Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by televisor
Wrong, and it's even on the CBP website:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...T1FrVl9QOW4%3D

Admittedly some of the currently banned countries aren't eligble for automatic revalidation, but far from all of them.

(Moreover I've seen documentation stating that travel validation signatures aren't required for travel to contiguous territories on J-1/F-1, which is what is more relevant in this case- but I can't find that online currently.)
<deleted by moderator> the above second paragraph wasn't in the original post until after I had responded and pointed out how the above link even sort of validates exactly what I had said earlier.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 28, 2017 at 9:26 am Reason: Unnecessary
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:19 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
This is the Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

This is not the place to discuss terrorism and violent extremism in general, policies and actions of the Iranian government or anything that is not directly related to travel security and border protection policy.

Posts that are political in nature belong in OMNI/PR. If you wish to debate issues that do not directly pertain to travel and border security, please do so there (access to OMNI/PR is limited to FlyerTalk members who have been on FT for 180 days and have made 180 posts).

Thank you.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Posts discussing the effect of these travel restrictions on the US labor market, the arbitrariness of the selection of countries whose citizens are affected and the new US administration's motivation to make these changes have been deleted.

Please feel free to discuss those topics in OMNI/PR.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety Security Co-moderator
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended

This is scary:

Originally Posted by Gillian Christensen, DHS spokeswoman
The ban extends to people already holding green cards that have until now made them legal permanent US residents
From the article posted by Markie.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yesterday may be different than today.

Today, several Iraqis with US visas were denied travel to the US with at least one airline saying -- whether true or not -- that they got a message to deny US-bound travel to citizens of these countries.
Iranian media is reporting the same. (My wife is translating some of the coverage from Farsi.) More concerning, in the past couple hours it has been reported that CBP is detaining folks who were in transit. Lawsuits are underway, which may preclude the speedy repatriation of such individuals. Feels like the VWP enhancements all over again, but this time so much more desperate.

I know that my wife's friend traveling IKA-DOH-ORD didn't make it. Not sure if she was bounced at IKA or DOH. There are reports that all seats between IKA and US destinations were filled (or at least purchased) on Friday evening; one person with a recently issued visa paid $8k out of desperation for a QR J ticket and didn't make it. Astoundingly, the same scammers who charge ridiculous sums to fill out diversity visa entries (and often do it wrong, causing serious problems when one of their customers actually wins!) are marketing their services today, claiming that they have access to charter flights still boarding to the US via Oman and they can get visa and green card holders there for just $3k.

It's also likely to damage some careers.
I will heed the moderator's warning against "going OMNI," but I'm stunned to think about how different my situation would be if I had chosen slightly different flight dates and gone south of the border for our usual January vacation. Surely, the tourist visas held by Iranian green card holders to third countries will start expiring soon. I guess the 180-day visa free access for green cards to Canada and Mexico is officially invalidated now for Iranians, as they presumably don't want such individuals stranded on their soil? So much for a conference my wife was looking forward to in Montreal.

It's still early to go there, but I have a feeling that I will remember this week as one that shaped the trajectory of my life when I'm being interviewed for my granddaughter's social studies homework in 40 -50 years. Even if by some miracle this passes quickly, the feeling of helplessness in these days is likely to push me closer to policy-related work in some shape or form. I'm also going to start looking for academic jobs in Canada again immediately - I already interviewed up there and was truly impressed by the options they offer for family reunification.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
Iranian media is reporting the same. (My wife is translating some of the coverage from Farsi.) More concerning, in the past couple hours it has been reported that CBP is detaining folks who were in transit. Lawsuits are underway, which may preclude the speedy repatriation of such individuals. Feels like the VWP enhancements all over again, but this time so much more desperate.

I know that my wife's friend traveling IKA-DOH-ORD didn't make it. Not sure if she was bounced at IKA or DOH. There are reports that all seats between IKA and US destinations were filled (or at least purchased) on Friday evening; one person with a recently issued visa paid $8k out of desperation for a QR J ticket and didn't make it. Astoundingly, the same scammers who charge ridiculous sums to fill out diversity visa entries (and often do it wrong, causing serious problems when one of their customers actually wins!) are marketing their services today, claiming that they have access to charter flights still boarding to the US via Oman and they can get visa and green card holders there for just $3k.

I will heed the moderator's warning against "going OMNI," but I'm stunned to think about how different my situation would be if I had chosen slightly different flight dates and gone south of the border for our usual January vacation. Surely, the tourist visas held by Iranian green card holders to third countries will start expiring soon. I guess the 180-day visa free access for green cards to Canada and Mexico is officially invalidated now for Iranians, as they presumably don't want such individuals stranded on their soil? So much for a conference my wife was looking forward to in Montreal.

It's still early to go there, but I have a feeling that I will remember this week as one that shaped the trajectory of my life when I'm being interviewed for my granddaughter's social studies homework in 40 -50 years. Even if by some miracle this passes quickly, the feeling of helplessness in these days is likely to push me closer to policy-related work in some shape or form. I'm also going to start looking for academic jobs in Canada again immediately - I already interviewed up there and was truly impressed by the options they offer for family reunification.
When speaking of high-income, democratic countries these past 50 years, this seems like it may indeed be the most extreme change for legal permanent residents in their own country of legal residence that I've ever encountered. This kind of governmental approach has a huge travel impact, no matter how it's sliced and diced.

Those VWP changes were a relative joke compared to this apparent destruction of the rights of large groups of law-abiding, US LPRs.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 28, 2017 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Another unprecedented update coming through my wife's network just now - CBP in Blaine, WA just rejected a couple of LPR's who had just gone across the border to visit a specialty food store in British Columbia. (Due to OFAC restrictions, the ethnic groceries in Canada tend to be a bit better stocked with authentic Persian items than those stateside, so it's a common trip for Persians in the Seattle area.) CBP told them that they should plan to hang out in BC for at least the next 3 months. CBSA apparently readmitted them to Canada without incident, which I suppose at least puts them in a better position than those in airport detention right now.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Another unprecedented update coming through my wife's network just now - CBP in Blaine, WA just rejected a couple of LPR's who had just gone across the border to visit a specialty food store in British Columbia. (Due to OFAC restrictions, the ethnic groceries in Canada tend to be a bit better stocked with authentic Persian items than those stateside, so it's a common trip for Persians in the Seattle area.) CBP told them that they should plan to hang out in BC for at least the next 3 months. CBSA apparently readmitted them to Canada without incident, which I suppose at least puts them in a better position than those in airport detention right now.

That's all I have to say.

This is going to have implications that no one can even begin to grasp at this point.

You might want to forward this info to any of the major news websites if it hasn't been done by now; I think the entire American population deserves to hear about this.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott
Iran says to ban U.S. visitors in retaliation to Trump move

"While respecting the American people and distinguishing between them and the hostile policies of the U.S. government, Iran will implement the principle of reciprocity until the offensive U.S. limitations against Iranian nationals are lifted," a Foreign Ministry statement said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...KBN15C0NR?il=0
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
at least they are in Canada.

Last edited by reclusive46; Jan 29, 2017 at 12:48 am
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Which of my words in that quoted post of mine are exactly wrong? This ought to be interesting.

While it is indeed possible for many to have an expired visa and valid I-94 for re-entry, the visa is in effect still valid. If the visa is invalid and even not yet expired on its face, then is the I-94 still valid for re-entry? I wouldn't be so sure about that.

"Iran, Sudan and Syria are not eligible for automatic revalidation of an expired visa." And it's practically more extensive than that.
There are approximately 200 countries in the world. Subtract a handful, and most are still eligible for automatic validation.

And the Visa is not in effect valid. It is only valid during the dates printed on the Visa. Your US admission status might still be valid, but the Visa is NOT valid.

And you have similar situation if your studies or training program are extended: your Visa might be expired, but you can still travel to Canada/Mexico without having to return home and obtaining a new Visa to cover the remainder of your visit.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by reclusive46
at least they are in Canada. If they are desperate enough there are some inventive ways to cross the border in British Columbia and Alberta. Including certain unguarded roads. Even if they get caught after crossing as PRs could they even send them back once they've made it in?
After being duly tried and convicted for illegally crossing the border, the criminal record would be sufficient grounds for deportation.

They should rent a boat.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by televisor
There are approximately 200 countries in the world. Subtract a handful, and most are still eligible for automatic validation.

And the Visa is not in effect valid. It is only valid during the dates printed on the Visa. Your US admission status might still be valid, but the Visa is NOT valid.

And you have similar situation if your studies or training program are extended: your Visa might be expired, but you can still travel to Canada/Mexico without having to return home and obtaining a new Visa to cover the remainder of your visit.
Most may, but a lot may not. And that goes beyond for just those from blacklisted countries. But you're welcome to open another thread on that to try to get that discussion going during these interesting times.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mre5765
After being duly tried and convicted for illegally crossing the border, the criminal record would be sufficient grounds for deportation.

They should rent a boat.
Revoking LPR status isn't a legally required procedure before deporting a recognized US LPR?

Even with a boat they could be required to report in person to a port of entry and detained and denied entry in much the same way as those detained and denied entry at US airports of entry.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Revoking LPR status isn't a legally required procedure before deporting a recognized US LPR?
I never said it wasn't. I went straight to the end game.

It is bad advice to sneak across the border. It's a trap.

I disagree with preventing LPRs with no criminal convictions from re-entering the USA, and I suspect the courts will eventually concur.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:10 pm

Protest taking place at JFK:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...412046833.html

A group of protesters mobilized at John F. Kennedy Airport following the detainment of two Iraqi refugees Saturday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.