Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
This beggars belief. Wow.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
State has put up a message on its website urging individuals with pending appointments to not attend. They will not be permitted to enter the building.

Some applicants claim to have received a similar message from State by email within the last hour, but thus far my family has not been contacted.

I'm planning to call Embassy Abu Dhabi when their phone lines open at 11pm ET tonight (the start of the Arabian workweek), even though I fear that they may not know much themselves about how this is going to play out. I imagine I won't be the only angry taxpayer demanding answers.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
State has put up a message on its website urging individuals with pending appointments to not attend. They will not be permitted to enter the building.

Some applicants claim to have received a similar message from State by email within the last hour, but thus far my family has not been contacted.

I'm planning to call Embassy Abu Dhabi when their phone lines open at 11pm ET tonight (the start of the Arabian workweek), even though I fear that they may not know much themselves about how this is going to play out. I imagine I won't be the only angry taxpayer demanding answers.
I had heard that citizens of the blacklisted countries aren't allowed access to US embassies/consulates if seeking consular services to which they are neither entitled nor party to. It's a way to reduce the chances of a protest or other "concerning"/"unwelcome" incidents breaking out inside the facilities.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a most troubling quote from The WaPo story:

The lawyers for those detained at JFK said they were told officials at the airport couldn’t help them when they began to seek their clients’ release.

“Who is the person to talk to?” the attorneys asked, according to the court complaint. The CBP agents responded: “Mr. President. Call Mr. Trump.”

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 28, 2017 at 2:28 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by rickg523

“Who is the person to talk to?” the attorneys asked, according to the court complaint. The CBP agents responded: “Mr. President. Call Mr. Trump.”
<deleted by moderator>

Meanwhile, a spreadsheet maintained by immigration activists indicates that dual citizen Persian-Canadians seeking admission on the basis of Canadian citizenship are being turned away at land borders, possibly revealing how CBP is interpreting one of the ambiguous clauses in the order. Not the first time I've uttered this over the past few days, but we are truly in uncharted waters now...

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 28, 2017 at 2:29 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
To deliver on this order, CBP has notified airlines about passengers whose visas have been canceled and also about US legal residents who were/are scheduled to fly back to the US but are no longer "welcome" to do so for as long as this order is in effect and applies to the impacted passengers.

AF, BA, KL and LH have been dealing with this all day.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Green Card holders are affected.

In The New York Times:
<snip>

The Department of Homeland Security said that the executive order also barred green card holders from those countries from re-entering the United States. In a briefing for reporters on Saturday, White House officials said that green card holders from the seven affected countries who are outside the United States would need a case-by-case waiver to return to the United States.

Legal residents who have a green card and are currently in the United States should meet with a consular officer before leaving the country, a White House official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told reporters. Officials did not clarify the criteria that would qualify someone for a waiver from the president’s executive order, which says only that one can be granted when it is “in the national interest.”

<snip>

Iranian green card holders who live in the United States were blindsided by the decree while on vacation in Iran, finding themselves in a legal limbo and unsure whether they would be able to return to America. “How do I get back home now?” said Daria Zeynalia, a green card holder who was visiting family in Iran. He had rented a house and leased a car, and would be eligible for citizenship in November. “What about my job? If I can’t go back soon, I’ll lose everything.”
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
Legal residents who have a green card and are currently in the United States should meet with a consular officer before leaving the country, a White House official...told reporters.
It would sure be nice to know what he/she means by "meet with a consular officer" inside the United States - thought that was only possible in most circumstances at a post abroad.

In other news, here's a screenshot of a message sent within the last hour to the holder of a February appointment written in classically dry and direct DOS fashion. Still no updates on my case, however.

Name:  01.28.16 NVC Message.JPG
Views: 1085
Size:  26.9 KB
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if discussion is occurring in any of the individual airline and destination fora now, but it looks like protests are occurring in many hub airports this afternoon. What started at JFK this afternoon is spreading to many cities, including PDX and IAD. A protest at BOS is supposed to be starting imminently according to a local activist thread.

Hope the LEOs working the airports tonight show restraint in what I think is unprecedented for US airports and ports of entry - the only parallel I can think of is the swarming of Ataturk during the coup in Turkey last summer...
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
at least they are in Canada. If they are desperate enough there are some inventive ways to cross the border in British Columbia and Alberta. Including certain unguarded roads. Even if they get caught after crossing as PRs could they even send them back once they've made it in?
No, they'd be sent to the Immigration detention facility in Tacoma.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
According to WSJ, the ban also applies to dual citizens! I don't have access to the full article but if true, this could even impact naturalized US citizens e.g. those considered citizen of one of the countries by birth, etc.

Here's the link: http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-vi...ays-1485628654

Last edited by samplat; Jan 28, 2017 at 6:25 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by samplat
According to WSJ, the ban also applies to dual citizens! I don't have access to the full article but if true, this could even impact naturalized US citizens e.g. those considered citizen of one of the countries by birth, etc.
I don't think that's what is meant, or at least I hope not. Someone with U.K. and Iraqi citizenship isn't going to be able to get in with their British passport, but someone with US and Iraqi citizenship should still be good.

However, nothing's going to surprise me anymore. I wouldn't have thought they would have barred people with green cards.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by samplat
No.

I can't get behind the paywall, but here's an excerpt from an article in The Hill:
Trump's visa ban also applies to dual citizens: report
The newspaper offered the example of an Iraqi person entering the U.S. on a British passport would also be banned, though British citizens don't normally require a visa to enter the country.
“Travelers who have nationality or dual nationality of one of these countries will not be permitted for 90 days to enter the United States or be issued an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa,” the statement said, according to the Journal.

“Those nationals or dual nationals holding valid immigrant or nonimmigrant visas will not be permitted to enter the United States during this period. Visa interviews will generally not be scheduled for nationals of these countries during this period.”

The dual-citizenship ban doesn’t apply to U.S. citizens who are also citizens of the seven nations singled out by Trump.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:24 pm

FYI, a federal judge just issued a temporary injunction that may protect anyone who has current status. Specifically, it appears to protect anyone currently in custody pursuant to the order from being deported.

I think this could allow green card holders to return.

It is unclear if CBP is complying with the injunction.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
That injunction might only be enforceable in New York, and the circuit in which the court resides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.