Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
One wonders if anyone at DHS is sounding the alarm at what a disaster this is going to be. FLTripper's situation is NOT unique, unfortunately.

DHS is driving the Real ID Deadline Clown Bus. Why would they sound an alarm?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
DHS is driving the Real ID Deadline Clown Bus. Why would they sound an alarm?
Oh, yes, they are driving the bus but no one is looking out for obstacles ahead.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FLTripper
I'm in FL. Because my current DL is not Real ID compliant (not available when I last renewed, strike 1) AND I renewed online (strike 2), I have to go into a branch to get it. I have to bring in all my documentation to show I went from FLZipper to FLRapper to FLZipper to FLTripper. I've been FLTripper for 20 years now, this past August.

Because I had that pesky rotton 1st marriage, (when I was 19, and changed my name for a very brief period of time; less than 18 months), I have to bring in all sorts of things to prove I'm me. I am annoyed that I have to get copies of things I was sure I'd never need again...because, hey, over 20+ years ago, I showed all the darn paperwork. I'm annoyed I have to prove that I'm me, the same me I've been for the last 20 years.

And I'm annoyed that getting that documentation is ridiculously hard to reacquire, because the county my youthful discretion and repair job happened to be in, are difficult to get these documents from 20+ years ago. I have to have an exact date of marriage (ok not a problem) and an exact date of divorce (I know the month and year, but the day eludes me, and there is no way for me to search their records online because they don't have them; they archived all the older records); AND you have to have a file number or exact search number for the documents; AND there's no guarantee that the documents I get from them will be the ones the DMV will accept. After all, they didn't accept my husband's replacement birth certificate, that he drove 3 hours to the county where he was born to pick up a copy; it doesn't matter that is what the county he was born in issues; the FL DMV says it wasn't the right one, so he didn't get his Real ID when he went in a few weeks ago.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles WHAT TO BRING U.S. Citizen web page:
If a valid U.S. passport has the customer’s current name, they are not required to present additional name change documents.
However, the Social Security Number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license. Applicants who have recently changed their name should update their records with the Social Security Administration before applying for a driver license.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jfunk138
The most likely scenario is that they have already baked in another delay internally.

In a less likely but still possible scenario, the official response will continue to be "You must have Real ID to fly!", meanwhile at the document checker you will get something along the lines of "We'll do you a favor and let you through this one time, but please try to get a Real ID before next time and give us a 5-star review for being so nice and letting you through" Over time the language at the document checker will become increasingly threatening and will eventually involve punishment screenings, etc. The media will eventually pick up on the plight of the recipients of "punishment screenings". Whether the punishment screenings story gets legs will depend on who the groups end up being that are receiving these punishment screenings.
Considering that 2020 is election year, last thing that anyone would want is travel mess right before holiday season starts. I am thinking they will issue 6 months delay and each time someone goes through without real id, they will remind them that they have x amount of time to get it or they will not able to fly. There is just no way that they will paralyze half the country by refusing to let people fly without having real id.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by looker001
Considering that 2020 is election year, last thing that anyone would want is travel mess right before holiday season starts. I am thinking they will issue 6 months delay and each time someone goes through without real id, they will remind them that they have x amount of time to get it or they will not able to fly. There is just no way that they will paralyze half the country by refusing to let people fly without having real id.
I'd be happy to see DHS/TSA turning away potential travelers for not having "Real" or other acceptable ID. I think the claim that TSA continues to put out that those people without ID will be turned away needs to be tested.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 12.2:
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person.
Discuss the issues, NOT other members!

Posts have been deleted.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I'm in FL. Because my current DL is not Real ID compliant (not available when I last renewed, strike 1) AND I renewed online (strike 2), I have to go into a branch to get it. I have to bring in all my documentation to show I went from FLZipper to FLRapper to FLZipper to FLTripper. I've been FLTripper for 20 years now, this past August.

Because I had that pesky rotton 1st marriage, (when I was 19, and changed my name for a very brief period of time; less than 18 months), I have to bring in all sorts of things to prove I'm me. I am annoyed that I have to get copies of things I was sure I'd never need again...because, hey, over 20+ years ago, I showed all the darn paperwork. I'm annoyed I have to prove that I'm me, the same me I've been for the last 20 years.

And I'm annoyed that getting that documentation is ridiculously hard to reacquire, because the county my youthful discretion and repair job happened to be in, are difficult to get these documents from 20+ years ago. I have to have an exact date of marriage (ok not a problem) and an exact date of divorce (I know the month and year, but the day eludes me, and there is no way for me to search their records online because they don't have them; they archived all the older records); AND you have to have a file number or exact search number for the documents; AND there's no guarantee that the documents I get from them will be the ones the DMV will accept. After all, they didn't accept my husband's replacement birth certificate, that he drove 3 hours to the county where he was born to pick up a copy; it doesn't matter that is what the county he was born in issues; the FL DMV says it wasn't the right one, so he didn't get his Real ID when he went in a few weeks ago.
There is an idea that has been presented a few times in this thread which proposes: 'Real ID is easy to get'. The basis for this idea is a personal experience of: walked in to the DMV, waited 5 minutes, showed some papers that were easily obtained, and received a Real ID in the mailbox 5 days later

This idea is similar to the idea which is widespread outside of this particular forum: "I've never had a bad experience with the TSA, therefore those having bad experiences with the TSA are lying, bringing it on themselves, or otherwise"

FLTripper's experience refutes the idea that Real ID is easy to get. For some people, Real ID is very difficult to get. We should not make the mistake of assuming our personal experience reflects everyone.
chollie and FLTripper like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
There is an idea that has been presented a few times in this thread which proposes: 'Real ID is easy to get'. The basis for this idea is a personal experience of: walked in to the DMV, waited 5 minutes, showed some papers that were easily obtained, and received a Real ID in the mailbox 5 days later

This idea is similar to the idea which is widespread outside of this particular forum: "I've never had a bad experience with the TSA, therefore those having bad experiences with the TSA are lying, bringing it on themselves, or otherwise"

FLTripper's experience refutes the idea that Real ID is easy to get. For some people, Real ID is very difficult to get. We should not make the mistake of assuming our personal experience reflects everyone.
Agreed.

I, too, had a fairly painless experience getting my RealID compliant license in Maryland (except for a very long wait due to a large crowd), but I am not naive enough to believe that everyone's experience mirrors my own.
Boggie Dog and FLTripper like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:57 pm

If you had change of last name, lost of documents etc you will have very hard time getting real id as in many states DMV is very picky. While there is a list of documents that DMV must accept, the fact is DMV can still make a decision if they are going to accept that particular document.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
One of the issues is that many states are offering both Real ID and non-Real ID licenses, and at renewal, a lot of people are defaulting to non-Real so they can renew on-line. NO ONE EVER WANTS TO GO TO A DMV. I'm confident in that statement, they are to be avoided, even the good ones.

I"m also very much against Real ID, but if states are going to do it, they need to do it 100%. Make it the default, and make sure that is clearly worded to all customers on-line. DHS should be mandated to foot the bill for all driver's license renewals that need to be done early so as to make the DHS deadline. As I wrote above, that's the most massive hole in this plan. Getting a Real ID at renewal - or for the first driver's license - is one thing. Expecting everyone to junk a valid license a few months to many years before needing to renew is another.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
That's included with the divorce decree. So, yeah....fun times.

IMO, It's about making women and others who have changed their name, for whatever reason, have to do extra to be 'legal'...but that has nothing to do with flying or TSA and everything to do with the state of this country, so I'll not get into it here.

Couldn't agree more. I'm in I'll. Been married for decades, first and only marriage. passport and DL and voter registration all have the same name..first maiden married. They have been renewed many times . Passport last about 5 years ago I never changed my SSN name and for about 30 years it didn't matter since there is no attempt to defraud and no one can really define what is a legal name. I have no problem with credit and my name. Then the government match process started and now pay info tax returns medical info are in maiden name. So all my w2 and pay stubs are first middle maiden. Has not caused any problems.i have an official copy of my marriage certificate but it doesn't prove anything either since there is nothing to indicate if you change your name. I do have a global entry card which I might use.
FLTripper likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Agreed.

I, too, had a fairly painless experience getting my RealID compliant license in Maryland (except for a very long wait due to a large crowd), but I am not naive enough to believe that everyone's experience mirrors my own.
Yep. Besides the obvious variation in staffing, efficiency, etc. at state DMVs, you've also got the differences in what state law required for a driver's license prior to Real ID. I had to dig up all manner of paperwork when I moved to Massachusetts long before Real ID was even in someone's imagination--and I was born in a hospital in the US in a county that lets you order birth certificate copies online. It was a pain in the you-know-what; I don't even want to think about people who were born at home in the 1930s in a developing country. Proof of residence is a tricky one too--I've lived in plenty of places where I was paying rent to a landlord and wouldn't have had enough proof for The Man; how's that affect the guy who's living 'off the books' with relatives while he's unemployed? In states that have always had particularly onerous requirements, most drivers have already jumped through those hoops.

Meanwhile in Arizona, my old license and passport were all MVD needed (this remains the case today for 'regular' licenses). With decades left on my license, Real ID is not coming for me anytime soon. I'll just show my USG employee ID that includes neither my middle name nor my DOB and for which I had to show zero documents proving my residence address.

As an aside, the states that are forcing Real ID (vs. allowing drivers to choose whether to comply) are making it really difficult for Americans living abroad--many of these people are still paying taxes to their former home states but can't renew their driver's licenses.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Nov 20, 2019 at 4:58 am
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:10 am

I'll just show my USG employee ID that includes neither my middle name nor my DOB and for which I had to show zero documents proving my residence address.

As an aside, the states that are forcing Real ID (vs. allowing drivers to choose whether to comply) are making it really difficult for Americans living abroad--many of these people are still paying taxes to their former home states but can't renew their driver's licenses.
There are people who lives in places that don't get mail delivered to their homes but must use a PO Box in order to get mail. There are several towns in my area that won't deliver mail to the home as well as Native Americans (who have had issues registering to vote due to lack of a "residence address) and others who simply live out in the back of beyond that don't get mail deliveries. I wonder if, in this situation, one could order packages from two mail order services, UPS* and FedEx, and use the label on those packages as proof of address? Nah, that's too simple a solution for a DMV to accept. *We once came upon a UPS truck on a delivery run along a 15-mile long dirt road leading to a single property.

I assume ex-pats gets DL's from the country in which they reside and simply use a passport when they travel back to the states.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
There are people who lives in places that don't get mail delivered to their homes but must use a PO Box in order to get mail. There are several towns in my area that won't deliver mail to the home as well as Native Americans (who have had issues registering to vote due to lack of a "residence address) and others who simply live out in the back of beyond that don't get mail deliveries. I wonder if, in this situation, one could order packages from two mail order services, UPS* and FedEx, and use the label on those packages as proof of address? Nah, that's too simple a solution for a DMV to accept. *We once came upon a UPS truck on a delivery run along a 15-mile long dirt road leading to a single property.

I assume ex-pats gets DL's from the country in which they reside and simply use a passport when they travel back to the states.
People without mail delivery have it bad too... at least in most cases utility bills list the property address, but for people whose landlords, roommates, etc. pay the bill that doesn't help much.

As for Americans living abroad, depending on where, why, and how long you live there, you may not be eligible for and/or may not need a local license. If you also can't renew your US license, now you can't drive.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Nov 20, 2019 at 8:14 am
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pool for when/if DHS/TSA blinks?
84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.