Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Executive orders banning entry to US ... [merged threads]

Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It seems the airlines were told by IATA what the situation was:

http://www.thelocal.se/20170204/sas-...vel-ban-ruling

Originally Posted by thelocal.se
Scandinavian airlines SAS and Norwegian have not taken a definite position on passengers from countries affected by US President Donald Trump's now-suspended travel ban.
What the reversal of the ban means for passengers from the countries affected by it remains unclear.

Airline industry body IATA has informed SAS that the judge's ruling lifting the ban is valid, reports news agency Ritzau.

But SAS is still advising passengers affected by the ruling to contact US embassies.

"It is the American authorities that have the final say on whether someone can board a plane to the USA," SAS director of communication Karin Nyman told news agency TT.

Earlier on Saturday, a number of airlines - including Qatar Airways, Lufthansa, Iberia and Air France - announced that they would allow passengers from the seven countries affected by Trump's executive order to board their planes.

The New York Times reports that all airlines were informed on Friday that they could begin taking on board passengers from the countries in question - Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

But low-cost airline Norwegian says that "certain ambiguities" regarding the rules remain, and that passengers are therefore advised to contact US embassies if they are in doubt.

"We at Norwegian must abide by the American authorities' rules and have absolutely no way of affecting who is and is not permitted to travel to the US," Charlotte Holmbergh, information officer with the airline, told TT.
and yet different airlines took a different approach even for flights leaving at about the same time.

Originally Posted by TWA884
According to the NPR article that I linked in the post to which you responded:
The same article also reported that Qatar, Emirates, Etihad and Lufthansa were among the airlines that announced they will resume boarding travelers affected by the executive order.
It doesn't specify a time. It says a day, Friday.

By the time on Friday that the order had come out from the judge in Seattle, perhaps there were few to no more scheduled flights on common carriers from Europe to the US.

The article doesn't mention what time and day the Admin's agencies/departments were telling the European and other non-US airlines about the return to the pre-EO standard and whether or not to ignore the do not board indications. The notification schedule would be useful to know.

It also doesn't mention by what time all the provisionally revoked visas were reinstated, if they all were even reinstated. That schedule would also be useful to know.

The specific times would be useful to know, not only to know how much spin doctoring was going on and when, but also to know whether or not denied transport is legally actionable and against which parties it may be.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 5, 2017 at 4:17 am
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:33 am
Suspended

By some point yesterday (Saturday), State reinstated all the provisionally revoked visas. But for those whose visas were revoked with an applied physical stamp in the past several days, they have to try to get a new visa at a US embassy/consulate.

State is allowing such people to make appointments to apply for a new visa.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:11 am

Does this EO affect US citizens who travel to one of those 7 countries? I have always wanted to visit Iran but now with President Trump, will I need to wait 8 years? Assuming it's reinstated. At the very least I imagine a long wait in immigration coming back. On the no fly list in 3.. 2.. 1.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by zitsky
Does this EO affect US citizens who travel to one of those 7 countries? I have always wanted to visit Iran but now with President Trump, will I need to wait 8 years? Assuming it's reinstated. At the very least I imagine a long wait in immigration coming back. On the no fly list in 3.. 2.. 1.
Usually with such bans there is often a tit-for-tat response. Iran has refused Visas to the US wrestling team that has been visiting annually for more than a decade. I am sure there will be similar actions. It as causes other problems, namely trust.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/03/w...americans.html

FWIW the 9th Circuit Court has upheld the TOR on the ban until arguments can be heard on Monday.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Feb 5, 2017 at 6:06 pm Reason: Forgot to the TOR bit
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:04 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It doesn't specify a time. It says a day, Friday.
Your question was what time Saturday. I pointed out that it was Friday, the day before.

in addition, the ME3 and Lufthansa were notified in time for them to allow passengers affected by the executive order to fly to the US on Saturday. Whether other carriers were informed of the change at or near the same time I haven't found any information.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
Your question was what time Saturday. I pointed out that it was Friday, the day before.

in addition, the ME3 and Lufthansa were notified in time for them to allow passengers affected by the executive order to fly to the US on Saturday. Whether other carriers were informed of the change at or near the same time I haven't found any information.
This was indeed the question:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
At what time (local D.C. time) on Saturday did State and DHS get to work and fully reverse the so-called provisional revocation of all the visas revoked under this EO? Today were the airlines boarding all booked flights' people with an unexpired US visa and ignoring all/many "do not board" notices from the US?
State hadn't reinstated much of anything on Friday (local D.C. time) for EO provisionally revoked visa holders as far as I know. DHS on Friday night (local LAX time) was already changing things due to the Seattle judge's order.

By the last of the Europe-US flights on Saturday, plenty of EU carriers had indeed been notified and were allowing people to fly who would have been previously denied under this EO. But for the earliest EU-US flights, lots of EU carriers still didn't know what to do and were still getting do not board notifications for EO-hit passengers. And some carriers still had passengers hit by the EO on Saturday afternoon local Brussels time.

There hasn't been much major coverage of the role of CBP's IAP assigned personnel abroad in these circumstances and what that has meant. circumstances.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Usually with such bans there is often a tit-for-tat response. Iran has refused Visas to the US wrestling team that has been visiting annually for more than a decade. I am sure there will be similar actions. It as causes other problems, namely trust.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/03/w...americans.html

FWIW the 9th Circuit Court has upheld the ban until arguments can be heard on Monday. <redacted by moderator>
The 9th Circuit has given the opponents of the ban until sometime today to get in their stuff. The US DOJ has been given until 3pm LAX/SFO time tomorrow to get in their stuff.

So most EO-hit people probably have until at least Monday that time to get back into the US
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Was at BOS for most of the day helping 7 or 8 members of a social media group for diversity visa winners book and make domestic connections. It seems that secondary inspection wait times were a little higher than usual due to the sheer number of folks who booked flights into Boston today out of desperation. (New immigrants have to wait in the secondary inspection area for at least some minutes to process paperwork on behalf of CIS and the Social Security Administration, even if CBP doesn't feel like asking any substantive questions.)

Despite the wait to see an officer, there was absolutely no sign of the all-caps "very careful" inspections promised by Donald on Twitter this morning - a few of the Iranians my wife and I met reported completely silent interactions with CBP; the most intensive interview consisted of three questions from an ag officer about pistachios self-reported by one of the travelers. I would say that, if anything, Logan CBP was going incredibly gentle on these travelers today compared to a typical day pre-ban. There was definitely none of the political questioning or social media screening reported last weekend.

There was a round of applause among the attorneys in the terminal for the LH crew when they emerged. However, learning of the walk-up J fares paid by one family that was truly not in a financial position to afford such fares certainly dampened any warm, fuzzy feelings I was having about LH - the airline may not have been intentionally profiteering with its decision to transport Iranians to BOS, but it was heartbreaking to learn that so much of a nest egg intended for starting a new life here was sucked away in exchange for the last two seats on the IKA-FRA segment.

Last edited by lonelycrowd; Feb 6, 2017 at 7:11 am Reason: Typo spotted - though it will live forever in Zitsky's quote
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
Was at BOS for most of the day helping 7 or 8 members of a social media group for diversity visa winners book and make domestic connections. It seems that secondary inspection wait times were a little higher than usual due to the sheer number of folks who booked flights into Boston today out of desperation. (New immigrants have to wait in the secondary inspection area for at least some minutes to process paperwork on behalf of CIS and the Social Security Administration, even if CBP doesn't feel like asking any substantive questions.)

Despite the wait to see an officer, there was absolutely no sign of the all-caps "very careful" inspections promised by Donald on Twitter this morning - a few of the Iranians my wife and I met reported completely silent interactions with CBP; the most intensive interview consisted of three questions from an ag officer about pistachios self-reported by one of the travelers. I would say that, if anything, Logan CBP was going incredibly gentile on these travelers today compared to a typical day pre-ban. There was definitely none of the political questioning or social media screening reported last weekend.

There was a round of applause among the attorneys in the terminal for the LH crew when they emerged. However, learning of the walk-up J fares paid by one family that was truly not in a financial position to afford such fares certainly dampened any warm, fuzzy feelings I was having about LH - the airline may not have been intentionally profiteering with its decision to transport Iranians to BOS, but it was heartbreaking to learn that so much of a nest egg intended for starting a new life here was sucked away in exchange for the last two seats on the IKA-FRA segment.
Have you considered setting up a GoFundMe page for some of these families?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:01 am
Suspended

Yesterday (on Sunday), people hit by the EO were still having trouble:

Originally Posted by Washington Post
At Dulles International Airport in Northern Virginia on Sunday, immigration lawyers could be heard on phones, arguing with airline representatives to let their passengers board as some seemed confused over the various court rulings and what they meant.
https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...tml#pt0-837918
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by zitsky
Have you considered setting up a GoFundMe page for some of these families?
We might think about it, though the overall demands on our time and energy have been pretty draining over the last 13 days since the first rumor leaked. Honestly, I don't envy the prospect of trying to determine who is most deserving of help within that diversity visa winners support group.

While the case of the family that paid for last-minute LH J when it appeared that LH would be the only carrier honoring the Massachusetts injunction was heartbreaking, they do have family to fall back on in California and I believe they will land on their feet just fine.

On the bright side, I put a major dent in the Chase RC airline fee credit with all the checked bags I paid for yesterday.

With respect to the issuance of new visas - there have been a couple of developments. People who missed appointments last week were being seen in Abu Dhabi yesterday on a walk-in basis and were granted visas, pending the completion of medical clearance. Folks who had visas physically invalidated by Sharpie, e.g. by trying to get through AUH preclearance or coming into contact with IAP while in transit, are also getting replacement stickers now. (Embassy Abu Dhabi is on the Arabian workweek and issues visas on Sundays.) Encouragingly, blacklist applicants with interviews scheduled over the next two months magically had their appointment times re-populate in CEAC (the online self-service application for visa applicants) overnight, with most applicants getting their original time slots back. I don't know if this occurred for all visa categories or just the diversity visa program, however.

Now, let's take a deep breath and wait for the next twist of fate...
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:10 am
Suspended

lonelycrowd, thanks for the updates.

It's been an interesting period.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
For those who want to read up on the court filings for the appeal:

Docket #: 17-35105

Account registration required. While the registration indicates a fee of $0.10/page, the fee is waived if your balance for each quarter is $15 or less.

See (8) Automatic Fee Exemptions.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:36 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf

Account registration required. While the registration indicates a fee of $0.10/page, the fee is waived if your balance for each quarter is $15 or less.

For those who want to read it for free and without creating any account, see here:

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/

Click the appropriate link under "Cases of Interest".
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by seawolf

The RECAP project is great for avoiding these fees:
https://www.courtlistener.com/docket...onald-j-trump/
Since the page Ari posted isn't updated as frequently as PACER and if the document isn't available yet you can get it from PACER and add it using the RECAP extension

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.