I think you actually have any grounds for one) with HIA and not QR?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kirker

Just to clarify a few matters: first, I'm a US citizen with no ties -- familial, business, or anything else -- to the Middle East, and I have never visited any of the "seven majority-Muslim countries" that were the subject of Trump's recent attempted travel ban. I'm Caucasian with wholly European ancestry, and no one in my family is married or otherwise related to anyone of Arab descent. My "record" is squeaky-clean enough that I had no problem securing a Global Entry card a couple of years ago. I've never previously had any sort of problem with immigration in any country, and out of hundreds of individual flights taken over the past 15 years, I'd only previously gotten the dreaded SSSS boarding-card symbol once.
Why should any of this matter? There is a normal security process. Being of a certain race/ancestry/citizenship shouldn't have any bearing on it.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
I was chosen for a random electronics swab test about 3 years ago at LHR prior to a BA flight to DFW, and I was surprised to see that my camera failed to turn on for some random reason.
Security folks were firm: the camera won't be onboard the aircraft unless it's in a fully working order. So it ended up confiscated and all I was given was contact info to pick it up later on.

I had no problem picking it up 3 months later while in transit at LHR en route to a 3rd country (not the US obviously).

*Your racial background doesn't entitle you to any benefits. That paragraph adds nothing to your story.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:10 am

I have had just this type of inspection of electrical goods before a flight to the UK as well, and they were checking evert device of every person on the flight. If your destination country imposes certain security protocols, the airport you board at has to enforce them. And if exceptions are made for certain passengers, the security protocol falls down.

You were unlucky that your laptop failed, but the whole point of the switching it on protocol is to check devices are what you say they are. If you had put it in your checked luggage you may well be at your local computer repair shop now...

I hope you get some joy with CS. There are reports on here of lost (rather than confiscated) electrical devices being forwarded on, although if you weren't allowed to take it on board with you, they may not be willing to carry it without you either. You might be best advised to contact your insurance company.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:26 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
With you claiming to be an experienced traveller, I am unsure as to which timewarp you have been in if you thought you were getting on a plane with a dud laptop?
I always power up my phone, laptop, iPad etc for just such eventuality albeit the last time I was asked to demonstrate everything powered up was out of Karachi a couple of years back.
I have no idea what your Global Entry has to do with the situation in an ME airport with you carrying a suspect device.
Quite ironic really given your country's recent stance!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Just to clarify a few matters: first, I'm a US citizen with no ties -- familial, business, or anything else -- to the Middle East, and I have never visited any of the "seven majority-Muslim countries" that were the subject of Trump's recent attempted travel ban. I'm Caucasian with wholly European ancestry, and no one in my family is married or otherwise related to anyone of Arab descent.
Ethnicity has nothing to do with security..
In addition, have you noticed that you were flying FROM a Muslim/Arab country ?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Bizarre QR/HIA experience: my laptop was confiscated (Part II)

Seeing as my remarks on my previous thread were misconstrued to the point of making me out as some sort of horribly overentitled American who thinks he's somehow "superior" to Middle Easterners -- and as someone who somehow "deserved" to have my laptop confiscated -- I'd appreciate the opportunity to clarify my post (and hopefully not have the moderators shut it down).

1. The only reason I mentioned anything whatsoever about my race or nationality was to point out the unlikelihood that my laptop confiscation was related to Trump's travel ban. (<redacted>)

2. One of the main points of my post was to try to determine which entity -- QR, HIA security, or the TSA -- is the responsible party here in terms of a) who physically has my laptop right now (sounds like HIA has it) and b) which one of the three, if any, could be relied upon to return it. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm aware that Hamad security and QR staff are employed by separate entities -- even though both have the same "parent" company in the form of the Qatari government --- and QR was not the one that confiscated my laptop. That being said, QR is nonetheless involved, for two key reasons: arbitrary seizure of their customers' belongings negatively affects them (publicity of this nature is never good when you're competing for business with the better-established likes of EK and EY), plus the seizures are occurring at their hub airport in the midst of substantial expansion plans on their part. Further, QR is the one party actively trying to get my laptop returned to me -- which btw I very much appreciate!

3. I mistakenly omitted it from my OP, but the QR gate agent specifically noted that there's been a significant increase in tensions between QR reps and Hamad security as of late. In a nutshell, HIA security agents have apparently crossed the line on repeated occasions from doing their jobs correctly -- following both HIA and TSA protocols, and not overreacting in certain situations -- to actions well across the lines lik3 denying pax boarding privileges entirely for reasons definitely not a part of any country's or any airport's standard protocols (and this is wholly separate from anything having to do with the US travel ban). She also specifically mentioned that she'd seen several passengers denied boarding solely because they refused to allow HIA security to not only power on their smartphones, but also go through their lists of contacts and their private text messages (!!).

4. In response to this (particularly snarky) remark: "With you claiming to be an experienced traveller, I am unsure as to which timewarp you have been in if you thought you were getting on a plane with a dud laptop?" I'm well-aware that TSA has long required passengers to power-on certain electronics, thanks. I'm also well-aware that this guideline was extended to overseas airports several years ago:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregory.../#235945d33de0

What I was not aware of was the fact that this rule also applies to laptops. I've neither seen, heard of, nor experienced a situation in which anyone was asked to power-on a large and expensive device like a laptop, or subsequently refused to allow a laptop on board. Cell phones are a different story, given that even the cheapest burner phones can readily be used to set off an explosive device. Laptops cannot be employed for this purpose, nor has anyone (AFAIK) ever attempted such a thing.

Further, there's a significant degree of difference between confiscating something like an inexpensive digital camera -- which is an inconvenience, but also not necessarily a major loss -- and a full-blown computer with thousands of files on it, including about a month's worth of work that I wasn't able to upload to the cloud or email to anyone prior to it going out. (My bad for spending so much of my travel time working with NGOs in Laos trying to disarm the hundreds of thousands of American bombs scattered throughout the country that didn't go off when they landed 40+ years ago, but now routinely maim and kill dozens or hundreds of rural residents each year! How horrible of me for not flying to Hong Kong and getting two days of spa treatments at the Mandarin Oriental while the Apple Store repaired my computer!)

5. And in response to this one: "I have no idea what your Global Entry has to do with the situation in an ME airport with you carrying a suspect device." Well, as others pointed out on the thread, the enhanced-inspection order apparently came from the U.S., which means my Global Entry status is directly relevant. TSA doesn't ever inspect my laptop inside the US, so why on earth would they order a foreign airport to do so outside of it -- particularly given my pre-clearance as a low-threat traveler? (Just FYI, members of Global Entry and/or the TSA Pre program don't have to remove their laptops or other electronic items from their bags at security checkpoints, nor do they have to remove their shoes or coats/jackets.) Logically, if I'm not suspect, my devices shouldn't be suspect, either.

6. Finally, I'd just like to say thank you to the two posters on the original thread who actually provided good advice, instead of instantly assuming the worst about me and going on the offensive: ph-ndr and Johnnieboy.

All that said: does anyone actually have any suggestions about how to retrieve my laptop, assuming QR's customer service team can't do so for some reason? Would it help, for instance, if I sent HIA a pre-stamped, pre-addressed box for mailing me the computer? Would it be possible in theory to enlist the help of a third party -- while I don't personally know anyone in Doha, I have friends who do -- to retrieve the laptop from HIA? Does anyone have any positive stories to relate about HIA or QR staff? Once again, any device you could provide would be much appreciated.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 28, 2017 at 9:55 am Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Politics can be discussed on the OMNI.

Please stick to the topic on hand and refrain from discussions related to politics, religion, race etc otherwise this thread will be closed

Please read the FT Rules for further information on what can, and cannot, be posted.

M
QR Forum Co-mod

Last edited by Zol; Feb 26, 2017 at 4:26 am
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:28 am

I remember clearly in Abu Dhabi that you had to power on all electronics or they would be confiscated. The reason I remember is because my older iPad charger I forgot so it died. Thankfully a friend has a charger because they said I wasn't getting on without it powering up.
Also they take the no photos very seriously. A friend took some pictures of the guards dressed in white and instantly they confiscated the camera. They begged and pleaded and were given it back only after deleting the pictures with a severe warning to not do it again.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
1. The only reason I mentioned anything whatsoever about my race or nationality was to point out the unlikelihood that my laptop confiscation was related to Trump's travel ban.
This has nothing to do with Trump so let's stay out of politics and the OMNI/PR (which is where threads go to slowly die in a painful way).

2. One of the main points of my post was to try to determine which entity -- QR, HIA security, or the TSA -- is the responsible party here in terms of a) who physically has my laptop right now (sounds like HIA has it) and b) which one of the three, if any, could be relied upon to return it.
Didn't they tell you?

3. I mistakenly omitted it from my OP, but the QR gate agent specifically noted that there's been a significant increase in tensions between QR reps and Hamad security as of late.
This isn't the case here. Having to show that electronics work is a very common security rule. AFAIK the rule started out at a time where explosives were hidden in electronics.

What I was not aware of was the fact that this rule also applies to laptops.
Laptops are electronics. You know that, right?

to power-on a large and expensive device like a laptop, or subsequently refused to allow a laptop on board.
Again. Every electronic device is subjected to this rule. There's no exemption for large and/or expensive devices.

Laptops cannot be employed for this purpose, nor has anyone (AFAIK) ever attempted such a thing.
How about Pan Am 103? A bomb was hidden in a cassette player (The investigators concluded that after West German police forces seized a nearly identical bomb that hadn't yet be used).

A laptop would probably be similar in size and could be used for similar purposes. If you get the density right, there's probably not way from telling it apart from the internal batteries. Powering up and testing usability of the device is one way to limit the risk.

Further, there's a significant degree of difference between confiscating something like an inexpensive digital camera -- which is an inconvenience, but also not necessarily a major loss -- and a full-blown computer with thousands of files on it
I bet that my camera is worth more than your laptop. I usually have 3 or 4 lenses in my carry-on and a camera body with thousands of pictures on it. Just because something is expensive or has lots of files on it, doesn't exonerate it from safety rules (even if you disagree on the usefulness of these rules)

My bad for spending so much of my travel time working with NGOs in Laos trying to disarm ...
Now you're just showing off and I'm starting to get why this security check went so horribly wrong for you. With such an attitude, it was obvious that you wouldn't get far with Middle Eastern security guys.

... while the Apple Store repaired my computer!
Just for the sake of being complete and showing off my nerd skills. You probably could've get the laptop going again. Holding down the command button while booting up allows you to start in recovery mode and at the very least reinstall the OS completely.

Only problems the recovery mode can't solve is a) HDD/SSD failures and b) hardware failures that prevent the laptop from booting to the "gong".

Re: the documents on the laptop, I recommend getting a cheap external HDD to do backups. These disks are very inexpensive and invaluable the day you have to use them.

Well, as others pointed out on the thread, the enhanced-inspection order apparently came from the U.S., which means my Global Entry status is directly relevant.
Compare that to this
Originally Posted by Wikipedia or any other website (common sense included)
Global Entry is a program of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection service that allows pre-approved, low-risk travelers to receive expedited clearance upon arrival into the United States.
GE is an immigration program. TSA doesn't do immigration. Security checks have nothing to do with immigration.

And other programs that allow expedited clearance at security checkpoints (e.g. TSA Pre ) do not exempt from complying with security rules.

TSA doesn't ever inspect my laptop inside the US, so why on earth would they order a foreign airport to do so outside of it
That they haven't done it yet, doesn't mean that they won't do it.

In the last 25 years I haven't been stopped for speeding. If you think that that implies that I haven't been speeding during that time I have bad news for you.

particularly given my pre-clearance as a low-threat traveler?
1) What has your pre-clearance to do with HIA security checks?
2) Your pre-clearance does not exempt you for abiding to security rules.

coats/jackets.) Logically, if I'm not suspect, my devices shouldn't be suspect, either.
In other words : Someone with TSA Pre carrying a firearm through security shouldn't be suspect because he has pre-clearance?

Would it be possible in theory to enlist the help of a third party -- while I don't personally know anyone in Doha, I have friends who do -- to retrieve the laptop from HIA? Does anyone have any positive stories to relate about HIA or QR staff? Once again, any device you could provide would be much appreciated.
That's probably up to the staff in HIA to decide. IMO it should be possible to give a friend or a person you trust a proxy by which you authorise them to retrieve your laptop (be sure to include the S/N and details of the computer) along with a copy of your passport and a proof of property (e.g. the receipt you received by Apple or the reseller that sold you the device).

I would however try getting in contact with whoever effectively has your laptop first and make your they will accept such a procedure.

PS: Don't take my post as offensive. It isn't supposed to be. I'm just trying to clarify the situation regarding the electronics rules to avoid further inconvenience. I do sincerely hope that you get reunited with your laptop. Having 50,000 pictures, 200 hrs of music, very important data and emails on my laptop I do feel your pain of having it taken away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.