Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König
I was replying to another post in this thread that referenced right-wing media.

You need to clarify if you're asking in connection to being able to fly or just having RealID licenses in general.

Thought the question was straight forward; how many people are not projected to have Real ID by the next DHS deadline?

Follow on questions about TSA and the impact of Real ID on travel are legitimate and will be answered starting in October 2020 unless DHS blinks. I don't think I'd plan any air travel right around that time unless something changes before then.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I guess it's difficult to predict, but among my group of friends and colleagues, having Real ID seems to be the exception, not the norm. I know the deadline is still a year away, but I think it's safe to say that a substantial number of people who are not illegal aliens will have ID with the "federal limits apply" notation when the deadline arrives.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thought the question was straight forward; how many people are not projected to have Real ID by the next DHS deadline?

Follow on questions about TSA and the impact of Real ID on travel are legitimate and will be answered starting in October 2020 unless DHS blinks. I don't think I'd plan any air travel right around that time unless something changes before then.
Once again, California is specifically requesting that those who have standard DL's or passports expiring beyond 2022 not to apply yet. That has to be hundreds of thousands - if not a couple of million - US citizens resident in California who won't have Real ID.
This got brought up because a guy who incorrectly identified "Federal Limits Apply" as California's Illegal Alien License was complaining he's in a job where he often needs to check ID and that his employer wasn't interested when he brought up the fact that he was seeing a lot of "illegals" (based on his misinformed ideas about their license). I corrected him but gazillions of people, no doubt including TSO's, from the Fever Swamp are similarly misinformed. I'm not, and don't look, Asian or Hispanic and I'll just carry my passport and Trusted Traveler ID when I fly. Everyone else sees my DL. They can kick back that they don't think I'm a citizen if they want. It'll be an entertaining discussion.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
Once again, California is specifically requesting that those who have standard DL's or passports expiring beyond 2022 not to apply yet. That has to be hundreds of thousands - if not a couple of million - US citizens resident in California who won't have Real ID.
This got brought up because a guy who incorrectly identified "Federal Limits Apply" as California's Illegal Alien License was complaining he's in a job where he often needs to check ID and that his employer wasn't interested when he brought up the fact that he was seeing a lot of "illegals" (based on his misinformed ideas about their license). I corrected him but gazillions of people, no doubt including TSO's, from the Fever Swamp are similarly misinformed. I'm not, and don't look, Asian or Hispanic and I'll just carry my passport and Trusted Traveler ID when I fly. Everyone else sees my DL. They can kick back that they don't think I'm a citizen if they want. It'll be an entertaining discussion.
It's more than just what California is doing. I know my state has started issuing Real ID but doubt that many will be out by 10/2020. TSA is saying either have Real ID or other acceptable forms of ID by the deadline or people will not be permitted through security. I don't think DHS/TSA wants to open that door but kinda hope they do. I'll pop the popcorn and watch the show.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:20 pm

I'll pop the popcorn and watch the show.
I have a feeling that you will be disappointed. Akin to the millimiter wave scanners that many people (including on this forum) mounted a holy war against. They are here to stay, and I feel that RealID will go down the same road.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I have a feeling that you will be disappointed. Akin to the millimiter wave scanners that many people (including on this forum) mounted a holy war against. They are here to stay, and I feel that RealID will go down the same road.
Agreed, with a bit of a twist.

I am betting on a 120-day extension to after the election. Meaningless, because if you don't have an ID by 10/20, you probably won't have one by 2/21, but avoids the bad stories at a time that matters.

There will be an avalanche of passport applications.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make no mistake, I think DHS will have to set a final deadline for Real ID, it is a law. The questions to me are if DHS will hold fast with this latest deadline and what will happen at the nations TSA checkpoints on whatever day the end date is.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once I get used to carrying my passport for domestic travel, I'll probably never bother with a Real ID.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Make no mistake, I think DHS will have to set a final deadline for Real ID, it is a law. The questions to me are if DHS will hold fast with this latest deadline and what will happen at the nations TSA checkpoints on whatever day the end date is.
That is correct! It is a law! Deadline is on October 1, 2020. If you have a star on your new travel driver license or identification card. The standards ID is no longer existing. You must go to motor vehicle division. You must fill it up and you take a pictures. You wait for your turn. You pay $25 fees for 8 years. They will mailing to you in 10 days and that's final!
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
TSA did make some concessions to public outcry by implementing perv boxes instead of publicly-viewable monitors; then eliminating the perv boxes in favor of ATR software; and eliminating the dangerous backscatter x-ray machines. They have also pushed back the RealID deadline multiple times to accommodate the states which weren't compliant. I don't know how likely it is that the deadline will be pushed back again in 2020, but it's not impossible if a couple of states are not yet fully compliant.

Originally Posted by rickg523
Once I get used to carrying my passport for domestic travel, I'll probably never bother with a Real ID.
You may not have that choice forever. Once all 50 states and the various territories fully implement RealID, they will, I'm sure, eventually eliminate the option to get a non-compliant ID. You may buy an extra few years, but eventually I think you'll have no choice but to bring your papers to your DMV to renew your license or non-driver's ID, anywhere in the US.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
TSA did make some concessions to public outcry by implementing perv boxes instead of publicly-viewable monitors; then eliminating the perv boxes in favor of ATR software; and eliminating the dangerous backscatter x-ray machines. They have also pushed back the RealID deadline multiple times to accommodate the states which weren't compliant. I don't know how likely it is that the deadline will be pushed back again in 2020, but it's not impossible if a couple of states are not yet fully compliant.

You may not have that choice forever. Once all 50 states and the various territories fully implement RealID, they will, I'm sure, eventually eliminate the option to get a non-compliant ID. You may buy an extra few years, but eventually I think you'll have no choice but to bring your papers to your DMV to renew your license or non-driver's ID, anywhere in the US.
Well I just renewed last year (December birthday), so I've got until the end of 2023 to get an appointment.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:23 am

I plan to buy cheap airline ticket on the day we need to have real id and try to fly with my non real id driver license and see how that goes. If i get denied, i will demand supervisor etc. Considering how many people do not have /will not have real id by the deadline i am not seeing it being enforced and instead there will be another extension.Edit i should mention that i normally do not fly with physical credit cards and now just travel with samsung pay. So using my credit card as secondary id will not work. This going to be fun as i am sure there will be media covering it in all major airports.
petaluma1 and rickg523 like this.

Last edited by looker001; Nov 11, 2019 at 1:53 am
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by looker001
I plan to buy cheap airline ticket on the day we need to have real id and try to fly with my non real id driver license and see how that goes. If i get denied, i will demand supervisor etc. Considering how many people do not have /will not have real id by the deadline i am not seeing it being enforced and instead there will be another extension.Edit i should mention that i normally do not fly with physical credit cards and now just travel with samsung pay. So using my credit card as secondary id will not work. This going to be fun as i am sure there will be media covering it in all major airports.
Eagerly await that trip report
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Meh.

Suspect you overrate how much the average TV viewer cares about this issue.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Meh.

If few people have this issue i would agree with you, however that will not be the case considering around 40% of all population do not have real ID now, and i suspect many will not have any approved identification by the time of October 2020. Can you imagine million of people getting stuck around the country unable to fly because TSA says you need to have real id to get on the plane? It will be all over the news and with elections right around the country i am not seeing that happening. I can almost guarantee that federal government will blink and give another 6-12 month extension. After which they will probably give another 3 months extension etc. Until number of population not having real id is down to few % in terms of those that fly, real id will not become mandatory in all states.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Meh.

They won't care one wit until they try making a trip to visit a dying relative or some other immediate event and TSA says they can't be cleared past security because they don't have a star on their drivers license. Then they will care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.