Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by chenalex
That injunction might only be enforceable in New York, and the circuit in which the court resides.
The judge was clear that it was nationwide. I suspect a Federal judge is unlikely to claim authority they don't have.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mauve
The judge was clear that it was nationwide. I suspect a Federal judge is unlikely to claim authority they don't have.
A federal judge can't over rule the President.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
If they say something is unconstitutional they can.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Let's see how fast this goes up to the SCOTUS.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Ever heard of checks and balances?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
NPR:
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by samplat
According to WSJ, the ban also applies to dual citizens! I don't have access to the full article but if true, this could even impact naturalized US citizens e.g. those considered citizen of one of the countries by birth, etc.

Here's the link: http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-vi...ays-1485628654
I can apparently see the entire article without doing anything to sign in. WSJ may have decided to remove the pay wall, so folks might want to try again.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

In The Washington Post:
<snip>

Minutes after the judge’s ruling in New York, another came in Virginia when U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema issued a temporary restraining order to block for seven days the removal of any green-card holders being detained at Dulles International Airport. Brinkema’s action also ordered that lawyers have access to those held there because of the ban.

<snip>

In New York, Donnelly seemed to have little patience for the government’s arguments, which focused heavily on the fact that the two defendants named in the lawsuit had already been released. Donnelly noted that those detained were suffering mostly from the bad fortune of traveling while the ban went into effect. “Our own government presumably approved their entry to the country,” she said at one point, noting that, had it been two days prior, those detained would have been granted admission without question.

<snip>

Nationwide, [a senior Department of Homeland Security official] said, 109 people had been denied entry into the United States. All had been in transit when Trump signed the order, and some had already departed the United States on flights by late Saturday while others were still being detained awaiting flights. Also, 173 people had not been allowed to board U.S.-bound planes at foreign airports.

<snip>
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by samplat
According to WSJ, the ban also applies to dual citizens! I don't have access to the full article but if true, this could even impact naturalized US citizens e.g. those considered citizen of one of the countries by birth, etc.

Here's the link: http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-vi...ays-1485628654
Non-US dual-citizens, and other non-US citizens, with a citizenship of the blacklisted countries got hit by this order. Having a US ordinary passport as an Iranian citizen worked just fine yesterday and today AFAIK.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
An official with the Department of Homeland Security who briefed reporters by phone said 109 people who were in transit on airplanes had been denied entry and 173 had not been allowed to get on their planes overseas.

No green-card holders had been ultimately been prevented from entering the U.S. as of Saturday, the official said, though several spent long hours in detention before being allowed in. Abdollah Mostafavi, 80, was released six hours after his flight arrived in San Francisco from Frankfurt.
https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...tml#pt0-839996

I have some doubt about the accuracy of those numbers.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
lol what? C'mon now. That happens all the time.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:09 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...ource=facebook

"The recent change to the U.S. entry requirements for nationals of 7 countries applies to all travellers and flight operations crew," the spokeswoman said in emailed comments. "We have made the necessary adjustments to our crewing, to comply with the latest requirements."
Looks like crews are also affected
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...tml#pt0-839996

I have some doubt about the accuracy of those numbers.
How many hundreds were refused boarding at a foreign airport? That number probably dwarfs those who were in the air when the word went out.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I'm so exhausted at this point that I probably won't be posting here as much today, though I will be at the rally at 1pm today in Boston at Copley Square.

My sister-in-law got a slightly different cancellation email from State a few minutes after the Massachusetts injunction.

There is a more complete FAQ on State's website today, basically saying that Iranians et al can continue to work on cases heading to the National Visa Center, but the NVC is now some sort of visa purgatory where those cases will wait for an all-clear before being released to Ankara or Abu Dhabi (in Iranian cases).

My read of reporting on the MA injunction is that there should now be a window in which ordinary visa holders (not just LPRs) can land at Logan, though it does nothing for those of us worried about cases in the pipeline. I have no idea if that is CBP's read of things or how they are handling things on the ground. I must say that the treatment and questioning of arriving LPRs on Saturday in contrast to, say, Friday, was just bizarre - who knows what they are being directed to investigate and how they are interpreting it on the ground.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:59 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note:

2nd Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
This is the Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

This is not the place to discuss terrorism and violent extremism in general, policies and actions of the Iranian government or anything that is not directly related to travel security and border protection policy.

Posts that are political in nature belong in OMNI/PR. If you wish to debate issues that do not directly pertain to travel and border security, please do so there (access to OMNI/PR is limited to FlyerTalk members who have been on FT for 180 days and have made 180 posts).

Thank you.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Additional posts have been deleted.

Before posting in this thread, please review your message to make sure that it directly pertains to travel and border security and is not political in nature.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.