Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Netherlands terminates U.S. preclearance talks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Buried here.

The Netherlands has also been in talks with the U.S. since December about extending pre-clearance to its Schiphol international airport, but on Tuesday it abruptly ended them.
Big competitive loss for DL, I imagine.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Buried here.

Sweden may be about to back out too, if my contacts in the Swedish government are getting their way. And that's despite the agreement last year.

In the aftermath of the EO ban against citizens of 7 Muslim-majority countries, lots of places will re-consider their relationship with the US and US CBP. CBP Preclearance expansion may end up a casualty in parts.

I am waiting to see if US CBP's IAP in parts ends up being on the sacrificial altar too in places.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 3, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Buried here.

Not at all. If there's a choice, I would always avoid routings that have preclearance. It's horrible to be forced to arrive at the airport early, leave the lounge early, stand in long lines for immigration and customs (versus generally going through shorter lines if one is sitting toward the front of the aircraft), and then being trapped in a holding pen with virtually no services beyond hopefully some minimal public restrooms and perhaps a water fountain if one is lucky.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:49 pm

Good. Preclearance is not a benefit.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:43 pm

I never did like that about pre-clearance. Taking away your liquids which you bought post security? Honestly, the U.S. Is very paranoid.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by br2k
Good. Preclearance is not a benefit.
Agreed. Other than Canada, where it has been the norm for a really long time and a lot of the kinks have been ironed out, it seems pretty dismal elsewhere.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Depends on the post-preclerance facilities. DUB now has a fairly sizable lounge (51 & Green) after you go through US CBP
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm one more vote in Preclearance not being a benefit. In addition to being a crappy departure experience, for all the reasons MSPEconomist mentioned, I have a more fundamental problem with the US essentially extending its borders into other countries that are foolish enough to allow it.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not at all. If there's a choice, I would always avoid routings that have preclearance. It's horrible to be forced to arrive at the airport early, leave the lounge early, stand in long lines for immigration and customs (versus generally going through shorter lines if one is sitting toward the front of the aircraft), and then being trapped in a holding pen with virtually no services beyond hopefully some minimal public restrooms and perhaps a water fountain if one is lucky.
THIS! I'm not a fan of Pre-Clearance either. Maybe it's beneficial with a US airport connection, BUT at least I'd have the option of Global Entry queues at a US airport.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Same here. It's a turnoff, not an attraction, for me.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I much prefer to dealing with CBP after my flight and five miles from my house instead of having to get to my departing airport an hour or two earlier than I otherwise would. Just in case there's a huge line for Immigration or I get secondaried and have to sweat missing my flight. Toronto is a major culprit on both scenarios. I've made it through pre-clearance at Pearson in under 2 minutes, it's also taken me 2 hours. You never know.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Pre-clearance does give me one warm feeling though - seeing CBP officers without their guns.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Agreed. Other than Canada, where it has been the norm for a really long time and a lot of the kinks have been ironed out, it seems pretty dismal elsewhere.
It makes more sense in Canada as it allows flights to places from Canada that don't even have CBP facilities (For example YYC to Palm Springs).
Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by reclusive46
It makes more sense in Canada as it allows flights to places from Canada that don't even have CBP facilities (For example YYC to Palm Springs).
Well then, why not do preclearance only for such flights and treat flights to USA international airports as genuine international flights?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well then, why not do preclearance only for such flights and treat flights to USA international airports as genuine international flights?
To enable lower MCTs for connections in the US when flying US airlines from abroad.

I say this as an opponent of CBP Preclearance expansion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.