Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:00 am

Dulles Airport Surprises Passengers with Facial-Recognition Boarding

https://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tec...arding/151095/

Some international travelers can leave their boarding passes and passports in their pockets when flying out of Dulles International Airport thanks to a new facial recognition boarding technology that went into operation Thursday.

The new veriScan system developed by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority—with guidance from U.S. Customs and Border Protection—scans the faces of travelers approaching the gate. The system then compares the photo to a gallery that includes images of that person—either their passport photo for U.S. citizens or the photo taken of foreign nationals when they entered the country. The process eliminates the need for an airline employee to manually check every boarding pass and passport while boarding a plane.

The scan takes fractions of a second and has shown to be 99 percent accurate during testing, according to CBP Commissioner Kevin McAleenan, who was joined by MWAA President Jack Potter and airline representatives for an unveiling event Thursday.

<redacted>

A similar version of the technology is also in use for travelers entering the country through Dulles and 13 other international airports. The system notched an early win in August when just three days into operation it flagged an alleged imposter trying to enter the country on a false passport.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 11, 2018 at 10:10 am Reason: FT Rule 9: copyright violation
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The proposition that this kind of thing at the gate speeds up the whole process for passengers leaving the US is a dubious one. CBP and airlines have a history of making their problems into the passengers’ problems and not capturing the right metrics of greatest relevance to speeding things up for passengers while eliminating extreme variance in times.

Also, FRT has a lousy history of producing excessive false negatives when it comes to reviews of perceived minorities of non-European ethnic backgrounds, and amongst the fishing expedition with a lot of false negatives of course the technology identifies some correctly as being wanted by US LEOs.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/26/t...-congress.html

Representative John Lewis of Georgia and Representative Bobby L. Rush of Illinois are both Democrats, members of the Congressional Black Caucus and civil rights leaders.

But facial recognition technology made by Amazon, which is being used by some police departments and other organizations, incorrectly matched the lawmakers with people who had been charged with a crime, the American Civil Liberties Union reported on Thursday morning.
I'd wager that Amazon's isn't the only FRT that does this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1

Indeed, the USG also has FRT in place that produces false positives in sort of the same way too.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:29 pm

An excellent link for anyone who thinks that facial recognition actually saves time. https://theintercept.com/2018/09/26/...-flight-delay/

The report goes on to again bemoan “airlines’ recurring tendency to bypass the biometric matching process in favor of boarding flights for an on-time departure.” DHS, apparently, is worried that it could be habit-forming for the airlines: “Repeatedly permitting airlines to revert to standard flight-boarding procedures without biometric processing may become a habit that is difficult to break.”
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1

Representative John Lewis of Georgia and Representative Bobby L. Rush of Illinois are both Democrats, members of the Congressional Black Caucus and civil rights leaders.

But facial recognition technology made by Amazon, which is being used by some police departments and other organizations, incorrectly matched the lawmakers with people who had been charged with a crime, the American Civil Liberties Union reported on Thursday morning.
Rush is 71 and Lewis is 78. I suspect, among other things, that this FRT cannot distinguish between two similar faces of drastically different ages. I'd be willing to bet that the criminals who matched with Lewis and Rush weren't even close to their ages being near 70.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Saw a blogger saying US plans to mug shot everyone departing by 2021.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wco81
Saw a blogger saying US plans to mug shot everyone departing by 2021.
Governments are inclined to become increasingly authoritarian and pervasively intrusive at that, and the public is susceptible to believing that sacrificing privacy and freedom protects the public. And so expect it, even if it’s delayed by a few more years than that.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Governments are inclined to become increasingly authoritarian and pervasively intrusive at that, and the public is susceptible to believing that sacrificing privacy and freedom protects the public. And so expect it, even if it’s delayed by a few more years than that.
Well who didn't think this would end up being used on all travelers?
And of course the thought had to cross your mind that this would eventually be used to deny some Americans the free right to leave the country, like the travel rules Germany implemented in the 1930's
That's paranoid but certainly not inconceivable.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by oakland
A similar version of the technology is also in use for travelers entering the country through Dulles and 13 other international airports. The system notched an early win in August when just three days into operation it flagged an alleged imposter trying to enter the country on a false passport.
Experienced it today at LAX TB. All the APC kiosks were closed replaced by a very short US/Canada citizens line and an announcement that the customs form was not needed. You hand over your passport, perhaps get a few questions then your photo is taken and you are on your way assuming there is no problem.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:25 am

Among other things, shouldn't Objective 3.3 have been accomplished years ago?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

This reminds me of what happened to me at DUB. They did not give out forms to anyone and the kiosks were off. I spoke with a person and then a camera went off. He was annoyed that I did not look directly in the camera at first before taking another photo.

The thing that bothered me was that they did not describe what was happening--that they were using biometric identification, etc. It seemed like they tried to take photos in a manner discreet enough that many would likely have no idea what was happening.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:47 pm

That TSA Biometrics Vision looks really Orwellian and sinister, all sorts of hyperbole and mission creep. All that hullaballoo designed for people getting on planes.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by guflyer
This reminds me of what happened to me at DUB. They did not give out forms to anyone and the kiosks were off. I spoke with a person and then a camera went off. He was annoyed that I did not look directly in the camera at first before taking another photo.

The thing that bothered me was that they did not describe what was happening--that they were using biometric identification, etc. It seemed like they tried to take photos in a manner discreet enough that many would likely have no idea what was happening.
Yes - it used to be that if the APCs weren't active you were "safe" (if the APCs were in use, I would use the foreign visitor lanes that did not use APC). The last three times I've re-entered the US, APCs were not in use but I noticed they were taking everyone's pictures when going through.

I now make a habit of holding my suit jacket up over most of my face when I walk up to the officer and intentionally stand far to the left (far away from the webcam). That is enough to make sure that they don't get a clean photo to add to their database. And, to the credit of the CBP (which, while I hate them, are clearly more knowledgeable and trained than the TSA), it has never resulted in me getting secondary. I politely tell them that I have no legal obligation to have my picture taken to re-enter the country, they put an exception code in the facial recognition screen, and let me pass through.

Just to alleviate any doubt that everyone is being put through facial recongition tech - I overhead one of the agents asking a superior how to bypass the facial recognition screen two weeks ago after I declined to get my picture taken.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:45 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
art.: CBP’s Facial Biometrics Program Has Caught 26 Alleged Imposters

This was discussed a bit in some other threads (merge if you like). I was almost surprised to hear about the ceiling mounted cams for citizens also.

CBP’s Facial Biometrics Program Has Caught 26 Alleged Imposters

https://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tec...osters/152957/

EDIT- I have no idea why my post is in such large font; not intentional...

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Nov 22, 2018 at 6:24 pm Reason: to note large font not intentional
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian

This was discussed a bit in some other threads (merge if you like). I was almost surprised to hear about the ceiling mounted cams for citizens also.

CBP’s Facial Biometrics Program Has Caught 26 Alleged Imposters

https://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech/2018/11/cbps-facial-biometrics-program-has-caught-26-alleged-imposters/152957/
What they don't say is how many people the program has flagged down as alleged impostors but who weren't imposters. It also doesn't say how many alleged imposters have been caught without use of the current facial biometrics program.
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.