Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Unfortunately overruling Korematsu won't help the kids in Casa Padre or the other child detention centers getting set up.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Cant say Im surpried. Plessy, Shelby, Korematsu, Dred Scott, and now, Trump v. Hawaii for the history books.

At least the good news is that Muslim internment camps in the US no longer have a future as the Korematsu ruling was overturned by the Courts Trump ruling.
Do you think this will be overturned in the near future? Side note, what does it take for a Supreme Court to overturn its own ruling, a previous ruling, which, on its face, is constitutional? Dred Scott was there until 70 years later Brown v Board overturned it.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The policy will change with a new President. The Supreme Court didn't set a policy, it effectively said that the Executive can create immigration policy like the travel ban. That's it.

However, expect the current policy to be replaced by a far more draconian one in the very near future.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: EY
Regarding the order please correct me if I am wrong, but will it expire in 90-120 days, which the original ban said was necessary so they could devise new protocols and 'figure out what was going on? One would have think they would have done that over the past 9-17 months that this has been going on.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by xobile
Do you think this will be overturned in the near future? Side note, what does it take for a Supreme Court to overturn its own ruling, a previous ruling, which, on its face, is constitutional? Dred Scott was there until 70 years later Brown v Board overturned it.
The EO-supporting ruling is unlikely to be overturned for many, many years to come. And with this Executive Order pusher most probably getting even more chances to stack the Supreme Court before permanently exiting the role of POTUS, it may even end up being a 25+ year wait. Fear is the enemy of freedom, and this fear-based EO undermines the freedoms to travel, of family life, and of religion. But this SCOTUS majority seems fine with just that.

But I would expect that some future POTUS in the next 3-8 years ends up rescinding this EO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.