Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2019/11/08/still-dont-have-a-real-id-you-may-soon-be-able-to-apply-online/

DHS in their RFP:
“We are also interested in concepts that identify the extent to which the additional capabilities or technologies will increase the adoption rate of individuals obtaining REAL ID-compliant identification.”

This RFP seems to indicate that alarm bells have gone off about low adoption rate. Pre-check all over again it seems...
GUWonder and petaluma1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfunk138
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2019/11/08/still-dont-have-a-real-id-you-may-soon-be-able-to-apply-online/

DHS in their RFP:
“We are also interested in concepts that identify the extent to which the additional capabilities or technologies will increase the adoption rate of individuals obtaining REAL ID-compliant identification.”

This RFP seems to indicate that alarm bells have gone off about low adoption rate. Pre-check all over again it seems...
I was able to sign up for Social Security without stepping foot in an office. Was all done by phone. If government can identify me well enough to send me money every month without a bunch of rigmarole then why is it so darn difficult to get an ID?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Pool for when/if DHS/TSA blinks?
Odds (based upon previous versions of this scenario) seem to indicate that would be a fools errand, unless you are simply looking for the actual date...
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Odds (based upon previous versions of this scenario) seem to indicate that would be a fools errand, unless you are simply looking for the actual date...
Really? Going by history DHS/TSA is guaranteed to blink once again. I don't think there's a choice not to blink, at this time, unless the goal is to undermine TSA's reputation even more.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: TSA
Really? Going by history DHS/TSA is guaranteed to blink once again. I don't think there's a choice not to blink, at this time, unless the goal is to undermine TSA's reputation even more.
I was pointing out that based upon history, betting against it would be a bad idea, while setting up a timeline betting pool would be a pretty good moneymaker.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Couldn't agree more. I'm in I'll. Been married for decades, first and only marriage. passport and DL and voter registration all have the same name..first maiden married. They have been renewed many times . Passport last about 5 years ago I never changed my SSN name and for about 30 years it didn't matter since there is no attempt to defraud and no one can really define what is a legal name. I have no problem with credit and my name. Then the government match process started and now pay info tax returns medical info are in maiden name. So all my w2 and pay stubs are first middle maiden. Has not caused any problems.i have an official copy of my marriage certificate but it doesn't prove anything either since there is nothing to indicate if you change your name. I do have a global entry card which I might use.
Yeah, when my wife was naturalized they stuck a hyphen in her name that didn't belong and which went unnoticed for decades. (While her name appeared to be First, Middle, Last it was more like First, First, Last in actual usage. She converted her maiden name to a middle name and took mine as a last name. Her naturalization certificate had First Middle Maiden-MyName.) The social security website could never find her but humans there always could, we saw no other signs of the problem until she applied for social security. Everything else has the four words without the hyphen but they were obstinate about it, even a US passport wasn't enough to convince them to change their records. We finally had to resort to a legal name change and even then they fought fixing it!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, when my wife was naturalized they stuck a hyphen in her name that didn't belong and which went unnoticed for decades.
I've told this story before of what I witnessed at a DMV office in my state when the "bring every single document you possess to prove who you are" nonsense started. I was standing in line behind an older gentleman who spoke with an accent. He had all the necessary documents BUT his birth certificate did not match his Social Security card. The BC was apparently "John Doe" but the SS card was "John Joseph Doe." Why the difference? His SS card had his confirmation name on it. DMV told him he had to get a copy of his confirmation documents to prove that he added "Joseph" to his name. He couldn't do that because he had been confirmed in Italy and he had no documentation to prove the confirmation. The DMV clerk said he HAD to have the information before he could renew his license. He said to her that he didn't even know where the church was that he was confirmed in and her response to him was something to the effect of "no certificate, no license." He turned and left the office with tears in his eyes. I often wonder if he solved his problem and was able to get a license.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
When I went to get my Real ID compliant NY Driver's license they refused to accept my NYC city government issued identification card with my address printed on it as proof of address. Instead they took a home-printed copy of my internet bill which could have been easily altered or even outright forged by anyone with a child's basic level of computer skills. I feel so safe.
Spiff, GUWonder, jfunk138 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In The Washington Post:
DHS weighs online applications for Real ID as 2020 deadline looms

With an October 2020 deadline looming, the Department of Homeland Security is requesting proposals for ideas that could allow states to accept online applications for the federally mandated Real ID, a change that would potentially end the requirement for an in-person visit, which critics say is outdated and unnecessary.

Allowing online applications would help expedite services at state departments of motor vehicles that are experiencing long lines and wait times as they scramble to issue millions of new driver’s licenses and ID cards that conform with the sweeping federal law that tightens security requirements for state-issued identification.

A DHS spokesman said the agency “intends to proceed as quickly as possible to implement any viable proposals for streamlining the REAL ID issuance process.”

“The Department is interested in ideas and technologies that could allow applicants to submit their required documents electronically to the DMV in addition to, or possibly in lieu of, applying in person,” the spokesman said.

The U.S. Travel Association and other industry groups have been urging DHS to modernize the application process to make it easier for states and residents. Without upgrades, the groups say, tens of thousands of people could be unprepared to board a flight come October, and even more next Thanksgiving. More inexperienced travelers tend to fly during the holidays.

Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
If adopted how long would it take to push down to all states and territories? Won't happen in time for the 10/2020 deadline.
84fiero likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:50 am

If adopted how long would it take to push down to all states and territories? Won't happen in time for the 10/2020 deadline.
The RFI was submitted by DHS on November 7th and they think there's going to be a solution by next Thanskgiving? Ha!

I am lovin' this.
84fiero and FLTripper like this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:03 am

Here are some comments from regular Joes/Janes on the REAL ID process:

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0056-0017

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0056-0022

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0056-0015

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0056-0008

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0056-0004

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0056-0018

Some of the comments reflect the discussions that has been on-going on this website for years.
84fiero and FLTripper like this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Agreed. Plus you have the (I think larger) issue of lack of awareness among the general public, most of whom don't fly that often and aren't thinking of these types of things. Though it would of course be nice to be able to renew online.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Agreed. Plus you have the (I think larger) issue of lack of awareness among the general public, most of whom don't fly that often and aren't thinking of these types of things. Though it would of course be nice to be able to renew online.
Even if a Real ID online process is created each and every state will have to come up with local procedures, software programming with systems to match and so forth. I'd say this is a 5 to 10 year project once standards are adopted.

Still open to a DHS Blink Date pool. The grand prize is the right to gloat for one whole day.

I choose July 4, 2020.
84fiero and petaluma1 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:57 am

Even if a Real ID online process is created each and every state will have to come up with local procedures, software programming with systems to match and so forth. I'd say this is a 5 to 10 year project once standards are adopted.

Still open to a DHS Blink Date pool. The grand prize is the right to gloat for one whole day.

I choose July 4, 2020.
How about October 4, 2020 - after they finally realize what a mess they have on their hands.
84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.