Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page > "Sterilizing" electronic equipment before coming thru CBP?

"Sterilizing" electronic equipment before coming thru CBP?

Old Mar 30, 17, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Are we all spies here where we are concern with our phones being searched? If CBP wants to find my kids soccer/swim/piano schedule or that I log into flyertalk be my guest.

Sure I understand the principle but going out to by a burner phone, or dumping device after CBP searched it?
Your network of contacts (including strangers who've friended you on social media), your browsing history, information about places you've been, e-mails you've received from the "wrong" organizations, spam e-mails you've received, the wrong numbers you've called... Lots of things could draw the suspicion of government actors, especially if processed through an algorithm--and even if the data are just saved for future analysis.

Plus, the idea of an unwarranted search of one's personal life via one's phone is vile to begin with. It's vile like a stripsearch.
Old Apr 4, 17, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some in the US Senate and US House of Representatives want to prohibit CBP from searching the data on the electrical devices of US persons as part of US border searches. Let's see if this kind of proposal can get enough support to override a Presidential veto.
Old Apr 4, 17, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Some in the US Senate and US House of Representatives want to prohibit CBP from searching the data on the electrical devices of US persons as part of US border searches. Let's see if this kind of proposal can get enough support to override a Presidential veto.
Think it would get through the house?!?! There isn't a law enforcement method that applies to people that the GOP doesn't like.
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:45 pm

Snowden publicly confirmed what was already mostly known by some. And what he revealed publicly confirmed to more that the NSA didn't have it all then either. And they still don't have it all. And even much of what they have isn't as much a risk to Americans' freedom as what the CBP can do to Americans' freedom, even if the NSA were to have it all.

The NSA playing law enforcement officer in the US using warrantless NSA means to target Americans? Not a significant risk compared to CBP warantless searches being used for law enforcement purposes in the US to target Americans.

It's DHS/CBP's searches that generate the greater threat to Americans' freedom in the US. NSA is more extensively restricted in legal and practical terms with what can be done with data it gets when it comes to law enforcement use against Americans than DHS/CBP is.

Conspiracy theorists may be obsessed with our proverbial spooks going after Americans, but the ones to watch out for in government are the people formally and generally engaged in law enforcement in the US; the latter are the greater and more immediate danger to your freedom.
DHS/CBP's searches of passenger electronics' contents at ports of entry/exit are game in court:

https://www.aclu.org/legal-document/...duke-complaint
Old Sep 18, 17, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An interesting related development is that iOS 11, which will be released to the general public tomorrow, has two interesting new features:

1. Pressing the Power/screen off button five times quickly disables the TouchID sensor and makes you enter your password.

2. Plugging the phone - even if unlocked - into a computer makes you type the password before the phone trusts the computer and allows the computer to download its information.
Old Sep 19, 17, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
An interesting related development is that iOS 11, which will be released to the general public tomorrow, has two interesting new features:

1. Pressing the Power/screen off button five times quickly disables the TouchID sensor and makes you enter your password.

2. Plugging the phone - even if unlocked - into a computer makes you type the password before the phone trusts the computer and allows the computer to download its information.
It's unfortunate that Apple hasn't gone the route of hidden partition where one passcode directs the phone to go down one view while another passcode directs the phone to go down another view. This would be far more useful for its phone users outside of the US too.
Old Sep 19, 17, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's unfortunate that Apple hasn't gone the route of hidden partition where one passcode directs the phone to go down one view while another passcode directs the phone to go down another view. This would be far more useful for its phone users outside of the US too.
Do any phones have that feature?
Old Sep 19, 17, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Do any phones have that feature?
Can't think of any such phone sold in large quantities with such feature via traditional retail channels in the US, but Android phones are around with hidden partitions.
Old Sep 23, 17, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless it could emulate a lower memory version a quick check would expose the hidden partition.
Old Sep 23, 17, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a thought, on phones or other devices that use removable media, such as an SD card, could not all sensitive data be be stored on removable media? Upload that data to the cloud, mail, or what have you, reformat then carry on? Clean core device at all times.
Old Sep 24, 17, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Conited Gold (and falling)
The issue with effectively going through CBP with just an OS or even bare metal is that you really have limited time to do it if you plan to use your device on your flight. I've long advocated that if you want to do it right, load up VirtualBox or VMWare or whatever and use a VM as your default system for everything. Upload that file before your flight, then blow it away when you're descending. Install some software on the metal OS on your device to make sure the delete is truly deleted. Reinstall the VM after you leave the airport.

Anything other than this would be a pain to accomplish.
Old Sep 24, 17, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
Anything other than this would be a pain to accomplish.
Exactly. And my phone won't run VMWare.

I'll be leaving for Japan on Wednesday. I wish I trusted iOS 11 enough to load it up before I go, but I'm waiting for the first big update. I don't want my phone screwing up on my trip. I'll probably put it on my iPad however.

Here's the risk I've decided to be willing to take upon my return, and it means I'm throwing money at the problem. I will just reboot my phone before Customs. If they ask me to unlock I'll say no. If they confiscate the device I'll let them, and go buy a new one. I can afford that. I might get the phone back some day but I'll just turn it over to the EFF or similar for forensics. Never trust that phone again.
Old Sep 24, 17, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post
Exactly. And my phone won't run VMWare.

I'll be leaving for Japan on Wednesday. I wish I trusted iOS 11 enough to load it up before I go, but I'm waiting for the first big update. I don't want my phone screwing up on my trip. I'll probably put it on my iPad however.

Here's the risk I've decided to be willing to take upon my return, and it means I'm throwing money at the problem. I will just reboot my phone before Customs. If they ask me to unlock I'll say no. If they confiscate the device I'll let them, and go buy a new one. I can afford that. I might get the phone back some day but I'll just turn it over to the EFF or similar for forensics. Never trust that phone again.
Do you have some reason to believe your phone will be confiscated or searched by CBP? The odds of that happening to an average American returning from a trip to Japan are fairly infinitesimal. Why don't you just put a 16 digit alphanumeric password on your phone instead of rebooting it?
Old Sep 24, 17, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Do you have some reason to believe your phone will be confiscated or searched by CBP? The odds of that happening to an average American returning from a trip to Japan are fairly infinitesimal.
Exactly. That's why I won't bother "sterilizing" it. I won't be doing a "burner phone" either.

Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
Why don't you just put a 16 digit alphanumeric password on your phone instead of rebooting it?
Because I used Touch ID. In iOS 10 rebooting the phone is the fastest way to temporarily disable Touch ID.
Old Sep 25, 17, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going to the UK? Not giving up device access could be difficult.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trave...175748991.html

Traveler who refused to give device passwords to police found guilty of obstruction in UK court

A UK court has reaffirmed the power for state agents to use sweeping counterterrorism legislation to require travelers hand over the passwords for their digital devices for their contents to be searched at borders.

Search this Thread