Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA seized my medicine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
This is why they failed to find 95% of contraband.

They are not looking at things and asking : "is it WEI"?
I've said that a few times.

Meanwhile, the absurdity goes on. A leg massager isn't permitted because it could be used as a bludgeon - but a rolling pin is permitted. Why? Because one is on the list and the other isn't, not because anyone has actually considered whether or not someone is really going to get anywhere trying to take down a plane with a leg massager. But TSA will miss guns looking for those massagers.
No, the leg massager is prohibited because excessive leg shaking is on the Behavioral Detection list, and the massager can be used to artificially prevent leg shaking that would give a terrorist away. I've seen plenty of people using leg massagers for just that purpose. If a terrorist needs a leg massager and doesn't have one, nervousness will make him (for example) put his right leg in, take his right leg out, put his right leg in, and then shake it all about (the giveaway). He will then prove unable to keep himself from doing the Hokey Pokey and turning himself around.

And that's what it's all about!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: A few, *G,
As a blanket reply to those who questioned my comment of gaming the system. The op specifically said he brought thru someone else bug spray and sunscreen, just because. Whose medical need was he championing?

I am sympathetic, the outrage toward the tsa is warranted in many cases. So in fairness when a pax practices a similar disregard for the rules, spirit or letter, where is the outrage of their actions? This thread was about toothpaste, what if it were hemorrhoid cream. Or any other salve, homemade or store bought. He claims so therefore it's above reproach? LOL

The rules always suck, and every instance of gaming those rules will cause the rules writers to entrench further. They have to, it's their job to try to get ahead of those probing for holes to breach. So support those who have medical needs instead of partisan support of any claim it's a drug/medicine cuz they bought it at the drugstore. I'm quite certain when it was a few people looking for exceptions they were granted. But as the numbers of requests rise, then absurd claims like oversized grocery store toothpaste get rejected.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by surreycrv
As a blanket reply to those who questioned my comment of gaming the system. The op specifically said he brought thru someone else bug spray and sunscreen, just because. Whose medical need was he championing?

I am sympathetic, the outrage toward the tsa is warranted in many cases. So in fairness when a pax practices a similar disregard for the rules, spirit or letter, where is the outrage of their actions? This thread was about toothpaste, what if it were hemorrhoid cream. Or any other salve, homemade or store bought. He claims so therefore it's above reproach? LOL

The rules always suck, and every instance of gaming those rules will cause the rules writers to entrench further. They have to, it's their job to try to get ahead of those probing for holes to breach. So support those who have medical needs instead of partisan support of any claim it's a drug/medicine cuz they bought it at the drugstore. I'm quite certain when it was a few people looking for exceptions they were granted. But as the numbers of requests rise, then absurd claims like oversized grocery store toothpaste get rejected.
This is a sleight of hand. The rules allow the things the OP wanted to bring. Nobody is "gaming the system." The rules don't include the rule you wrote yourself, that anything over 100 ml has to be "a substance that you think is medically necessary."

The OP wasn't trying to "game the rules," Sai wasn't trying to "game the rules," the only people "gaming the rules" are the clerks who take it on themselves to decide whether something that is declared by a passenger to be a medical LGA, "really is" a medical LGA. That's a judgment a TSA clerk isn't qualified to make.

The OP wasn't looking for an exception. The OP wanted the clerks to FOLLOW THE RULES. In Sai's TSA incident, the clerks KNEW the stuff he wanted was allowed UNDER the RULES, they SAID THEY KNEW IT, but they stopped it anyway out of spite.

Nobody is "probing for holes" in order to get toothpaste on board. If a 4-ounce or 8-ounce tube of toothpaste is allowed on board, that isn't going to result in a flood of giant tubes of toothpaste.

What's happening is that nobody needs to probe for holes. The "security" provided by the TSA is basically a ring - almost nothing BUT hole. The TSA lets through 95% of potentially dangerous items, and an important reason for this is that all the clerks' attention is focused on looking for cupcakes and arguing with passengers over whether or not something "really is" a medical liquid.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by surreycrv

Who is gaming the system?

The rules say 'no WEI'.

If an item can be safely cleared because it's 'medical', then it was never a threat in the first place and it should always be allowed.

Come on. It's stupid for a TSO to say "You have a 6 ounce tube of something. If it is 'medical', I can clear it and it's OK. If it is 'personal', I refuse to clear it and I confiscate it".

TSA's gaming the system, not the pax.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush

As a result, my DDS recommends the heavy use of this specific item.

I'm not doing this for my own jollies. I'm doing it so people like my co-worker won't get skin cancer. I'm doing it so the high school baseball players don't get West Nile or Zika.
I applaud the OPs passion and share the frustration with TSA operations. However...

While the OP tried to do something nice for the other passengers in helping get oversized items through, I think the issue here is that this battle was someone else’s fight, not the OPs. In taking on that fight, the OP lied. The OP is clearly not the first person to lie about medical necessity (perceived, justified, whatever), or oh I forgot those restricted items were in my carryon, etc. and as such, the TSA challenges.

Flight destination is an important consideration because though an item may be common one place, it may not be so accessible other places, internationally in particular. If an item is medically necessary, as opposed to preferred, why not simply have a written physician’s note to accompany the product…think, if it isn’t documented (dr. note), it doesn’t exist. It might be an effective way to minimize any disruption in flight services.

Sure, items such as inhalers that might be needed on flight are important to have on hand. Perhaps requiring a certain suntan lotion to have immediately upon leaving the airport to protect against an unfriendly climate might be necessary. But having that doctor’s note in hand will add to the legitimacy of the claim.

Yes, I know that onboarding items in sample size is irritating and it’s costly. Unfortunately, these sometimes harsh or ridiculous procedures were put in place as a likely result of some ridiculous, or maybe dangerous, action somewhere along the way that prompted it.

There’s a difference between what we want and what we need. There is a difference between what is necessary and what is recommended…and oftentimes, that’s where the abuse, followed by absurd rules, begins.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by notmypetunia
I applaud the OPs passion and share the frustration with TSA operations. However...

While the OP tried to do something nice for the other passengers in helping get oversized items through, I think the issue here is that this battle was someone else’s fight, not the OPs. In taking on that fight, the OP lied. The OP is clearly not the first person to lie about medical necessity (perceived, justified, whatever), or oh I forgot those restricted items were in my carryon, etc. and as such, the TSA challenges.

Flight destination is an important consideration because though an item may be common one place, it may not be so accessible other places, internationally in particular. If an item is medically necessary, as opposed to preferred, why not simply have a written physician’s note to accompany the product…think, if it isn’t documented (dr. note), it doesn’t exist. It might be an effective way to minimize any disruption in flight services.

Sure, items such as inhalers that might be needed on flight are important to have on hand. Perhaps requiring a certain suntan lotion to have immediately upon leaving the airport to protect against an unfriendly climate might be necessary. But having that doctor’s note in hand will add to the legitimacy of the claim.

Yes, I know that onboarding items in sample size is irritating and it’s costly. Unfortunately, these sometimes harsh or ridiculous procedures were put in place as a likely result of some ridiculous, or maybe dangerous, action somewhere along the way that prompted it.

There’s a difference between what we want and what we need. There is a difference between what is necessary and what is recommended…and oftentimes, that’s where the abuse, followed by absurd rules, begins.
TSA has NEVER accepted a doctor's note, claiming it could be counterfeited.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:48 pm

Reading this is just surreal. Do you not understand that an item that a passenger presents as medical item IS a medical item?

That's.

The.

Rule.

The OP wasn't trying to bring in an "oversized item." He was trying to bring in a regulation-size medical item. The clerk took it on himself to rewrite the rules without any authority.

The fight was the OP's fight, because of the concept of agency - the ability to make a choice to act in a particular way.

I know the rules were put in place for a reason, but the rule is that the clerk was supposed to allow the OP's toothpaste. And as we keep saying, the TSA lets 95% of WEI through the checkpoint, and a large part of the reason for that is that they spend all their time trying to intercept water bottles and toothpaste.

What the OP was doing was trying to get the clerk to

Follow.

The.

Rules.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:53 pm

CarlJohnson, the OP had previously mentioned trying to assist other passengers bring in oversized bug spray and suntan lotion, items which I didn't read to be presented as medical items by the owners of those items. Those items really weren't the OPs fight as they weren't the OPs belongings; the toothpaste was the OPs fight. I fully understand the concept of wanting to be a champion of the cause, however.

Like I said, I applaud the passion and share the frustration.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:25 pm

CarlJohnson, the OP had previously mentioned trying to assist other passengers bring in oversized bug spray and suntan lotion, items which I didn't read to be presented as medical items by the owners of those items. Those items really weren't the OPs fight as they weren't the OPs belongings; the toothpaste was the OPs fight. I fully understand the concept of wanting to be a champion of the cause, however.

Like I said, I applaud the passion and share the frustration.
I'm not seeing the problem.

The people whose medical items they were, were RIGHT THERE, but they didn't know how to deal with clerks that don't want to follow the rules, so the OP took over the task of forcing the clerks to actually follow the rules.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:38 am

"The people whose medical items they were"

I think that was my point. It was my understanding that the coworker and the individual on the baseball team never said that their items were medical items, meaning they were simply non-travel sized lotion and spray.

Had the owners of those items presented the products as medical items, it would have been commendable for the OP to step in to help keep the TSA on task. In this particular instance, we don't know if those items were medical or not, I didn't get that impression anyway, and it's not clear if the OP knew if they were medical or not. If they were not medical products for those people then the TSA did follow the rules.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:44 am

I think that was my point. It was my understanding that the coworker and the individual on the baseball team never said that their items were medical items, meaning they were simply non-travel sized lotion and spray.

Had the owners of those items presented the products as medical items, it would have been commendable for the OP to step in to help keep the TSA on task. In this particular instance, we don't know if those items were medical or not, I didn't get that impression anyway, and it's not clear if the OP knew if they were medical or not. If they were not medical products for those people then the TSA did follow the rules.
Insect repellent.

Sun block.

Medical.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:31 am

Those pax did not understand that if you present an item and don't say the magic word*, it will get confiscated.

Say the magic word, and Presto! - your item is rendered safe to take on the plane.

This is no different that politely reminding someone in front of you that they will need to put their LGAs in a regulation Kippie bag to neutralize them - otherwise, those same items will be confiscated.

Me, I don't see anything wrong about trying to help other folks around me if I see that they don't understand what's going on.

* magic word = 'medical'
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Insect repellent.

Sun block.

Medical.
Zika or West Nile

Melanoma

Yep, they are medical for certain.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Those pax did not understand that if you present an item and don't say the magic word*, it will get confiscated.

Say the magic word, and Presto! - your item is rendered safe to take on the plane.

This is no different that politely reminding someone in front of you that they will need to put their LGAs in a regulation Kippie bag to neutralize them - otherwise, those same items will be confiscated.

Me, I don't see anything wrong about trying to help other folks around me if I see that they don't understand what's going on.

* magic word = 'medical'
I think it's more than that, or can be. It isn't just a matter of knowing the rules, it's a matter of being able to deal with clerks who don't want to follow the rules, while keeping a cool head. By now, I really really know what's going on, but I probably would still give stuff the OP in that situation. I watched his City Council segment. Unyieldingly resolute, but cheerful, friendly, and absolutely unflappable.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:00 am

A few hours ago, @TSA put up a new post reminding pax that they are required to inform a screener before entering the checkpoint that they are traveling with meds.

Is it appropriate to confiscate meds solely because they were not declared ahead of time?

They illustrated their post with a photo of various meds.

Front and center is a bottle half-full of pills.

Pills. Not liquids. Not gels.

Last edited by chollie; Oct 18, 2016 at 11:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.