Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will TSA respond to FLL baggage claim shooting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The word "when" wasn't there. In a checked bag or not, a firearm is generally considered more dangerous than a wrench or screwdriver -- even in a checked bag. This is why the transport of firearms even in common carrier holds is more regulated than transport of wrenches and screwdrivers in common carrier holds. Those are the facts, whether they are convenient or not, when traveling with such items.
This was the original post:
Originally Posted by BSBD
A firearm in a checked bag is just an inert hunk of metal. It's no more dangerous than a screwdriver or wrench.
So yes, a firearm in a checked bag.

And no, it's not considered more dangerous, because it isn't. The restrictions are to prevent others from unauthorized access to the firearm. That being said, when a firearm is in a checked bag with no ammo inside (as that's how they fly), there's no danger to people. It was in response to this:
Originally Posted by N830MH
<SNIP>The weapons is prohibited. Do not put a gun into checked bags or carryon. Leave your weapons at home and don't bring along with you. It could be very dangerous out there.
And the response, rightfully so, was that a weapon in a checked bag is NOT dangerous. No one is in danger of a gun with no finger on the trigger, in a locked box, with no ammo, going off accidentally or otherwise.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
This was the original post:
So yes, a firearm in a checked bag.

And no, it's not considered more dangerous, because it isn't. The restrictions are to prevent others from unauthorized access to the firearm. That being said, when a firearm is in a checked bag with no ammo inside (as that's how they fly), there's no danger to people. It was in response to this:
And the response, rightfully so, was that a weapon in a checked bag is NOT dangerous. No one is in danger of a gun with no finger on the trigger, in a locked box, with no ammo, going off accidentally or otherwise.
Of course a gun in checked luggage is cosidered generally more dangerous than a wrench or screwdriver in checked luggage. It's why the guns and ammo in checked luggage is regulated in a way that the wrenches and screwdrivers in checked luggage are not controlled.

Also, guns with bullet components in checked luggage can have the bullet components explode on planes or otherwise airside, even when those are not generally accessible to the passenger airside. It would take far more to make a wrench or screwdriver in checked luggage to explode at an airport or on an airplane. Just some facts.

Are you really going to tell us that checked in firearms never have any ammo in them? I have no faith in human perfection; and so I don't expect passengers, airline employees and TSA employees to have prevented all guns with ammo in them from being transported in checked luggage -- after all, rules aren't always followed perfectly. How often does the airline or TSA make sure a passenger transporting a checked in gun domestically is even legally allowed to have a gun and transport one? We know rules aren't always followed by the members of the public in that regard too. The airlines and TSA spend more time obsessing about passenger ID than they do identifying the legal allowance for the passenger with a checked in gun to even have a gun with them.

Note the following: I am not calling for a change in regulations for passenger guns transported on common carriers, as the carriage of firearms from checked baggage poses the same level of risk for being used to shoot up people as at many a public building or other area where carrying firearms is allowed. But the notion of guns in checked luggage or otherwise being no more dangerous than a screwdriver or wrench just defies any semblance of objectivity.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 11, 2017 at 4:56 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I personally do not expect anyone with (no tactical training, no weapons and) no good option past "get out" to do anything other than "get out" is, it is unreasonable. It is simply unreasonable to expect untrained, unarmed civilians to face an armed individual bent on doing harm to people - especially if those people have the option to flee and remove themselves from danger.
Unfortunately, TSA invites exactly this criticism.

Consider:
TSA seems to be doing everything in its power to convey the idea that TSOs are not merely "civilians". It seems a bit odd, then, for an employee of TSA to say "well, we're just civilians and shouldn't be expected to act any differently during an emergency."

(And just to clarify: this is a criticism of TSA, not of you. Your agency has established an unreasonable image for you that you cannot possibly live up to. The fault is theirs, not yours.)
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course a gun in checked luggage is cosidered generally more dangerous than a wrench or screwdriver in checked luggage. It's why the guns and ammo in checked luggage is regulated in a way that the wrenches and screwdrivers in checked luggage are not controlled.

Also, guns with bullet components in checked luggage can have the bullet components explode on planes or otherwise airside, even when those are not generally accessible to the passenger airside. It would take far more to make a wrench or screwdriver in checked luggage to explode at an airport or on an airplane. Just some facts.

Are you really going to tell us that checked in firearms never have any ammo in them? I have no faith in human perfection; and so I don't expect passengers, airline employees and TSA employees to have prevented all guns with ammo in them from being transported in checked luggage -- after all, rules aren't always followed perfectly. How often does the airline or TSA make sure a passenger transporting a checked in gun domestically is even legally allowed to have a gun and transport one? We know rules aren't always followed by the members of the public in that regard too. The airlines and TSA spend more time obsessing about passenger ID than they do identifying the legal allowance for the passenger with a checked in gun to even have a gun with them.

Note the following: I am not calling for a change in regulations for passenger guns transported on common carriers, as the carriage of firearms from checked baggage poses the same level of risk for being used to shoot up people as at many a public building or other area where carrying firearms is allowed. But the notion of guns in checked luggage or otherwise being no more dangerous than a screwdriver or wrench just defies any semblance of objectivity.
This is ridiculous and at this point, I'm just going to assume you're joking. I don't know what "objectivity" you're complaining about as I have no relationship (which could cause lack of objectivity) to gun, luggage, or airport security groups.

I'm also curious the last time a gun, in a locked box in a checked bag, caused any more danger, than any other item in a checked bag
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to me that handguns and other firearms are considered as being dangerous otherwise why the requirement to carry them in a locked case?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems to me that handguns and other firearms are considered as being dangerous otherwise why the requirement to carry them in a locked case?
They are inherently dangerous and proper precautions must be taken. For example, one must ensure that a gun can't easily fall into the wrong hands when being transported.

The point that was made earlier (that I am defending) was that once those precautions are taken and a gun is packed away in a locked box and out of sight of people, then the physical gun doesn't present a danger any more than anything else in the bag.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When it comes to being checked in on common carrier flights in the US, there is no US requirement for wrenches and screwdrivers in checked luggage to be placed in a locked case for transport. For guns there is such a requirement. Such requirements are built upon at least the perception of there being a greater danger when guns are present in checked luggage than when say wrenches or screwdrivers are in checked luggage.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Theft prevention.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:37 am

Facts? Really? Please provide a detailed explanation of how this could happen.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BSBD
Theft prevention.
How does a locked case prevent theft? Take the whole bag, just the locked case, and open it later.

I think the requirement for a locked case is exactly as stated by GUWonder in #99.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Revisited My Previous Opinion

This story has almost completely dropped off the television news radar screens and the TSA was never blamed for this or accused of anything stupid. So, my current view is that the TSA will do nothing because nobody blamed them for anything. Besides, they are too busy learning new groping techniques and trying to get us to sign up for Extortion-Check.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does a locked case prevent theft? Take the whole bag, just the locked case, and open it later.

I think the requirement for a locked case is exactly as stated by GUWonder in #99.
Which is? Without a locked box, a gun will on its own walk out of the bag and start attacking people?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
This story has almost completely dropped off the television news radar screens and the TSA was never blamed for this or accused of anything stupid. So, my current view is that the TSA will do nothing because nobody blamed them for anything. Besides, they are too busy learning new groping techniques and trying to get us to sign up for Extortion-Check.
I am no fan of TSA but this event is not a TSA matter. Similar to the 9/11 terrorist the rules in place at that point in time were complied with.

And for the record I think that after 9/11 the screening rules should have been updated from the lessons learned, adjustments to procedures made and we all move on. Absolutely no reason to create one more government agency and all of the bureaucracy that entails just for airport screening.

The act of creating TSA was an act of hysteria.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Which is? Without a locked box, a gun will on its own walk out of the bag and start attacking people?
No, it still takes a person. The locked box is just an illusion to make people think the weapon is safe, kinda like TSA.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:22 am

I think it's important that we all try to avoid being foolishly pedantic.

There is no such thing as 100%-successful theft prevention. The goal is, regardless of what you are trying to protect, to make casual theft difficult. Thus the requirement to put a firearm into a (theoretically) less-accessible hard-sided case or luggage, and then make sure there are no external markings, tags, or other identifiers.

The hard-sided case can be any "hard" material - metal, wood, plastic, carbon fiber, the typical ABS-shell suitcase, etc.

If the goal were, as GUWonder speciously claimed, to somehow protect the public from a dangerous instrumentality, why would any old hard-side case or luggage be acceptable? Wouldn't the requirement be a heavy-gauge steel container with some sort of fire/bulletproof lining?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.