TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Old Oct 8, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by awone123 View Post
Why should I use my passport domestically???? Its something to worry about losing while traveling
I use mine domestically, helps me keep track if it, and if we need to go international for an emergency we are ready to go,

We have seen the need for emergency trips.
Old Oct 8, 19, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
I use mine domestically, helps me keep track if it, and if we need to go international for an emergency we are ready to go,

We have seen the need for emergency trips.
Same here, but most people in the US don’t have potential international emergency trip needs that involve cross-border travel. Unless the person has close relatives/friends/themselves abroad or has unexpected international business/professional/employment/personal commitments requiring sudden in-person visit needs, most others wouldn’t be in such a situation. And even for those who are in such a situation to potentially need their passport for emergency international trips, there are times when it’s either not possible or otherwise practical for such persons to have the passport with them. Also, many domestic US air travelers probably still don’t have a passport and would find it to be an extra hassle or cost to get a passport/passport card. And so the suggestion to get a passport is really but another suggestion to pony up the time and money to get a “REAL ID”, as a passport constitutes a REAL ID” .... all while many DLs aren’t considered “REAL ID” by DHS/TSA.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Even the SS office is tighting up on issuing replacement cards,

We have an identity problem in this country,

I suspect one day we all will be chipped, or carry the mark of the beast as described in the bible
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:28 am

TSA posted yet another REAL ID is coming in October thread this morning.

Click on the link in the thread and this is what one finds:

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fi..._factsheet.pdf
jfunk138 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is “page not found” what others are seeing? some years ago was a court case which determined ID was not required to fly. Has that decision been set aside? Sorry, don’t recall the case name.
Old Nov 4, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Is “page not found” what others are seeing? some years ago was a court case which determined ID was not required to fly. Has that decision been set aside? Sorry, don’t recall the case name.
TSA website still shows the “procedure” to verify yourself if you have none of the listed approved forms of ID. And yes, all I get is “page not found”.
Old Nov 4, 19, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
TSA website still shows the “procedure” to verify yourself if you have none of the listed approved forms of ID. And yes, all I get is “page not found”.
Another example of how TSA can't get things right, even when tweeting about something they apparently deem crucial information.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Yeah, I'm getting Page Not Found as well.

No, the court's decision has not been set aside, but TSA is sort of skirting the issue.

Essentially, there is a process for verifying the identity of those who wish to fly without ID.

However, if you HAVE a state-issued ID, but it's not RealID compliant, then you will be put through the same identity verification procedure as those who have no ID at all. You'll still be allowed to fly, but you'll be put through enough hoops to make the experience tedious and unpleasant, and possibly miss your flight.

It's a form of extortion, IMHO. By penalizing those who live in states without RealID compliant state-issued IDs, DHS (through TSA) is applying pressure to all states and territories to fully implement the RealID standard, because if TSA stops accepting non-compliant state-issued IDs, then anyone who hails from one of those states or territories which is non-compliant will be forced to go through the identity verification process, which could cause massive delays in all of the airports in those non-compliant states. The traveling public will raise a protest, and the state gubments will be inundated with complaints from their citizens to fully adopt the RealID standards.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Yeah, I'm getting Page Not Found as well.

No, the court's decision has not been set aside, but TSA is sort of skirting the issue.

Essentially, there is a process for verifying the identity of those who wish to fly without ID.

However, if you HAVE a state-issued ID, but it's not RealID compliant, then you will be put through the same identity verification procedure as those who have no ID at all. You'll still be allowed to fly, but you'll be put through enough hoops to make the experience tedious and unpleasant, and possibly miss your flight.

It's a form of extortion, IMHO. By penalizing those who live in states without RealID compliant state-issued IDs, DHS (through TSA) is applying pressure to all states and territories to fully implement the RealID standard, because if TSA stops accepting non-compliant state-issued IDs, then anyone who hails from one of those states or territories which is non-compliant will be forced to go through the identity verification process, which could cause massive delays in all of the airports in those non-compliant states. The traveling public will raise a protest, and the state gubments will be inundated with complaints from their citizens to fully adopt the RealID standards.
Then TSA is being deliberately dishonest. Quoting TSA:

Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age & older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of ID or you will be turned away. To see a list of other acceptable IDs, pls visit: http://bit.ly/2CZmzPF #Check4theStar
"WILL BE TURNED AWAY" is strong language and cannot be interpreted to mean anything else. According to TSA either have "Real ID" or other acceptable ID or the individual will be turned away at the check point. If other means of establishing identity are available then this message is not only dishonest but unethical! Wish some citizen advocacy organization would challenge TSA on this point.

jfunk138 and 84fiero like this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
By penalizing those who live in states without RealID compliant state-issued IDs, DHS (through TSA) is applying pressure to all states and territories to fully implement the RealID standard, because if TSA stops accepting non-compliant state-issued IDs, then anyone who hails from one of those states or territories which is non-compliant will be forced to go through the identity verification process...
For me, acquiring an Arizona RealID compliant license will probably require a court order. The state requires two “proofs of residence” which can include utility bills, bank statements, or other official correspondence sent to one’s physical address. However, I live at a physical address that the USPS does not deliver to and all of that sort of correspondence is sent to our PO box. And not even the utility bill indicates the “physical” address. I’ve determined that it’s just a whole lot easier to use my U.S. passport / Global Entry card even for domestic travel. Most Navajo people are in a similar situation vis a vis the physical address situation, but enrolled members of the tribe can get a tribal ID that’s valid for TSA purposes (and even land crossings from Mexico).
Old Nov 4, 19, 2:36 pm

From the California DMV Real ID site, if you have a passport and standard Drivers License (not Real ID) expiring in 2022 or beyond and wish to apply for Real ID now:
We admire your enthusiasm! However, we expect demand for REAL ID to be very high in the next two years, and we are asking those whose REAL ID needs are not urgent to please wait so that we may serve urgent needs first. We appreciate your understanding, cooperation, and patience.
This is why I reapplied for my DL online and got the standard license, which says "Federal Limits Apply."
Btw, I recently found out (on another thread on FT), that right wing media outlets have (naturally) misinformed their listeners that such California DL's are for "illegal aliens," not citizens. Totally false.
Old Nov 8, 19, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
... I reapplied for my DL online and got the standard license, which says "Federal Limits Apply."
Btw, I recently found out (on another thread on FT), that right wing media outlets have (naturally) misinformed their listeners that such California DL's are for "illegal aliens," not citizens. Totally false.
Right-wing media and its followers don't seem to know the difference between "citizenship" and "legal presence". Having said that, I do think think that most of "limited" licenses holders will be (a) illegal immigrants and (b) citizens who don't need it or do it out of protest against REAL-ID. Something tells me that the overwhelming majority of legal aliens will choose to get the REAL-ID compliant licenses no matter how hard it may be. So, if you are a citizen but don't look American enough (e.g., being non-white, speaking with an accent, etc), having a "Federal Limits Apply" license may (wrongly) imply to others that you are indeed in this country illegally.
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König View Post
Right-wing media and its followers don't seem to know the difference between "citizenship" and "legal presence". Having said that, I do think think that most of "limited" licenses holders will be (a) illegal immigrants and (b) citizens who don't need it or do it out of protest against REAL-ID. Something tells me that the overwhelming majority of legal aliens will choose to get the REAL-ID compliant licenses no matter how hard it may be. So, if you are a citizen but don't look American enough (e.g., being non-white, speaking with an accent, etc), having a "Federal Limits Apply" license may (wrongly) imply to others that you are indeed in this country illegally.

Why did you reference Right-wing media and its followers?

Has anyone seen any stats for how many people are expected to not have Real ID compliant ID come DHS's deadline?
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Has anyone seen any stats for how many people are expected to not have Real ID compliant ID come DHS's deadline?
I guess it's difficult to predict, but among my group of friends and colleagues, having Real ID seems to be the exception, not the norm. I know the deadline is still a year away, but I think it's safe to say that a substantial number of people who are not illegal aliens will have ID with the "federal limits apply" notation when the deadline arrives.
Old Nov 9, 19, 11:05 am

I was replying to another post in this thread that referenced right-wing media.

You need to clarify if you're asking in connection to being able to fly or just having RealID licenses in general.

Search this Thread