Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by dhuey
I saw the REAL ID notice at LAX a couple of weeks ago. I mistakenly thought it would kick in starting Jan. 2017. I see now that it's Jan. 2018. I was wondering why there wasn't more discussion about this.

As a practical matter, could TSA really follow through with this and still keep airports in the affected states functioning?
I think they'll bring a few key airports in non-compliant states to their knees for a few days or weeks until Congress steps in and does something - either another extension or money for TSA to allegedly hire more manpower to manually grope and swab and interrogate pax who don't have 'compliant' ID.

Don't forget, last spring they staged a clearly orchestrated unofficial work slowdown that had some pax waiting in three-hour long lines. Neffy had to fly to ORD and personally witness it before he acknowledged it was happening. Congress gave TSA some money, the airlines and some airports hired additional people to help move things along (SEA hired 90 people), and suddenly the lines started moving again.

A less-noted aspect of RealID: you won't be able to enter federal many federal buildings without it.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 19, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by chollie
I think they'll bring a few key airports in non-compliant states to their knees for a few days or weeks until Congress steps in and does something - either another extension or money for TSA to allegedly hire more manpower to manually grope and swab and interrogate pax who don't have 'compliant' ID.
Our daughter forgot to bring her ID on a flight last year shortly after she turned 18. It took about 40 minutes from start to finish for her to go through the no-ID procedure. I can't imagine what affected airports would look like if say 20% of passengers showed up with a non-compliant ID.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our daughter forgot to bring her ID on a flight last year shortly after she turned 18. It took about 40 minutes from start to finish for her to go through the no-ID procedure. I can't imagine what affected airports would look like if say 20% of passengers showed up with a non-compliant ID.
Exactly what needs to happen. Put this ID bs to rest once and for all, real or not.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've always wondered what would happen if say a French national lost their passport. Had to fly to say Washington DC to get a replacement passport. How would they be able to fly given no credit reference agency (I'm gathering thats what they use) is going to hold any record of them?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:13 pm

As a practical matter, could TSA really follow through with this and still keep airports in the affected states functioning?
That's assuming that TSA cares about the efficient operation of airports. TSA would simply resort to its usual list of responses. "We're just following the law." "Affected passengers have known for years about this change." "Passengers should be prepared for delays at the checkpoint." "These are not the droids you're looking for." And so on.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
NYS issues DLs which are Real ID compliant but does NOT require that one obtain one. Per NYSDMV website they note that this "status quo" will be OK through 2020.
My (non Real ID Compliant) NYSDL has only my first and middle name's initials
, so TSA on occasion has asked to see some item with my full first name--a credit card was always OK. But it is easier for me (now) to use my GE card!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chollie

Don't forget, last spring they staged a clearly orchestrated unofficial work slowdown that had some pax waiting in three-hour long lines. Neffy had to fly to ORD and personally witness it before he acknowledged it was happening. Congress gave TSA some money, the airlines and some airports hired additional people to help move things along (SEA hired 90 people), and suddenly the lines started moving again.

A less-noted aspect of RealID: you won't be able to enter federal many federal buildings without it.
Do you recall the date (or even the month) when he flew to ORD for that?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do you recall the date (or even the month) when he flew to ORD for that?
On or about May 20, 2016
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
That's assuming that TSA cares about the efficient operation of airports. TSA would simply resort to its usual list of responses. "We're just following the law." "Affected passengers have known for years about this change." "Passengers should be prepared for delays at the checkpoint." "These are not the droids you're looking for." And so on.
I'm not making assumptions about what TSA cares about, big picture. That's moving into a political area. I simply wonder if, as a practical matter, it would even be feasible in any practical way, to start rejecting driver's licenses as IDs in airports. My sense is that it would be chaos at all airports in affected states, and big problems nationwide as residents of the affected states try to go through security with their non-compliant IDs. TSA could issue all of the public service messages they want, but there would still be a significant number of passengers who don't get or appreciate the message. Even if 5% of the passengers show up with non-compliant IDs, the raw numbers would be overwhelming.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm not making assumptions about what TSA cares about, big picture. That's moving into a political area. I simply wonder if, as a practical matter, it would even be feasible in any practical way, to start rejecting driver's licenses as IDs in airports. My sense is that it would be chaos at all airports in affected states, and big problems nationwide as residents of the affected states try to go through security with their non-compliant IDs. TSA could issue all of the public service messages they want, but there would still be a significant number of passengers who don't get or appreciate the message. Even if 5% of the passengers show up with non-compliant IDs, the raw numbers would be overwhelming.
To be fair wouldn't this be like any travel document change. Like changes in requirements to cross the US Canada Mexico border or removing the ability for children to travel on their parents passports.

Yes people won't be able to travel and it will affect people for a few weeks or months but after that it won't be much of an issue and if there is enough publicity it's not really TSAs problem.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

In a practical sense, anyone without acceptable ID would be subject to alternative screening. TSA could make the alternative screening as difficult or easy as they want.

For example, if the lines are too long, they could let some people through with a non-compliant ID and a few extra questions instead of the lengthy questioning that they do now. In this way, they could make sure that the airport continues to function, but there is enough frustration and anger to compel states to come into compliance with REAL ID (or compel Congress to step in and address the situation).

My guess is that it wouldn't be as bad as we think. Many people already have passports, military ID, etc., and of course airports don't just serve locals so some people will be from compliant states. If the number of people needing to be checked through alternative means is significant (say 5% as you suggest) then they will probably come up with a streamlined method to handle them. Perhaps step aside to a "secondary" TDC who can quickly pull up your credit report and ask the necessary questions?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
To be fair wouldn't this be like any travel document change. Like changes in requirements to cross the US Canada Mexico border or removing the ability for children to travel on their parents passports.

Yes people won't be able to travel and it will affect people for a few weeks or months but after that it won't be much of an issue and if there is enough publicity it's not really TSAs problem.
Yes, I would imagine that it would eventually calm down at the affected airports. Still, I'm guessing that there would be at least a couple of tumultuous weeks.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Because TSA is not charged with being efficient. TSA is charged with securing commercial airline travel.

TSA can accomplish its "mission" by simply denying everyone access to the secure area. Voila, problem solved. If no passengers can get on a plane, then no passengers can cause mischief on a plane.

Okay, that's the obvious ridiculous strawman. But if this oft-threatened RealID policy actually happens, and screening takes longer as a result, leading to fewer passengers making it through checkpoints in a timely fashion, TSA won't care. Efficiency and throughput aren't metrics TSA uses to evaluate its performance.

Because if they were, then we'd actually have a meaningful public discussion about security versus freedom.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Because TSA is not charged with being efficient. TSA is charged with securing commercial airline travel.

TSA can accomplish its "mission" by simply denying everyone access to the secure area. Voila, problem solved. If no passengers can get on a plane, then no passengers can cause mischief on a plane.

Okay, that's the obvious ridiculous strawman. But if this oft-threatened RealID policy actually happens, and screening takes longer as a result, leading to fewer passengers making it through checkpoints in a timely fashion, TSA won't care. Efficiency and throughput aren't metrics TSA uses to evaluate its performance.

Because if they were, then we'd actually have a meaningful public discussion about security versus freedom.
The airlines might care and all of them working together might have the clout to address the problem.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The airlines might care and all of them working together might have the clout to address the problem.
With respect ... what evidence do we have that they care about this issue? They haven't cared enough to lobby TSA about the current state of screening.

As others have pointed out here frequently, it's in the best interest of the airlines for the government to perform screening duties; that way, the airlines get all of the benefits of screening without any of the costs or risks or liabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.