Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I overreacting to this pat down?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Having been a cop (albeit in the Air Force - but you'd be amazed at stuff that really goes on inside the perimeter) and having actually searched suspects for weapons, I agree that what was done in this case was ridiculous, unnecessary, and a complete violation of privacy, personal space - you name it.

Anyone who needs that many passes to search the groin area has some sort of sensory deficit - or is doing so to be a complete tool.

I am now a nurse. I have stood in rooms as a chaperone with providers doing pelvic exams. I've done physical exams on patients. I've BEEN a patient. If a medical provider did this to me without cause, I'd file suit. If I witnessed a provider doing this to a patient without cause (and really - would there BE a cause?!), I'd report them.

This is not a TSA agent "doing their job" and I have zero sympathy or empathy for any of them that believe this is acceptable.

It's downright disgusting.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pup7
Having been a cop (albeit in the Air Force - but you'd be amazed at stuff that really goes on inside the perimeter) and having actually searched suspects for weapons, I agree that what was done in this case was ridiculous, unnecessary, and a complete violation of privacy, personal space - you name it.

Anyone who needs that many passes to search the groin area has some sort of sensory deficit - or is doing so to be a complete tool.

I am now a nurse. I have stood in rooms as a chaperone with providers doing pelvic exams. I've done physical exams on patients. I've BEEN a patient. If a medical provider did this to me without cause, I'd file suit. If I witnessed a provider doing this to a patient without cause (and really - would there BE a cause?!), I'd report them.

This is not a TSA agent "doing their job" and I have zero sympathy or empathy for any of them that believe this is acceptable.

Maybe this TSA screener just likes to fondle men.@:-)

Happened at Denver.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I was in Boston last year. Opted out and was patted down similar to this. It was a bit quicker though. Didn't really bother me
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
WOW... the interesting thing is that you were in the pre-check line... you would think the pat down would be abbreviated since pre-check members are lower risk. Maybe it is a new policy instruction because just this week I had my crotch groped by TSA while being randomly selected for additional screening in the pre-check line at LAX. The must have been groping everyone because right after he finished fondling me and I grabbed my stuff, a lady in front of me asked me if he grabbed my crotch. I replied "Yep!" and she went over to the TSA desk to complain...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

I hope I'm allowed to say this: I agree completely with your post.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by derelict
WOW... the interesting thing is that you were in the pre-check line... you would think the pat down would be abbreviated since pre-check members are lower risk. Maybe it is a new policy instruction because just this week I had my crotch groped by TSA while being randomly selected for additional screening in the pre-check line at LAX. The must have been groping everyone because right after he finished fondling me and I grabbed my stuff, a lady in front of me asked me if he grabbed my crotch. I replied "Yep!" and she went over to the TSA desk to complain...
Maybe these searches are what was mentioned here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26658947-post620.html
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by jcazes
<...snip...>Then he proceeded to my lower body and felt my groin 7 times and groped the front of my crotch.

My coworker had a good laugh but I'm still frustrated about this and would love to hear what you all think.
I think he liked you...a lot!!

And, NO, you are NOT overreacting! I have said it before and I'll say it again. These pat-downs are WAY TOO INVASIVE!

Last edited by DeafBlonde; Jul 5, 2016 at 7:26 am Reason: Add another comment.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:44 pm

Oh yes, a glove change should have been a priority!

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
One can never overreact to the TSA's useless, abusive, and intrusive sexual assaults.

Did you make him change his gloves?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:25 pm

yes you are over-reacting
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:27 pm

The key there is bolded, the tsa employee had cause, that cause was admitted to by the author of this thread.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have gotten the random alarm whilst in the PreCheck and been given a pat down that moved me about similar to what was shown in the video. I would the say the TSO was a noob doing his first pat down.

I guess the bigger question is why did you move out of the pose?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I have gotten the random alarm whilst in the PreCheck and been given a pat down that moved me about similar to what was shown in the video. I would the say the TSO was a noob doing his first pat down.

I guess the bigger question is why did you move out of the pose?
Mayber because he got feeling weird about it. I would do the same. Anybody doing that to me would have a huge issue. I would move. Shake. Sweat. You name it.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
You didn't want to go through xray so good on them. I dont think there should be a choice. He might of thought you had something to hide.

I've had a full body pat down including all over boobs. It was like firm foreplay where they could tell my bra was underwire and where the lace is

You refused to go in xray so good on them for doing their job.
Your use of the word 'foreplay' in this circumstance says it all. Sadly.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by DocP
"it's a violation of personal, intimate space"

I guess I just don't see it that way. For me not that big a deal. They are doing their jobs. You present to security, you have implied consent. Disagree with the policy, and I do, fine, work on that with your elected representatives, not at the screening site.
What if their jobs involved, say, asking you to disrobe? At what point would you say "implied consent" is no longer in effect?

Originally Posted by DocP
"There must be better ways of making sure you're not carrying anything threatening - and by better I mean less invasive and more accurate."

There are. He opted out.
You have actual data on the effectiveness of body scanners? Please share.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by jah718
You know in China, sometimes you get frisked by a woman security agent.
I've seen that in Japan too. I watched a male colleague being frisked by a very determined Japanese woman at Narita who shoved her hand down the front of his trousers and went around his waist band. He smiled and said, "Sweetheart, if your hand goes down any further we're going to have to get married."

Sadly, I didn't get the same treatment.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jul 4, 2016 at 9:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.