How Many TSA Screeners at Inauguration

Old Jan 20, 17, 12:12 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 17,921
How Many TSA Screeners at Inauguration

Was wondering how many TSA screeners were pulled from around the country to help staff the inauguration?

It would seem that pulling even a few TSA screeners would weaken airport security or perhaps TSA has excess employees.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jan 20, 17, 12:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,517
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Was wondering how many TSA screeners were pulled from around the country to help staff the inauguration?

It would seem that pulling even a few TSA screeners would weaken airport security or perhaps TSA has excess employees.
I don't know the answer but I have read that TSA screeners were taking empty water bottles away from people trying to get on to the Mall.

TSA/Secret Service claimed to be screening 1500 people per hour. I know that when I went to the 2009 Inauguration, I saw nobody being screened. I tend to think that's probably the case this year also.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 17, 12:41 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,851
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Was wondering how many TSA screeners were pulled from around the country to help staff the inauguration?

It would seem that pulling even a few TSA screeners would weaken airport security or perhaps TSA has excess employees.
It would strengthen airport security and weaken inauguration security.
Carl Johnson is offline  
Old Jan 21, 17, 4:09 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 13,608
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
I don't know the answer but I have read that TSA screeners were taking empty water bottles away from people trying to get on to the Mall.

TSA/Secret Service claimed to be screening 1500 people per hour. I know that when I went to the 2009 Inauguration, I saw nobody being screened. I tend to think that's probably the case this year also.
Even if you asume that there were 100,000 people down at the Mall yesterday, 1500 per hour meant that it wold have taken 66.6 hours to screen all the people. Par for the course for the TSA.
FliesWay2Much is offline  
Old Jan 22, 17, 3:01 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: IAD
Programs: AA, WN, B6 & UA (Not my fault I live near a fortress hub.)
Posts: 506
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
I saw nobody being screened. I tend to think that's probably the case this year also.
The closer in ticketed areas are screened.
IAD_flyer is offline  
Old Jan 23, 17, 8:08 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,517
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer View Post
The closer in ticketed areas are screened.
This is true.

I've read that TSA were 90 minutes late in opening the screening for those areas, were slow in screening and caused many people to miss the festivities.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:06 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,517
From our friend, Lisa Farbstein:


Once again, I don't see the link once I post.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jan 23, 17 at 5:23 pm
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:11 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 17,921
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
Courtesy of our friend Lisa Farbstein:

Every screener in this picture is excess for airport screening operations.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:50 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 32,726
I sure hope taxpayer dollars weren't spent to bring them in from around the country, feed them, and lodge them.
chollie is offline  
Old Jan 23, 17, 6:03 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,517
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
I sure hope taxpayer dollars weren't spent to bring them in from around the country, feed them, and lodge them.
Of course it was our dollars that paid for this.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 17, 6:04 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dulles, VA
Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Posts: 2,673
Of course tax dollars were spent. They are federal employees traveling for their job. Flights, hotels and per diem are covered.
catocony is offline  
Old Jan 23, 17, 6:49 pm
  #12  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 14,153
Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
Once again, I don't see the link once I post.
As of approximately a month ago, posting Twitter links embeds the tweet in the body of the message. Clicking on the tweet has the same effect as clicking on a link.

This was announced in the Technical Support and Feedback forum:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 17, 6:55 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 32,726
Did they get these privileged TSOs by shutting down Pre lanes or are they just non-working BDOs, LTSOs and STSOs who got a taxpayer-funded boondoggle standing around someplace besides the airport checkpoints?
chollie is offline  
Old Jan 24, 17, 7:29 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: JFK LGA PBI BOI
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
Of course it was our dollars that paid for this.
And if you scroll down LisaF twitter page you will see TSO's from JFK visiting the Washington Monument, probably on our dime as well.
Did they follow federal employee travel guidelines and take Amtrak or did they fly?
Brighton Line is offline  
Old Jan 24, 17, 1:14 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Every screener in this picture is excess for airport screening operations.
On the upside, I bet it increased their moral and gave them a warm fuzzy feeling that they were needed...for a change.
DeafBlonde is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: