Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Are US passport cards a common form of ID used by identity thieves?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Originally Posted by Article
...... “there is a lot of fraud activity around our location” and employees were warned to be on the lookout for customers using US passport cards as they are a common form of ID used by identity thieves to make fraudulent purchases.
http://www.thedailyworld.com/news/fa...cond-incident/

Are passport cards really more of a common form of ID used by identity thieves for fraudulent purposes than driver licenses?

I've never had problems using my passport card as ID during travel except in rare circumstances when dealing with the TSA travel document/ID checkers.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
People have been coming up with fake driver's licenses for decades, well before there was such a thing as a passport card. Other than the referenced article that's the first I've heard of fake passport cards but I'm not surprised. Thieves are inventive folk and give them enough time and the resources and they'll come up with a fake whatever if they think they can get away with it. I'm guessing mechants are less familiar with passport cards and maybe the fakes are convincing so thieves will use those as long as they can. Well before any notion of REAL ID states were, and still are, in a constant battle to make their driver's licenses harder to fake and are often one step behind resourceful thieves. Guess we can add passport cards to the list.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47
People have been coming up with fake driver's licenses for decades, well before there was such a thing as a passport card. Other than the referenced article that's the first I've heard of fake passport cards but I'm not surprised. Thieves are inventive folk and give them enough time and the resources and they'll come up with a fake whatever if they think they can get away with it. I'm guessing mechants are less familiar with passport cards and maybe the fakes are convincing so thieves will use those as long as they can. Well before any notion of REAL ID states were, and still are, in a constant battle to make their driver's licenses harder to fake and are often one step behind resourceful thieves. Guess we can add passport cards to the list.
DLs from REAL ID states are already in use by identity thieves.

It's just weird to me that passport cards would be seen as more susceptible for fraudulent use by identity thieves than DLs are.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I agree and didn't mean to imply REAL ID has had any impact on cutting down on forgeries. Where there's a will there's a way. Looking at the passport card I'd think it would be much easier to forge a driver's license but then again I have no idea what the forged passport cards look like. They may be bad forgeries but the thieves get away with it, at least initially or for now, as passport cards are not all that common or familiar to merchants. As an aside I'm rarely asked for ID for any transaction unless I'm writing a check and I rarely write checks.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I agree and didn't mean to imply REAL ID has had any impact on cutting down on forgeries. Where there's a will there's a way. Looking at the passport card I'd think it would be much easier to forge a driver's license but then again I have no idea what the forged passport cards look like. They may be bad forgeries but the thieves get away with it, at least initially or for now, as passport cards are not all that common or familiar to merchants. As an aside I'm rarely asked for ID for any transaction unless I'm writing a check and I rarely write checks.
I'm asked for ID at US retailers when I'm doing returns sometimes. Other than that almost never at US retailers. Then again, I'm not usually going into stores to sign up for or change cell phone service plans/contracts. I say that because this passport card fraud thing came up in the context of a cell phone service store/company. Maybe it's the lack of address on ID thing that drives that concern.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Maybe it's the lack of address on ID thing that drives that concern.
Many clerks and just plain folk are conditioned to believe that acceptable ID must have an address on it. But then without noticing the contradiction, they will at the same time accept some employer identification (particularly when it is from a government employer). Sheeple!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
Many clerks and just plain folk are conditioned to believe that acceptable ID must have an address on it. But then without noticing the contradiction, they will at the same time accept some employer identification (particularly when it is from a government employer). Sheeple!
I am finally seeing clerks accept the passport card as ID, even to buy pseudoephedrine.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, that was my thought also--people don't see many of them so they won't be as good at recognizing fakes.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:16 pm

The quality of passport cards was never that good to begin with, and its design hasn't changed since 2010 or so. To me, it looks like the current California DL has more security features than the passport card.

The only problem for those using forged passport cards might be that store and bank clerks may simply refuse to accept the passport card as an ID -- not because they suspect it is forged but because they don't know what it is.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by König
The only problem for those using forged passport cards might be that store and bank clerks may simply refuse to accept the passport card as an ID -- not because they suspect it is forged but because they don't know what it is.
My wife once had that problem with a regular passport!

Her vision isn't up to driving so she has a non-driver's ID. At the time in question such IDs here had no expiration date. She had a questionable check so we went to the bank of issue to cash it (this was back when you weren't charged for doing so.)

Non-driver's ID? No, we can't accept this because it doesn't have an expiration date.
US Passport? I don't recall the objection but they didn't want it, just bring your driver's license! Idiot, yesterday you rejected her non-driver's ID. Anyone who has a non-driver's ID doesn't have a driver's license and almost certainly can't get one. We had to get a manager involved to get the passport accepted.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
My wife once had that problem with a regular passport!

Her vision isn't up to driving so she has a non-driver's ID. At the time in question such IDs here had no expiration date. She had a questionable check so we went to the bank of issue to cash it (this was back when you weren't charged for doing so.)

Non-driver's ID? No, we can't accept this because it doesn't have an expiration date.
US Passport? I don't recall the objection but they didn't want it, just bring your driver's license! Idiot, yesterday you rejected her non-driver's ID. Anyone who has a non-driver's ID doesn't have a driver's license and almost certainly can't get one. We had to get a manager involved to get the passport accepted.
Only in the US is a passport not good enough for identification!

My grandparents (both in their late 70s!!!) were asked for ID at a Target, they were then told that their EU driving licences wasn't good enough as they didn't have a magstripe or barcode. They then proceeded to give their passports and were again told it wasn't good enough as she'd never seen a passport before and only Canadian and US IDs were acceptable! They had to get a manager involved!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The quality of passport cards was never that good to begin with, and its design hasn't changed since 2010 or so. To me, it looks like the current California DL has more security features than the passport card.

Why do you consider the quality of the US passport cards to never have been that good?

The US passport cards are no more insecure that most US driver's licenses; rather they have more security features incorporated than most US driver's licenses from what I can tell.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Only in the US is a passport not good enough for identification!

My grandparents (both in their late 70s!!!) were asked for ID at a Target, they were then told that their EU driving licences wasn't good enough as they didn't have a magstripe or barcode. They then proceeded to give their passports and were again told it wasn't good enough as she'd never seen a passport before and only Canadian and US IDs were acceptable! They had to get a manager involved!
I suspect that's what really happened--the teller probably didn't know how to handle the situation and didn't want to admit it.

I know that on occasion in China I have trouble at the internet cafe using my passpoprt. The regular clerks know how to handle my passport but sometimes I find an unfamiliar one that can't figure out how to get the system to work.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:09 pm

Semi related story: When passport cards were new I used it to enter a bar in Toronto. The young woman checking IDs said "I can tell this is fake, luckily I don't care" then let me in. I was left a bit perplexed.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Section 107
Many clerks and just plain folk are conditioned to believe that acceptable ID must have an address on it.
Many businesses, especially financial institutions, places selling alcohol/tobacco, have ID guides to handles forgery.

In addition, many business will require a second form of ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.