FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   The TSA frankly cant and never will be of use to us (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1795307-tsa-frankly-cant-never-will-use-us.html)

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Oct 7, 2016 5:54 pm

The TSA frankly cant and never will be of use to us

In the end, we still have to remember that the TSA frankly cant and never will be of use to us.

The fact of the matter is the one thing that truly is scary is the one thing no one is prepared for: chemical/biological attacks. And attacks on the security lines themselves.

Thankfully, no significant chemical attacks on airports have occurred outside of Donetsk. However, they still pose a complete threat as it can effect everyone in both the secured and open areas effectively taking down an airport with in minutes.

We have hazard squads but they simply are ill-fit to handle this as some bacterial based biological weapons can be easily made and immediately put to use as soon as a terrorist walks through that door.

The lines move slow, giving people no time to run from conventional attacks and only threaten civilians all the more in situations like these.

Managed Inclusion and security is useless in the fact that..

-We've under protected our tarmacs and have frequent fence jumping
-(I'm likely going to get SSSS on my next trip for saying this) Anyone could walk into a busy hub like ATL and wreck havoc in the enclosed checkpoints before people would have time to act
-Both metal detectors and AITs are ineffective against non-metallic explosives, like PETN. The very reason they were introduced in the first place.
-The dogs have actually been proven ineffective on a myriad of occassions and the drug swaps have occasionally flagged chocolate residue as cocaine (look this up, I'm actually not kidding)

None of our procedures work, none. And we need to focus on what really matters intelligence and protecting from what will definitely be our next wave of attacks, insider attacks, chemical attacks, and most recently fence jumping.

saizai Oct 8, 2016 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM (Post 27317706)
-Both metal detectors and AITs are ineffective against non-metallic explosives, like PETN. The very reason they were introduced in the first place.

ETD detects them.

But also, you're focusing a bit too much on "can people re-do what they did last time".

If you think simply "how can people do something that would cause a huge amount of damage, death, or disruption", there are a whole lot more targets than planes. Plane travel is safer than nearly anything.

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Oct 8, 2016 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by saizai (Post 27320477)
ETD detects them.

But also, you're focusing a bit too much on "can people re-do what they did last time".

If you think simply "how can people do something that would cause a huge amount of damage, death, or disruption", there are a whole lot more targets than planes. Plane travel is safer than nearly anything.

I agree with you on that planes are the safest form of travel. Heck, I trust it enough to be in one of Delta's largest hubs almost every week. And the chance of dying in a plane crash is substantially less than that of, well say.. A car crash -about 100k times safer in fact.

However, that doesn't change that the TSA is still useless. I addressed the failure of our ETDs anyways in there. They simply are prone to false positives (like chocolate), and in some cases have been shown be easily bypassed with the use of consistent hand washing, gloves, and plastic wrapping, and different clothes once the explosives have been fully wrapped and hidden. The only issue is, instead of the explosives triggering it, it'll be the soap they used from the night before. https://travelersunited.org/getting-...atic-overhaul/

flyerCO Oct 9, 2016 3:05 am

I think you're confusing what TSAs job is. They don't provide security/protection on the ground. They never have and never will. This is the polices job. TSA is solely to protect aginst threats while using the mode of transportation. Be it plane, train, or ship.

GUWonder Oct 9, 2016 6:01 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27322336)
I think you're confusing what TSAs job is. They don't provide security/protection on the ground. They never have and never will. This is the polices job. TSA is solely to protect aginst threats while using the mode of transportation. Be it plane, train, or ship.

The TSA does claim to provide security/protection on the ground, and it even claims the right to approve or disapprove of tarmac security measures for US flights -- whether or not the airport is even in the US.

The TSA doesn't act as if they are in charge only of security/protection in-flight, on-ship, on-train.

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Oct 9, 2016 10:05 am

No, they both work as an intertwined system. The entire point of the TSA is to create a secure airside environment both on the ground and air by screening passengers. Which is near meaningless as the checkpoints themselves are the true targets. In some cases, people w/ SSSS have been screened after reaching their destination. Completely useless and in no way will protect future flights.

Though saizai's right, airplanes aren't just the main focus anymore. Heck, I'm more afraid of food tampering than anything else. Despite that, the possibility is still there. And still should be of heavy concern; as the damage caused by a hijacked airplane can be catastrophic in some cases. Nevertheless, many terrorists regardless of what they plan on doing can get away with clean background checks and have the oppurtunity to get in more scary places. Like food and drug producers (sysco/Bayer), pharmacies, and factories.

Carl Johnson Oct 9, 2016 11:55 am

They don't do that either.

BSBD Oct 10, 2016 2:59 am

This is not correct. TSA has been used quite a few times for event security at football games, soccer games, political rallies, and "celebrity" events.

flyerCO Oct 10, 2016 5:31 am

Originally Posted by BSBD (Post 27326548)
This is not correct. TSA has been used quite a few times for event security at football games, soccer games, political rallies, and "celebrity" events.

The secret service does that. However I've not seen TSA agents working security at the above. When they do appear, generally it's to help protect against attacks on the transportation methods used by those involved, not for security in general.

TSA had to protect the sterile area at airports because that's where people wait to board a plane. However they're job isn't to protect against threats on the landslide of security at an airport. It falls with the police. They work in conjuction, but each has its own area that it's looking after.

GUWonder Oct 10, 2016 6:29 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27326789)
The secret service does that. However I've not seen TSA agents working security at the above. When they do appear, generally it's to help protect against attacks on the transportation methods used by those involved, not for security in general.

TSA had to protect the sterile area at airports because that's where people wait to board a plane. However they're job isn't to protect against threats on the landslide of security at an airport. It falls with the police. They work in conjuction, but each has its own area that it's looking after.

As of recent years at least, the USSS doesn't do it as much as TSA. The TSA is there for security in general at various big events more than USSS is, when it comes to screening event visitors.

TSA does some landslide security at airports too.

BSBD Oct 10, 2016 7:49 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27326789)

Still not correct. Friendly suggestion - perhaps you should do a little research on this topic.

Boggie Dog Oct 10, 2016 8:32 am

The simple fact that TSA has approval authority over an airports security plan clearly shows that the TSA role extends beyond control of the sterile area. I don't think everyone fully understands just how far reaching TSA tentacles are.

chollie Oct 10, 2016 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 27327293)
The simple fact that TSA has approval authority over an airports security plan clearly shows that the TSA role extends beyond control of the sterile area. I don't think everyone fully understands just how far reaching TSA tentacles are.

Correct. it's been a while, but in the past they've accosted people in parking lots - even rental car return lots, IIRC.

TSA's reach extends anywhere the subservient local LEOs will accompany them: roads, football games, train stations, bus stations - once they were even going to show up at a Santa Fe high school prom.

saizai Oct 11, 2016 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 27327529)
Correct. it's been a while, but in the past they've accosted people in parking lots - even rental car return lots, IIRC.

TSA's reach extends anywhere the subservient local LEOs will accompany them: roads, football games, train stations, bus stations - once they were even going to show up at a Santa Fe high school prom.

Sources please?

Section 107 Oct 12, 2016 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 27327529)

This is hyperbole. TSA itself does not have jurisdiction outside of what it's authorizing legislation provides.

However, under 49 USC TSA has very broad authority regarding security over "modes of transportation." However, its reach "extends" to other non-transportation related areas (ball games, political conventions, etc) only when it is invited to assist another agency that actually does have authority over that area by assisting/augmenting the authorized agency's workforce. When assisting at those non-transportation areas TSA's authority will only reach as far as that of the inviting organization and even then, will be quite limited (a LE organization cannot "deputize" the TSA with arrest powers, etc.).