Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA seized my medicine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Where?
I bolded it in the post you quoted. But here it is again.

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I sure surprised the heck out of the FSD and his TWO "Executive Assistants" when I showed up at 8:15am at their off-airport office this morning.

More details to come, once they cut a check for compensation, as promised.

I'll state the airport (c'mon, only like 10 choices) and what the 6oz non-aersol, non-liquid medical item was when the above happens.

Right now, they are $325.00 in the hole ($5 item, $200 to change my flight, $120 for the nearby airport Hilton).

I've already gotten a Congresswoman's staff involved.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
If it was OTC, you were over the weight limit,,

Next...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:15 am

Phoenix Sky Harbor & toothpaste (OTC, a DDS dictates I use this specific brand, Arm & Hammer, please don't get in a debate over that).

I'll answer some other upthread replies when I get time. Gotta run right now.
Oh please please please say the manager was the same manager from the Stacy Amato incident.

What terminal and checkpoint?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Oh please please please say the manager was the same manager from the Stacy Amato incident.

What terminal and checkpoint?
I think 4C. Today, I'm attending an open public-comment session of the Phoenix City Council. I'll post the video feed link when available.

I've been traveling with > 3.3 ounces medical OTC items for a few years now. Non-script.

Here's some recent successes:

1) 10 oz sun-tan lotion @ MIA. It was a co-worker's he was about to toss it prior to entering checkpoint. I said no, give it to me. I declared it as a medical necessity, got some back talk from the nasty TSO on duty asking me what I use it for and threatening to throw it away. I raised my voice calmly and professionally, stating "I strongly suggest you not do that and do not ever enter conversation with me about what I use medical items for."

Several iPhones came out to video, I think TSO didn't want to become a YouTube star that day as she politely returned all items and we were at the departure gate within 45 seconds. I received many high-fives and applause from fellow passengers!

2) 6oz Johnson & Johnson Bug Spray, Rapid City. There was a high-school baseball team transiting security. I overheard one kid, "oh I forgot to check my bug spray, I'll have to throw it away."

Nope, "give it to me"

I declared it a medical necessity, TSO started to lecture me about it.

A few minutes prior to the TDC, I asked the entire team to video this on their smartphones. Bug spray and I were boarding the UAX RJ within minutes.

The coach was pissed at me. Apparently, he just teaches conformity.

Then there was the time at SDF with 4.5 ounces of KY Jelly.

There's others but I've got unfinished business in PHX to attend.

-TTL
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
I bolded it in the post you quoted. But here it is again.
Thank you, Glad it wasn't a snake.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason I asked whether the FSD had committed to pay $325 as OP suggests he did is that I am interested to see whether FSD's have authority to settle minor claims. That would be unique, but not a bad idea.

But, it also appears that with some further information, this is all a bit overblown. Neither OP, nor his doc, nor TSA (DHS) determine what is an OTC drug.

That is a determination made by FDA either through a review process for the specific drug, e.g., Tylenol, or for a class of items.

http://www.fda.gov/drugs/development...gs/default.htm

As to the branded toothpaste suggested by OP's doc, it is not marketed as an OTC drug and does not even make the claim that it is an OTC drug. This doesn't mean that OP's doc can't recommend its use. Docs do that all the time. But, the fact that a doc recommends the use of a product doesn't make it a drug.

In any event, OP can certainly bring 100 ml. of any toothpaste with him, including the brand his doc recommends.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Arm & Hammer toothpaste is your OTC "medicine?" Man, talk about click bait. Good for you for gaming the system with the suntan lotion and bug spray, but you (imo) misrepresented your situation by referring to a specific consumer toothpaste brand as medicine.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps I should have said medical item?

What is it? A cosmetic? A want?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Perhaps I should have said medical item?

What is it? A cosmetic? A want?
I'm sorry but it's people doing what you're doing that ruin it for those that truly have a medical need. It's clear now that this isn't for medical use, anymore then soap is. You don't like a rule and want TSA to play by your rules. No toothpaste isn't a medicaton in general. There are some toothpastes that are, including some high in fluoride, some to help with fungal/bacterial ingections, etc. However your generic off the shelf toothpaste isn't considered medication.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not only not "considered" a medication, it is neither a "medication" nor a "drug." That is because it is neither under the FDA's rules nor does Arm & Hammer even claim that it is.

Not only does this leave the TSA people and the LEO's assigned to that airport laughing, but it is a good lesson for others on FT who fell for this with demands that the FSD be prosecuted for a felony and the like.

Why not just slow it down before jumping in with both feet and waiting to get the facts? Then, you can blast away if you want.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm sorry but it's people doing what you're doing that ruin it for those that truly have a medical need. It's clear now that this isn't for medical use, anymore then soap is. You don't like a rule and want TSA to play by your rules. No toothpaste isn't a medicaton in general. There are some toothpastes that are, including some high in fluoride, some to help with fungal/bacterial ingections, etc. However your generic off the shelf toothpaste isn't considered medication.
Let me make something real clear to you and others whom may take your position.

Among other ailments, I had/have Brain Cancer (the bad kind) and a TBI.

I normally walk with a cane but time consuming, good (read: costly) physical therapy can cure that. I have two permanent injuries (properly documented as disabilities) that no amount of money will ever make right.

I have a disabled parking permit. I rarely use it. As a matter of a fact, I last used it over a year ago.

As a result of my TBI, I am prohibited from maxillofacial surgery for a time period. I was scheduled to have several oral procedures just prior to the initial TBI.

As a result, my DDS recommends the heavy use of this specific item.

I'm not doing this for my own jollies. I'm doing it so people like my co-worker won't get skin cancer. I'm doing it so the high school baseball players don't get West Nile or Zika.

Clear?

I know what battles to pick and choose. This is very near & dear to my heart.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get travel sized A+H toothpaste at Target. 1.5 ozs. Throw 4 in the Ziploc and avoid the no doubt scintillating discussion with a TSO.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
holy click bait. toothpaste, sunscreen and bug spray? Just check it...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Based on OP's other statements of "incidents" - it is fair to assume he declared the item (toothpaste) as a medically necessary item prior to screening following established procedure.

Now, I have only seen what TSA has put on its website and not its formal, official policy and procedural documents for their definitions of "medical" or "medicine." Therefore I don't know definitively, so correct me if I am misstating what he has said, but according to Sai that's all it takes - TSA is not to determine the medical nature of an item nor determine if it is necessary. Once the declaration is made TSOs are not to evaluate the declaration only the items according to protocol.

Is he exaggerating the claim? Sure seems so. But he didn't write the rules and it is a bit rich for you guys to be defending the TSA by saying a pax is not following the "spirit" of the "rules."
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Often1
It is not only not "considered" a medication, it is neither a "medication" nor a "drug." That is because it is neither under the FDA's rules nor does Arm & Hammer even claim that it is.

Not only does this leave the TSA people and the LEO's assigned to that airport laughing, but it is a good lesson for others on FT who fell for this with demands that the FSD be prosecuted for a felony and the like.

Why not just slow it down before jumping in with both feet and waiting to get the facts? Then, you can blast away if you want.
Please.

First, it exposes the LE who made the smart remark as a complete fool who should be reprimanded. He was not taught to make up fictional laws at the police academy. Further, by rushing to ingratiate himself with the TSOs, he looks like a clown, taking orders from any TSO who snaps his/her fingers.

Second, if someone deserves heat for liberal interpretations of deliberately vague meaningless 'rules', it's the TSA hierarchy. top to bottom, that stands behind decisions to confiscate Buzz Lightyear Grip Toys, nitro pills, frosted cupcakes, and breast milk.

Last edited by chollie; Oct 5, 2016 at 5:07 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.